Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #1
v_ger
v_ger began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Neo
Howdy

I'm new to ebooks, my wife bought me a PRS-505 as an early Christmas/birthday/anniversary present and I'm loving it. Right now I've started with '50's and '60's science fiction but I discovered Cory Doctorow through this site and he's a blast. Can't wait to see what else I find.

Mark
v_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_ger View Post
I'm new to ebooks, my wife bought me a PRS-505 as an early Christmas/birthday/anniversary present and I'm loving it. Right now I've started with '50's and '60's science fiction but I discovered Cory Doctorow through this site and he's a blast. Can't wait to see what else I find.

Mark
Welcome, Mark, and enjoy.

When I saw your signature, I immediately thought of the Star Trek episode.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Welcome Mark. And I'm with grandma -- your nickname definitely brings up memories of the Star Trek movie. If it doesn't come from Star Trek, please enlighten us. (However, since you said you started in on SF, I'd be willing to bet that you did, indeed, select the name from Trekdom.)

Now, given that you're fond of SF, be sure to check out the Creative Commons titles uploaded into our library. There are a couple of SF authors who even participate here at MobileRead and their books are available either from their web sites -- some even offer one or two books for free. And, the motherlode of free SF and Fantasy is over at Baen.

Hope you come back and join in the discussions around here.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:52 PM   #4
v_ger

Ladies, you nailed it. I also ride a Kawasaki Voyager motorcycle. The combination was too good to resist. I use this name on several forum.

Mark
Old 12-20-2008, 06:54 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We nailed it, Elsi!

Be sure and try Richard Kadrey, also. He is here, as well as on
www.feedbooks.com
Advert
Old 12-20-2008, 08:54 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Mark and welcome to the Forum. Lots of friendly 505 owners here
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:30 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
When I saw your signature, I immediately thought of the Star Trek episode.
It was a Movie not an episode. Although many have said ST1 was like a 2.5 hour episode rather than a movie.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:03 AM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
It was a Movie not an episode. Although many have said ST1 was like a 2.5 hour episode rather than a movie.

BOb
Picky, picky!
Old 12-21-2008, 12:52 AM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Picky, picky!
About Star Trek... yes I am. Sorry.

BOb
Old 12-21-2008, 12:36 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
About Star Trek... yes I am. Sorry.

BOb
Well, I sincerely apologize.

This was the original "Star Trek the Motion Picture",
correct?

Hey, at my age, I'm lucky I remembered it to begin with!
Old 12-21-2008, 12:51 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
This was the original "Star Trek the Motion Picture",
correct?
Yes. Correct. Karma to you!

BOb
Old 12-21-2008, 02:40 PM   #12
v_ger

Yes,but....

The v_ger name was from the first movie, but there was an episode (The Changeling ?) with the same idea. In that one the entity's name was Nomad though.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:53 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_ger View Post
The v_ger name was from the first movie, but there was an episode (The Changeling ?) with the same idea. In that one the entity's name was Nomad though.
'sigh. I loved Star Trek. Back 'in the day', it was cutting edge. Now........not so much.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
'sigh. I loved Star Trek. Back 'in the day', it was cutting edge. Now........not so much.
Yes, but Trek was never so much about the tech and or special effects, it was about the stories.

BOb
Old 12-21-2008, 07:44 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Yes, but Trek was never so much about the tech and or special effects, it was about the stories.

BOb
Oh, absolutely, I agree.