Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Does the latest version work for you?
Yes 92 89.32%
No 11 10.68%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-12-2012, 06:11 AM   #511
dpavlin
Connoisseur
dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Kindle K3G and DXG
Amazon source on github

Thank you all for hints, but I didn't describe my problem well enough, it seems.

I'm interested in recompiling DXG kernel (mario, 2.6.22) and not K3 (luigi, 2.6.26) kernel. As first step toward this goal, I imported all Amazon kernel changes on top of upstream 2.6.22.19 kernel here:

https://github.com/dpavlin/linux/tre...6.22.19-lab126

git log -p is very interesting read. I can also see some changes related to audio, so I hope that right kernel might fix audio problems on DXG, that's why I originally asked yifanlu which kernel is part of prepare package.

In the process, I also did same for 2.6.26 for K3 here:

https://github.com/dpavlin/linux/tre...-2.6.26-lab126

I can also do the same for K4 and K5 kernels if anybody is interested...

Should I move this kernel-related discussion to another thread?

Last edited by dpavlin; 09-12-2012 at 08:26 AM. Reason: is this wrong thread for this discussion?
dpavlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #512
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@dpavlin: AFAIK, the Kindle kernels (since the K3) have all been based on a mix of Freescale/Ingo Molnar RT kernels, not Linus's upstream.

Once the merge is done, it probably doesn't change much, but that might have made the 'first' merge a little less painful/noisy .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-12-2012 at 12:08 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #513
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpavlin View Post
I can also do the same for K4 and K5 kernels if anybody is interested...
I am interested. I want custom kernels for K4/K5 too.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #514
dpavlin
Connoisseur
dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Kindle K3G and DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@dpavlin: AFAIK, the Kindle kernels (since the K3) have all been based on a mix of Freescale/Ingo Molnar RT kernels, not Linus's upstream.

Once the merge is done, it probably doesn't change much, but that might have made the 'first' merge a little less painful/noisy .
I thought same thing, and I spent some time experimenting with different "upstream" kernels. This is example for Kindle_src_2.0:

Against kernel.org 2.6.22.19:

Code:
commit b5585d6f15931d9eda83b3866be5f78cfd5d77fa
Author: Kenneth Kiraly <kiraly@lab126.com>
Date:   Tue Sep 11 18:06:59 2012 +0200

/tank/amazon-kindle-src/Kindle_src_2.0_291330095.tar.gz

740 files changed, 315615 insertions(+), 1808 deletions(-)
Against freescale-imx 2.6.22 kernel:

Code:
commit 85b737116cdf09f864b577fd8fbc842aef5e1d45
Author: Kenneth Kiraly <kiraly@lab126.com>
Date:   Wed Sep 12 11:21:39 2012 +0200

Kindle_src_2.0_291330095.tar.gz

1041 files changed, 140234 insertions(+), 110569 deletions(-)
So I opted to based it on kernel.org kernel and not freescale's. I even tested all versions of freescale SDK which ship 2.6.22, and all of them create bigger diff than upstream one.
dpavlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #515
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@dpavlin: Great! Good to know you checked .
Advert
Old 09-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #516
Magus255
Magus255 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Does anyone have a restore.bin file for a Kindle DXG they could send me? My screen partially died so I need to return my kindle and I can't find my restore file. Thanks.
Magus255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:51 AM   #517
vrybas
vrybas has a spectacular aura aboutvrybas has a spectacular aura aboutvrybas has a spectacular aura aboutvrybas has a spectacular aura aboutvrybas has a spectacular aura aboutvrybas has a spectacular aura aboutvrybas has a spectacular aura aboutvrybas has a spectacular aura aboutvrybas has a spectacular aura aboutvrybas has a spectacular aura aboutvrybas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle DXG
Cleanup before installing updates

Hello everyone,

I have Kindle DX, software version 2.5.5, which I want to upgrade to 3.2.1

I can't run official Update_kindle_2.5.8_B009.bin, downloaded from Amazon.
I can't run update_dxg-2.5.8-prepare_kindle.bin to make a backup before update.
I can't run prepared update_kindle_3.2.1.bin, downloaded from torrents.

So, literally, none of any updates. Kindle says "Update is unsuccessful" and fails with error "0003" on the bottom of the "Update" screen. Luckily, after that, it reboots to 2.5.5 and I'm able to use it.

Amazon troubleshooting says that the cause could be 3rd party software, installed on Kindle. And that's true.
There were some hacks installed on it. But the problem is I don't know which ones. I deleted a folder "usbnet", when Kindle was connected to laptop, and now can't gain access to USBNetwork.

So I need to cleanup my Kindle before I be able to install any update. But I need a few things from the community. So please help if you can.

I know that you can "~exec" commands through ;debugOn console. Or, in case of 2.5.5, the format would be "`exec"

My plan is:
1. Dump filesystem tree "`exec find / > fstree.txt" and copy to my laptop.
2. Analyze it. Compare it with brand new 2.5.5 or 2.5.8 filesystem tree.
3. Remove all files, which are not belong to original firmware by "`exec rm -f /path/to/file" in debugging console or, alternatively, upload cleanup script with "rm's" to Kindle and execute it, again through debugging console.
4. Install official 2.5.8, backup it, install 3.2.1

My questions are:
1. Am I on the right path with that?
2. Where should I dump fstree.txt to be able to copy it to my laptop? (full path please)
3. Can someone provide me with clean 2.5.5 or 2.5.8 filesystem tree to compare with?
4. Will I be able to execute custom .sh script on a Kindle through debugging console?
5. What the odds are that I'll be able to run updates after such a cleanup?

Answering even a few of these questions would be a huge help.

Thanks!
vrybas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:14 AM   #518
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrybas View Post

- - - -

Amazon troubleshooting says that the cause could be 3rd party software, installed on Kindle. And that's true.
There were some hacks installed on it. But the problem is I don't know which ones. I deleted a folder "usbnet", when Kindle was connected to laptop, and now can't gain access to USBNetwork.
Sorry, don't I have a clue why the software does not work after you deleted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrybas
- - - -
Compare it with brand new 2.5.5 or 2.5.8 filesystem tree.
Once you have that available, if it is good enough to determine the course of the comparison, its good enough to run.
So just re-install that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrybas
3. Can someone provide me with clean 2.5.5 or 2.5.8 filesystem tree to compare with?
You need to re-phrase that question for posting on the open forums here to accomplish your intent.
It is against site policy to request a copy of copyrighted materials.
Books, Fonts, Software - Any Intellectual Property.

You are allowed to use the PM system to exchange with other members knowledge of where such copies might be obtained.
Or better yet, exchange by PM information on how you may be contacted out-of-band (by off-site method) to discuss such matters.

The statement of site-policy here is being re-written, or perhaps by now has been re-written, to clarify the above situation.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:42 AM   #519
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
So (unless I am utterly wrong) you have deleted usbnetworking folder.

Simply put it back. (you deleted the FAT partition side, which can just be replaced)

you could extract the files from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...2&d=1348014595 using this tool https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2183767

That would fix the USBnetworking at least. (when you have the settings all setup correctly, following the successful replacement of the missing files)

Missing FAT FILES:

Spoiler:
/mnt/us/usbnet
/mnt/us/usbnet/bin
/mnt/us/usbnet/bin/usbnet-disable
/mnt/us/usbnet/bin/htop
/mnt/us/usbnet/bin/dropbearmulti
/mnt/us/usbnet/bin/sftp-server
/mnt/us/usbnet/bin/libkh
/mnt/us/usbnet/bin/usbnet-enable
/mnt/us/usbnet/bin/sshd
/mnt/us/usbnet/bin/rsync
/mnt/us/usbnet/bin/lsof
/mnt/us/usbnet/bin/usbnetwork
/mnt/us/usbnet/bin/kindletool
/mnt/us/usbnet/bin/busybox
/mnt/us/usbnet/bin/mosh-server
/mnt/us/usbnet/info.txt
/mnt/us/usbnet/DISABLED_auto
/mnt/us/usbnet/run
/mnt/us/usbnet/etc
/mnt/us/usbnet/etc/ssh_host_dsa_key
/mnt/us/usbnet/etc/dropbear_dss_host_key
/mnt/us/usbnet/etc/htoprc
/mnt/us/usbnet/etc/terminfo
/mnt/us/usbnet/etc/terminfo/x
/mnt/us/usbnet/etc/terminfo/x/xterm
/mnt/us/usbnet/etc/dropbear_rsa_host_key
/mnt/us/usbnet/etc/moduli
/mnt/us/usbnet/etc/ssh_host_ecdsa_key
/mnt/us/usbnet/etc/sshd_config
/mnt/us/usbnet/etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
/mnt/us/usbnet/etc/config
/mnt/us/usbnet/empty
/mnt/us/usbnet/usbnetwork_install.log

I'm fairly sure most of nilujes hacks can work this way (FAT destroyed? just replace it)

okay - your other point...

find / > /mnt/us/fstree.txt

I' am currently providing you with one of them
(WHICH IS A LIST OF FILENAMES ONLY) Nothing wrong with that...

It's not "Clean" (I don't have a virgin 2.5.8 but this is pretty close) however it works fine and will probably be what you need.

You can clearly see from the listing that I have removed all personal listings (like books and stuff) but I left in everything else.

I see no issue in providing a list of filenames. so I have. Hope you get your issue sorted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_086.png
Views:	323
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	92586  
Attached Files
File Type: gz fstree-2.5.8.B009.txt.tar.gz (68.4 KB, 258 views)
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #520
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus255 View Post
Does anyone have a restore.bin file for a Kindle DXG they could send me? My screen partially died so I need to return my kindle and I can't find my restore file. Thanks.
A "partially dead" screen usually means a broken screen substrate. Returning it should not matter what is installled on it, but you should remove any "incriminating evidence" from the USB drive though.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-19-2012 at 12:29 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #521
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@vrybas: Don't reboot with a custom .bin in the root of your Kindle. Always use the 'Update Your Kindle' link. (That's the root of the 0003 errors).

You can 'restore' usbnet by pulling the usbnet folder from the latest usbnet packages and just plopping it in the root of your Kindle.

And, no, you're not on the right path. Besides losing a crapload of time for nothing, you're gonna delete stuff that the official update doesn't even care about. The only thing preventing an official update to run properly is when a *default* file doesn't match (ie. it was modified). It doesn't care at all about extra files. The easiest way to see which files are causing the update to choke is to check the logs. (;dumpMessages or playing with showlog on the shell).

@twobob: He doesn't even have to unpack the .bin, the folder is already in the src/ folder of the zip packages .

Also, if you want the listing of vanilla files of a Kindle, you don't even have to bother with doing it yourself, and you even get the checksum, which is particularly helpful in this case: check /test/diags/factory/rootfs_md5_list

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-19-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #522
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

well happy days to him then

it was a good exercise, I didn't mind the work. it was about all my diminished brain can handle. Am now collapsing.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #523
pmul
Enthusiast
pmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to behold

Device: K-1, K-2-3G, K-3-3G, K4PC, K4iPhone, K4iPad, K-Touch-Wifi, K-Fire, DXG
Kindle DXG, long wake-up time?

Hi,
I successfully installed the latest version on my Kindle DXG(2.5.8), using my Kindle 3US(3.3) as the source. The install went exactly as described, 100% problem free. The ability to change contrast in PDFs is especially welcome. I can confirm the following side-effects:
  • Rapid battery drain (1-2 days) when 3G is enabled.
  • Long wake-up time (10-15s) when the DXG has been asleep for a while.
  • No active content.
The battery drain is not a big problem. The lack of active content is also not a big problem, I intend to try the fix suggested in this thread. The long wake-up time is a bit of a pain though. Does anyone have any ideas how to tackle this, apart from the method suggested in this thread, "switch off to blank screen"?
pmul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #524
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Does you device create a /var/log/dmesg file?
If so, compress and attach it to a post.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #525
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmul View Post
Hi,
I successfully installed the latest version on my Kindle DXG(2.5.8), using my Kindle 3US(3.3) as the source. The install went exactly as described, 100% problem free. The ability to change contrast in PDFs is especially welcome. I can confirm the following side-effects:
  • Rapid battery drain (1-2 days) when 3G is enabled.
  • Long wake-up time (10-15s) when the DXG has been asleep for a while.
  • No active content.
The battery drain is not a big problem. The lack of active content is also not a big problem, I intend to try the fix suggested in this thread. The long wake-up time is a bit of a pain though. Does anyone have any ideas how to tackle this, apart from the method suggested in this thread, "switch off to blank screen"?
Umm. well my standard 2.5.x DXG runs out in 1-2 days when 3g enabled. not sure how long you were getting before. My only thought would be increased lookups to the amazon server for various bits associated with the newer update. But honestly that sounds about right?

Assuming you have a decent amount of books on the device it could just be that for the wakeup time.

Shoving 800 books on the DX does slow it down a bit.

Thanks for the report, perhaps one day when DX debricking is more fun I will give this a try.

just providing some "thumb in the air" real world metrics for comparison