Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Titles that only look good (or better) on old fashion paper books.

I do love ebooks. I mainly read computer titles, which are very thick and dense; ebooks are awesome for that.

But I've found certain titles, like this one ...

HTML and CSS: Design and Build Websites

... where pages, design and style are simple wonderful on paper. Very difficult to reproduce on a single LCD or 6" sink screen.

Do you know or any other similar title that simple looks gorgeous on paper?

By the way, I am sitting here at B&N reading this awesome book and very tempted to leave here with it, after buying, of course , lol
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
MrTeatime
Connoisseur
MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
House of Leaves is the first book that springs to mind.
MrTeatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Reference books often don't transfer well to the small screen, no matter how well-designed they are. There's just not room to show before-and-after pics, or exploded diagrams, or with-and-without code samples side by side. And anything that involves a lot of flipping back and forth between pages isn't going to be great on an ereader; even screen scrolling isn't as good as page flipping for checking between two specific paragraphs.

Formatted poetry also doesn't translate well to the small screen. Aside from the hassle of all that custom CSS code to get the indents and spacing right, if the original poem was designed with a certain page size in mind, the small screen can lose a lot of the impact. (I've tried reading e.e. cummings on a small screen. Some poems translate; some just don't.)

Some art books are just never going to make the transition--I have a copy of Codex Serephinianus, and I don't think it'll ever be a good ebook.

House of Leaves is the only novel I can name off the top of my head that really doesn't work as an ebook. (Except, y'know, non-reflowable PDF, which really doesn't count.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
My 11.5" x 16", M.C. Escher art book would look horrible on a 6" eInk screen.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Reference books often don't transfer well to the small screen, no matter how well-designed they are. There's just not room to show before-and-after pics, or exploded diagrams, or with-and-without code samples side by side. And anything that involves a lot of flipping back and forth between pages isn't going to be great on an ereader; even screen scrolling isn't as good as page flipping for checking between two specific paragraphs.

Formatted poetry also doesn't translate well to the small screen. Aside from the hassle of all that custom CSS code to get the indents and spacing right, if the original poem was designed with a certain page size in mind, the small screen can lose a lot of the impact. (I've tried reading e.e. cummings on a small screen. Some poems translate; some just don't.)

Some art books are just never going to make the transition--I have a copy of Codex Serephinianus, and I don't think it'll ever be a good ebook.

House of Leaves is the only novel I can name off the top of my head that really doesn't work as an ebook. (Except, y'know, non-reflowable PDF, which really doesn't count.)
I totally agree. However, I wasn't talking about the format only. On the title I mentioned, the layout is just pure art! Even as a regular paper book it is a beautiful work.

Some code is at left or right, with a beautiful picture or screen being shower at full color on the other one. Very, very nice! I do not know how to explain it.

By the way, I've found my Kindle for iPad and Kindle DXG (sold mine though) do a decent job with computer books.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
There was a time when Authors were very particular with the typeface used for their books. John Updike comes to mind as an Author who insisted on dictating the typeface and binding methods used for his books. As digital books evolve I am sure we will eventually see a Renascence of this master-craft.
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJ View Post
There was a time when Authors were very particular with the typeface used for their books. John Updike comes to mind as an Author who insisted on dictating the typeface and binding methods used for his books. As digital books evolve I am sure we will eventually see a Renascence of this master-craft.
I don't think so.

Part of the attraction of e-books is that you can change the font or font size.

Of course it would be nice if there were an "author recommended" setting. But if I can't change it, I might as well read something else.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
I don't think so.

Part of the attraction of e-books is that you can change the font or font size.

Of course it would be nice if there were an "author recommended" setting. But if I can't change it, I might as well read something else.
That's what I would imagine. I wouldn't want it to circumvent my ability to choose. I imagine the standard (as opposed to those readers that already allow custom) font choices to only expand over time.
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #9
jocampo
Layback feline

I ended buying the book at B&N!

It wasn't available as ebook but is the type of book that I prefer in paper format anyway: HTML and CSS

I know a bit of HTML but trying to grab some CSS tricks for a small project at work.

Fantastic title for anyone trying to learn those concepts or develop a nice webpage.

Last edited by jocampo; 02-13-2012 at 09:05 AM. Reason: English typo
Old 02-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #10
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
For me, anything that isn't a novel will not be good enough for me on an ereader.
A4 or greater sized books generally donot go well on an ereader.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote