Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #14146
Kindoll
Enthusiast
Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Ash by James Herbert and I'm really getting into it.
Kindoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #14147
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I'm assuming you've already read Master and Commander, the first book in the series? It's not an absolute, certainly, the books stand alone. But there is so much history and character development across the series that it's useful to start at the beginning. Or, if not, go back and read the earlier book(s) when you can.

This is one of my all time favourite series, full stop.
I am reading them in order, just not back to back.
And yes they are very enjoyable.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #14148
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I am reading them in order, just not back to back.
And yes they are very enjoyable.
Apache
No, back to back would be too much, plus it would kill off the anticipatory pleasure of knowing I have one of them in my TBR.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:07 AM   #14149
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I had forgotten just how good Lawrence Block's "Matt Scudder" books were! I'm re-reading "A Dance at the Slaughterhouse," having first read it many years ago when it came out. So long ago that it's as if I've never read it before. I have no idea how he's going to resolve the two different threads he's weaving in this book. Really... a great read!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #14150
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, they ARE good, aren't they? I've got several sitting in my TBR. Need to push a couple to the top of it...
Old 09-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #14151
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Another interesting set of stories. I probably should have read this closer to the time I bought them! I'll start adding one in every so often.

Next: The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, September/October 2012. I didn't notice that this had come out. Good so far.
Overall, just an OK issue. Nothing that really stood out for me.

Next: Grantville Gazette 43 edited by Paula Goodlett

More soap opera in the 1632 universe.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #14152
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I finished A Thousand Miles Up the Nile by Amelia Edwards. It's a 19th century travelogue about taking a boat, well, a thousand miles up the Nile in Egypt. It has a lot of very interesting parts - her small party discovered a room and ruins buried under sand for thousands of years, in one town they were led through back rooms trying to buy illegal antiques and ended up trying to be forced to buy an actual mummy in front of them, boat racing up the Nile, at one point an angry mob (almost justifiably) attacking a member of her party, and seeing Egyptian life from the poorest "fellah" to the well-off "sheyk" with "hareems" full of women. I also really liked the writer's zest for adventure, and there's plenty of illustrations of various places made by the writer herself throughout the book.

However, I felt the book had many dry spots, as the writer was extremely interested in all the ruins and described many in almost too much detail. Even sometimes she'd say she'd "only give a brief description" of a particular ruin and then that would last 2 pages, so imagine the less brief ones! It becomes a bit monotonous when the descriptions occur because so many are so similar. I usually abhor abridged editions of fiction books, but for this old non-fiction book, I think it would do to have an abridged version with much of the ruin descriptions cut down.

Aside from over-description, it is interesting reading about ruins which quite a few of are now gone or inaccessible (especially near the end of her journey in "Nubia"; there is now a dam on the Nile that flooded many of the towns and ruins she visited and made a lake), and all the rest of the book is fascinating. Overall, I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars as a very interesting book of real-life adventure and a culture already so changed, but that one needs to put up with recurrent dry spells of overlong ruin descriptions to savour the sweet parts of the rest.

Next up for me is Black Swan Green by David Mitchell, the pick for the Lit Club here this month. Published five or so years ago, all I mainly know is that it's a story about a boy in England in the 80s. Hope it's good!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #14153
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
No, back to back would be too much, plus it would kill off the anticipatory pleasure of knowing I have one of them in my TBR.
I enjoyed HMS Surprise so much I decided to continue on with The Mauritius Command.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #14154
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "Spinsters in Jeopardy", by Ngaio Marsh, the 17th book in the "Inspector Alleyn" series. In this outing, published in 1953, Alleyn is sent under cover to France, with his family (he's gained a 6-year-old son somehow since the last book!) to investigate the connection between an ancient French fortress, occupied by what today we'd call a "new age cult", and an international heroin distribution operation. Many adventures follow, including the kidnapping of Alleyn's young son, Ricky, and his (Alleyn's) attempt to infiltrate the cult to find out what's going on.

I thoroughly enjoyed this - it's one of the best of the series so far, I think. A good mix of adventure, solid detective work, and with the occasional bit of humour thrown in, too. Highly recommended.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #14155
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I enjoyed HMS Surprise so much I decided to continue on with The Mauritius Command.
Apache
Warning: they just keep getting better. The thing about this series is that I honestly didn't think there was a dud in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just finished "Spinsters in Jeopardy", by Ngaio Marsh, the 17th book in the "Inspector Alleyn" series. In this outing, published in 1953, Alleyn is sent under cover to France, with his family (he's gained a 6-year-old son somehow since the last book!) to investigate the connection between an ancient French fortress, occupied by what today we'd call a "new age cult", and an international heroin distribution operation. Many adventures follow, including the kidnapping of Alleyn's young son, Ricky, and his (Alleyn's) attempt to infiltrate the cult to find out what's going on.

I thoroughly enjoyed this - it's one of the best of the series so far, I think. A good mix of adventure, solid detective work, and with the occasional bit of humour thrown in, too. Highly recommended.
Agreed, an excellent one. And I'm glad it wasn't just that I'd somehow missed the birth of their son. I read these in no particular order, so I had just assumed I'd managed to miss the one(s) where Troy was pregnant and/or gave birth.

Meanwhile, I'm struggling through An Infamous Army. One of my least favourite Heyer's. And at the same time, I'm listening to Crystal Dragon by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. A good book, but with some real dead spots at the beginning.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #14156
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Mary Russell series by Laurie R. King and James Potter Series by G. Norman Lippert

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I've completed reading Stephen King's 11/22/63: A Novel and really really enjoyed it. Also I know a lot more about Lee Harvey Oswald and the J.F.K. assassination than I ever wanted to. But that's okay because King makes it all so very interesting and I became quite absorbed in the tale. Anyway, tomorrow I'm going to start a re-read of the three books in the James Potter series by G. Norman Lippert.
I finished my re-read of the first book in the James Potter series by G. Norman Lippert, James Potter and the The Hall of Elders Crossing. As with the first time I read it this was a very fun read this second time around as well.

I've decided to spread out the James Potter fun by interspersing the three Potter books with other types of stories so Im going to next read the just released 12th Mary Russell novel, Garment of Shadows by Laurie R. King.

Last edited by alansplace; 09-09-2012 at 11:49 AM. Reason: add a thought
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #14157
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Over the last month or so, I have been reading freebies by Stephanie Bond. Light, easy, fun little books.

Kill the Competition (a humorous romantic mystery)
Our Husband (a humorous romantic mystery)
Three Wishes (a romantic comedy)
I Think I Love You (a humorous romantic mystery)
In Deep Voodoo (Mojo, Louisiana humorous mystery series #1)
Got Your Number (a humorous romantic mystery)
Whole Lotta Trouble (a humorous romantic mystery)

And I found one more freebie to read by her.
Baby, I'm Yours (Southern Roads)

I had forgotton, how light and fun these are to read in between other more intense books. I am still reading A Thousand Miles Up the Nile and trying to figure out how to make the whispersync work between a Kindle book and an Audible book.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #14158
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Next: Grantville Gazette 43 edited by Paula Goodlett

More soap opera in the 1632 universe.
An OK edition. I found the Jane Austen story rather too contrived and confusing.

Next up: Another Agatha Christie: Death Comes as the End.

I picked this up back in March 2010, to fill in a hole in the large collection of Agatha Christie's I bought in February 2010.

This one is an oddity - set in ancient Egypt, ca. 2000BCE.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #14159
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Next up: Another Agatha Christie: Death Comes as the End.

I picked this up back in March 2010, to fill in a hole in the large collection of Agatha Christie's I bought in February 2010.

This one is an oddity - set in ancient Egypt, ca. 2000BCE.
Perhaps explained by the fact that Christie was married to one of the foremost acheologists of his day, Sir Max Mallowan. Although this is the only one of her stories set in the past, a number involve archeological settings, such as "Murder in Mesopotamia" and "Death on the Nile".

I enjoyed this book, personally.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #14160
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I am currently reading Blood Rites by Jim Butcher.

Quote:
For Harry Dresden, there have been worse assignments than going undercover on the set of an adult film. Still, there’s something more troubling than usual about his newest case. The film’s producer believes he’s the target of a sinister curse-but it’s the women around him who are dying.

Harry’s even more frustrated because he only got involved with this bizarre mystery as a favor to Thomas-his flirtatious, self-absorbed vampire acquaintance of dubious integrity. Thomas has a personal stake in the case Harry can’t quite figure out. But Harry is about to discover that Thomas’ family tree has been hiding a shocking revelation that will change his life forever…
So far, it's not as action packed as Death Masks was. But we are getting some good character development so far.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote