Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Mini Amazes No One

from WSJ...
Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO—Apple Inc.'s iPad Mini went on sale Friday but there was little evidence of the long lines and razzle-dazzle that greeted the iPhone 5 in September.
What's next? No lines for Starwars 7 3D with previously unseen cuts!?!
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post

What's next? No lines for Starwars 7 3D with previously unseen cuts!?!

ohh there will be. there... will...be
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
ohh there will be. there... will...be
At least the first day.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Troll thread. Quarterly iPhone sales are always 2-3x higher than iPad. Of course you're not going to see the same kind of lineups.

Congratulations OP for buying into linkbait headlines hook, line, and sinker. I am sure the WSJ appreciates your ad impressions.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
And which is more important Gas or Gas?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2064320.html

Apple's iPad Mini Line Rivals Line Of New Yorkers Desperately Seeking Gas (PHOTOS)
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
The lines should have been out the door since the iPad mini has an LCD panel built by Samsung

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/...-from-iphone-5
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Shorter lines doesn't mean the sales will be bad.

First, we have to remember the cellular versions are in the pre-order stage, they are not ready for sale. So who knows how many are waiting for the cellulars.
Second, how many might have pre-ordered because of Hurricane Sandy?
Third, probably many in the northeast US have more to worry about than buying an iPad Mini.
Fourth, many retailers have supplies of the iPad Mini, where the iPhones were so limited. So shorter lines at the Apple stores.

I was truly amazed this morning, I live in a very small town. We have one Best Buy and that's about it for electronics. Unless you count WalMart. Anyway, at 7:00 am this morning, they had to hand out tickets to get into the store at 8:00. By 9:30 their entire stock of Minis were gone. I don't consider this a town interested in technology, so I was truly amazed.

Last edited by mycurlylocks; 11-02-2012 at 01:45 PM.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycurlylocks View Post
I don't consider this a town interested in technology, so I was truly amazed.
I think you got your answer right there. If you know about technology, you'd stay clear of the mini.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I think you got your answer right there. If you know about technology, you'd stay clear of the mini.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Now that really hit the spot!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #11
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Love it
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:49 AM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Ha!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Try this review from NBCNEWS:
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/ga...wait-1C6820707

The reviewer really, really values the iOS ecosystem and apps. Enough to rank the Mini above most every possible competitor available today. (He doesn't mention the NOOK HD+ or FireHD9 since they're not yet officially out, apparently.)

His conclusion:
Quote:
Is there a consistent complaint about the iPad Mini, one that holds up even in Apple's world of "we know better than you" design choices? Yes, it doesn't have a Retina screen. Then ask, what's the chance that Apple fixing this particular problem within 12 months? Answer: 100 percent.

So then the calculus is, how much happiness do I sacrifice by waiting a year for an iPad Mini? Is it worth it to buy a cheaper tablet and put the remaining $140 in the iPad Mini 2 fund? Do I even have the willpower to resist a shiny new Apple product?

WINNER: Non-existent future iPad Mini 2 with Retina display
He may be a fan, but he's a fan who is paid to know technology.
And he prefers a non-existent product to the iPad mini that does exist.

So, your thesis seems to hold up.

(BTW, I have repeatedly seem Macintosh Computers--from the very first--held up as "computers for those that don't want to know about computers". That one holds up, too.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #15
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
So hard to choose
It's a shame it does not even make a good ebook reader.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...194702&page=28
seajewel
Quote:
Got my Mini. The size and weight are remarkable and I appreciate the amount of screen estate. I am disappointed by the screen quality, but I was fully expecting that.. It is pixellated, letters are not sharp/crisp as with high-res displays. It is like going back to an iPad 2, and for a new device released at the end of 2012 and for a premium price, well.. it's non ideal.
NEXUS 7 WiFi 16GB £159.00 - USA $199.00
Ipad mini WiFi 16GB £269 - USA $329 - NO GPS
NEXUS 10 $ WiFi 16GB $299

NEXUS 7 32GB WiFi $249
Ipad mini 32GB Wifii $429.00 - NO GPS

NEXUS 7 32GB WiFi + Mobile data £239.00 USA $299
Ipad mini 32gGB Wi-Fi + Cellular £449.00 USA $559

If you noticed it each memory step up costs $100+ each time for the Ipad mini and the Nexus 7 costs about $50

seajewel
Quote:
I *do* like the 4:3 aspect ratio. there is a lot of screen here to do stuff like reading on. It's about 10 ounces. it really does need to be picked up to believe (in terms of the weight.) I'm fairly invested (not quite the right word, but..) in the iOS app store so it's nice to be able to put games I half-heartedly tried on my iPhone (not very satisfying on a 3.5" screen) on, or to start up iAWriter, which I love. I haven't had time to actually play games or watch movies and I won't until tonight. but as a reading device (which at this size, it should be) it's pretty much a failure.

Last edited by darksaber35; 11-03-2012 at 09:41 AM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote