Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 01-25-2014, 11:58 AM   #1
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Question Find / Replace does not respect "down" setting

When I want to replace via Find/Replace some text from the current page cursor position "down" ("wrap" is not selected) towards the end of the e-book, the replace also sometimes takes place "above" the current cursor position and even in previous chapter files which precedes this page file. This is not what I expected (and wanted). The funny thing is that it does not always happens, making reproducing it hard.

The chapter files are properly sorted ascending in the spine, so that could not be the issue here.

Does anybody has seen this behavior also?
(I am using 1.21, but seen it in previous versions sometimes too)

Last edited by DrChiper; 01-25-2014 at 12:05 PM.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:38 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
When I want to replace via Find/Replace some text from the current page cursor position "down" ("wrap" is not selected) towards the end of the e-book, the replace also sometimes takes place "above" the current cursor position and even in previous chapter files which precedes this page file. This is not what I expected (and wanted). The funny thing is that it does not always happens, making reproducing it hard.

The chapter files are properly sorted ascending in the spine, so that could not be the issue here.

Does anybody has seen this behavior also?
(I am using 1.21, but seen it in previous versions sometimes too)
Are you using: Selected files or some other ?
E-book editor does these choices slightly different from Sigil (I always got annoyed having to switch to Current when running replaces in the CSS)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2014, 01:08 PM   #3
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nope, just working my way down from cover page file to the bottom of the last page file with setting "all text files". It just happened to me today again on removing superfluous </span>'s. With big changes I always check. On this occasion I expected to see just 1 intentional </span> left in a previous chapter, but that was gone
So I decided to mention it here for the benefit of others.

I know that Edit-Book behaves differently than Sigil, but expected somehow similar behavior for F/R "downwards".

For the good order: I am now capable to do my touching-ups completely in Edit Book; no need to use Sigil anymore. That is a great plus (as always: thanks Kovid!)

Last edited by DrChiper; 01-25-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
In sigil, "all files" overrules up / down choice. All means ALL
I woud expect same logic in calibre editor
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
DrChiper
Bookish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
In sigil, "all files" overrules up / down choice. All means ALL
I woud expect same logic in calibre editor
Just tested: but unfortunately you are mistaken. It starts from current current position to last file provided no wrap is selected when set with "all files". Hence, no overruling.
Advert
Old 01-25-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The behavior replace All changed, back and forth in later versions of Sigil.

Originally it honored the No wrap (and direction) and started from the current location.

I think it has returned to that behavior.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:57 PM   #7
DrChiper
Bookish

Well, never mind Sigil, the important question is: How is the behavior of Edit Book intended to be? At the moment I am replacing text which is not supposed to be replaced. What are the correct settings to avoid that?
Old 01-25-2014, 04:22 PM   #8
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The behavior replace All changed, back and forth in later versions of Sigil.

Originally it honored the No wrap (and direction) and started from the current location.

I think it has returned to that behavior.
I have sigil v7.2 I think it mostly it behaves for me as I described, when I use replace ALL. ( but I usually click it twice, just to be sure, sometimes the 2nd click finds more stuff to replace! )

I would vote for same logic in calibre , if it were a voting issue. It would be very strange for replace ALL not to operate on ALL files irrespective of up/down setting
but stepwise - replace+find-next - it could be argued either way, certainly the directional preference should apply but whether there should also be wraparound... shouldn't matter really if you are begin observant...

And it would be nice if both programs used the same rules, esp. wile I am still transitioning from one to the other
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:43 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
I have sigil v7.2 I think it mostly it behaves for me as I described, when I use replace ALL. ( but I usually click it twice, just to be sure, sometimes the 2nd click finds more stuff to replace! )

I would vote for same logic in calibre , if it were a voting issue. It would be very strange for replace ALL not to operate on ALL files irrespective of up/down setting
but stepwise - replace+find-next - it could be argued either way, certainly the directional preference should apply but whether there should also be wraparound... shouldn't matter really if you are begin observant...

And it would be nice if both programs used the same rules, esp. wile I am still transitioning from one to the other
I was one to vote to vote Replace All should respect the settings and the Start point.

Replace all in my context means don't ask (behaves like replace next was clicked every time). Replace from here to end.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:02 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Replace all replaces all in the set of files you have chosen, it does not consider direction or wrap at all. If you want to run replace all only a region of a particular file, select that region, mark it with Search->Mark selected text then run the replace all in "Marked text"
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:34 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Replace all replaces all in the set of files you have chosen
As it should be.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:20 AM   #12
DrChiper
Bookish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
As it should be.
I beg to differ, but that is a common mistake in software land. There is no good or wrong: it is just a design decision. So in my opinion it should read: as Kovid designed it to work. Whether you like that decision or not is another matter and a personal one too. Speaking for myself: as long as I know how it is supposed to work (and it actually does so ) there is never a problem.

So now that I have a clear vision on how it is supposed to work, maybe I can make a small suggestion:
Kovid is it not better to make it clear to the user that when the "all text files" (and all style files) option is selected, the options "wrap" and "down/up" have no meaning anymore by making them not selectable (=greyout) or even not visible? Then it is obvious that ALL really means ALL with no exceptions.

Just my 2cts to make a good application perhaps a little better.

Last edited by DrChiper; 01-26-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:27 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They most definitely have a meaning, they are used when your click either find or replace/find. It is only replace all that ignores them.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:35 AM   #14
DrChiper
Bookish

So: "Find" or "Find/Replace" with option "all text files" will only find ALL occurrences when option "wrap" is set? In other words there is a difference in working between "Find" and "Replace"? I surely never expected that Hence, ALL is not always ALL it depends on what your are doing.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:03 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Find and replace/find do not find all matches, they find the *next* match and what is the next match very much depends on the search direction and wrapping, that is patently obvious.

Replace all replaces *all* matches, and the set of all matches does not depend on either direction or wrapping. That is also patently obvious.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 01-26-2014 at 08:06 AM.