Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Kobo Touch?
Yep, I'm happy with my purchase. 128 79.50%
No way! I want another eReader. 3 1.86%
I will be with the right firmware update(s). 30 18.63%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #46
JedV
Kobo Toucher
JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kobo Touch
I also love my KT. My jealous sister is getting one too.
JedV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:16 PM   #47
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
The results of the poll are very interesting. It seems that a majority of Mobile Read forum members are happy with the Kobo Touch but that most of the threads here are started by people who are dissatisfied.

For my part, my wife and I are both happy with the Kobo Touch. The storage error was annoying but not a deal breaker (and it has since been fixed), and there are niggling quirks and features that would be nice to have, but overall, I have no complaints because it excels at the one thing I bought it for: serving as a book reader.
I'm having difficulty deciding between the Nook STR and the Kobo Touch. I like the KT's native support for CBR/CBZ but not pleased by the variety of problems that have plagued it. (I already have an iPad, had a nootered nook color, but I just want an ereader that doesn't need tinkering otherwise I'd just buy a nook ST and nooter it and add a comic reader)

People posting "I'm pleased with the Kobo Touch in spite of <fill_in_the_blank> issue" does not instill confidence in purchasing one. All that says is that KT buyers have a higher tolerance for issues. I was leaning toward the KT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
And honestly, looking at the other readers on the market shows that none of them are without their quirks and quibbles
Since we're talking honestly, some readers on the market are of higher quality than others.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:26 PM   #48
thp1017
Connoisseur
thp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo, KT, KGlo, H2O, Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
People posting "I'm pleased with the Kobo Touch in spite of <fill_in_the_blank> issue" does not instill confidence in purchasing one. All that says is that KT buyers have a higher tolerance for issues.
I guess to me its always very hard to tell from the sample size you get on a forum like this - there are a modest number people happily championing their KT, but primarily these boards are people asking questions, or having problems. I first found the forum, for example, when I was actually trying to figure out how to hack line spacing on the original Kobo1 (sadly, the KT isn't any better on this, as I actually like 0.9em line spacing, more like an actual paper book! ). My brother, for example, grabbed a KT in the Borders closing madness, and hasn't had any problems, and has no idea this forum exists.

Personally, I'm thrilled with my KT - I think I've got ~125 hours on it so far? Not a single error! No books disappearing, not loading, no storage errors, etc. Admittedly I don't use Calibre or the Kobo Desktop to load books, I just copy them directly to the on-board storage (too many weird stories early on about crappy software, plus it always seemed easier to me to just copy the file).

Are there improvements I would like to see? Absolutely! But I've played with other eReaders (Nook, primarily), and there were things about it I didn't like either. Hopefully one of these days the Kobo Team will make all the improvements I'm hoping for, but I'm happy with what I have now

Last edited by thp1017; 09-15-2011 at 05:31 PM.
thp1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #49
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
All that says is that KT buyers have a higher tolerance for issues. I was leaning toward the KT.
It's not like the various issues were major deal-breakers, mostly just annoyances. I've been buying gadgets for more than 40 years and nothing is perfect (ever owned a Blackberry?) I've had KT for about a month and have had no problems other than the storage msg glitch in the 1.9.9 update, and even then I just ignored the error and everything still worked perfectly for me. The next update soon after fixed the error, so I'm happy enough with the attention given to issues and quick resolution. A thriving community her and elsewhere are valuable resources to draw on even if you have a problem.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:49 PM   #50
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Love the KT, but can't/won't use it until they fix the reflow problem of unDRMed epubs introduced in 1.9.10. It is pretty useless when it cuts off the last line of a page.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:29 PM   #51
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Love the KT, but can't/won't use it until they fix the reflow problem of unDRMed epubs introduced in 1.9.10. It is pretty useless when it cuts off the last line of a page.
This is fixed in 1.9.11 due out shortly. However, if you change *anything* in the font settings (i.e. move up a font size and then move back) this problem should go away for your reading session.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:49 PM   #52
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
I'm having difficulty deciding between the Nook STR and the Kobo Touch. I like the KT's native support for CBR/CBZ but not pleased by the variety of problems that have plagued it. (I already have an iPad, had a nootered nook color, but I just want an ereader that doesn't need tinkering otherwise I'd just buy a nook ST and nooter it and add a comic reader)
The vast majority (>90%) of our customers from our latest survey are reporting they are extremely satisfied with their purchase, and our device return rates have been record lows for this particular product, well below industry standards. We're very pleased with these results, it's a great vote of confidence from our customers whom we love.

We also have the following advantages over Nook STR:
Our device costs $10 less, it's smaller, sleeker and lighter.

Most customers love our Reading Life functionality, which allows you to track your reading, gain achievements and share these with your friends, making reading fun and game-like. It's not for everyone, but it's extremely popular.

We have IMO the best PDF viewing experience on a 6" e-ink device out of any of the leading brands.

We have amazing mobile applications, linked to your account, if you are so inclined.

We regularly update the device with features that our customers specifically ask for. B&N's last update took ~2 months and introduced 3 bug fixes only. We listen and we act. We have some pretty cool features on our roadmap too.

Quote:
People posting "I'm pleased with the Kobo Touch in spite of <fill_in_the_blank> issue" does not instill confidence in purchasing one. All that says is that KT buyers have a higher tolerance for issues. I was leaning toward the KT.
Many of our Touch customers are actually in the 55+ range, and I'd venture that age group tends to be less tolerant of faults if anything, however I don't have any data to back that up with

Hope that helps in your purchase decision!
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:43 AM   #53
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
This is fixed in 1.9.11 due out shortly. However, if you change *anything* in the font settings (i.e. move up a font size and then move back) this problem should go away for your reading session.
Glad to hear 1.9.11 is coming soon, Sameerh, but no, changing anything in the font settings absolutely does not fix the issue. it reoccurs within a couple of page turns.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #54
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm running 1.9.10, have some DRM-free epubs and have no idea what this reflow problem you mentioned is. I'm using the default font style and size, and haven't noticed any missing text.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #55
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
I'm not sure what this text reflow problem is, but one thing I'd like fixed is that in certain text sizes, paragraphs will not appear on the page unless the entire thing can fit on the page. So I'm turning page after page that just has one small paragraph at the top of the screen. Again, that's only for certain text sizes, but I use a larger text size at work because the lighting is poor and I can't read smaller text, and the battery dies very quickly because I'm having to continually turn the page.

The battery is another issue, actually. It was supposed to last a month or two, wasn't it? I go about a week in between charges, sometimes less, which is just slightly longer than it took in between charges of my Kobo Wifi (about every two or three days). Not a huge problem, though.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:10 PM   #56
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I love how the marketing works for battery life on e-readers..... rather than measure how many hours reading time, they tell you how long the device lasts based on some immaginary average hours read per day.... (though I suppose in Kobo case, that number soon won't be immaginary.).... Regardless, it's a meaningless 'measure.'
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #57
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
I love how the marketing works for battery life on e-readers..... rather than measure how many hours reading time, they tell you how long the device lasts based on some immaginary average hours read per day.... (though I suppose in Kobo case, that number soon won't be immaginary.).... Regardless, it's a meaningless 'measure.'
Yeah, that's true, they should really base it on page-turns or hours spent reading, because I read my Kobo for at least an hour or two per day, and I know people that turn their e-readers on maybe once a week. I'm sure my Kobo touch's battery could last two months if I never used it, but as it is right now I have to charge it once a week.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:25 PM   #58
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Since we're talking honestly, some readers on the market are of higher quality than others.
Yes, and for what it's worth, I'd put the Kobo Touch in the top part of that bracket.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #59
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
Yeah, that's true, they should really base it on page-turns or hours spent reading, because I read my Kobo for at least an hour or two per day, and I know people that turn their e-readers on maybe once a week. I'm sure my Kobo touch's battery could last two months if I never used it, but as it is right now I have to charge it once a week.
It's really hard to get a good gauge for battery life on these things; I usually spend about an hour or two a day myself reading, however I don't remember the last time (apart from today, get to that in a minute) where I've had to plug it in due to low charge mainly because I'm constantly plugging it in for other reasons, albeit for short periods of time, such as for updating firmware or adding/removing a couple books.

Just as an example, they are having some of us test a new firmware, and one of the things I've been trying to do this week is run down my battery; I had been trying since Monday night, by running through a book over and over again while running the wi-fi,and leaving the device on all the time (only shut it off to go to and from work). I had started with a 3/4 battery, and I only got it to die this morning. I was able to run through a 525 "page" epub about 4 and half times in this period; it was actually over 1000 page turns each time through so over 4500 page turns, while barely shutting the device off and running with the wifi radio on. That's pretty good, but still hard to gauge reality because I was artificially trying to kill it.

The amounts they claim (about 1 month), I believe, is when the device is in Standby, or possibly on, but not being used. once you start adding in page turns, it starts to drop, depending on how much you use it, with the drain increasing with radio usage, doing searches on it, etc... In the off state, it really should be able to last for months (the wife hadn't used her kobo much at the start, leaving it for a couple months at one point, and when she went back to it, it had about a half charge to it).

Last edited by Psyke; 09-16-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #60
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan

For battery life, nothing could be more irrelevant than number of hours read. To get a proper number, they must identify every operation that uses power (sleep mode, wifi, touch) and the power consumption of each. If you're a slow reader with your wifi close by and you have short sleep and power off settings, you may indeed get a month+ out of your battery. If you're a fast reader with your wifi farther away and long sleep and power off settings, you would be lucky to get 2 weeks. As the saying goes, "Your mileage may vary."