Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-01-2013, 06:15 AM   #226
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
It's not the same as the number of wakelocks, each time something wakes your phone up it can take a long time to go back into deep sleep if ever, the frequency of wakelocks even if they are tiny amounts of time might be keeping your device permanently out of deep sleep.

As far as I'm concerned the inbuilt battery screen is basically useless.
Thanks for that. I can see that if an app was flicking into and out of an active wakelock state then a more detailed readout of those would be useful. Though presumably this sort of activity would only be a drain on the battery if the phone was set to a long timeout before sleep? (As once in deep sleep you can't use a wakelock to wake it up. You need to use AlarmManager, as far as I can tell.)

However, the likeliest reason for battery drain would be an app that didn't release a wakelock when it was no longer needed. In this more likely case the Keep Awake duration in the inbuilt stats would be useful as it would clearly show the app that was keeping things alive (Nook in my example above).

The inbuilt battery stats are also displaying the amount of time using the battery draining functions of GPS, Wifi and CPU for each app or service that uses them. I personally wouldn't dismiss these as 'basically useless'.

My devices are both on 4.4 now, so I can't make a comparison, unfortunately.

I did find the following site very useful to give me an overview of wakelocks, for those wanting more information (it links through to the underlying documentation):

http://software.intel.com/en-us/arti...d-applications

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 12-01-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #227
RichieTheK
Enthusiast
RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 (2012), Samsung Galaxy Pro 8.4
ColorDict failing under 4.4 (KitKat)

On both of my Nexus devices (4 and 7 (2012)), ColorDict fails under 4.4. It loads, but will stop when I enter a word and try to search for the definition.

Has anyone else seen this problem?
RichieTheK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #228
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieTheK View Post
On both of my Nexus devices (4 and 7 (2012)), ColorDict fails under 4.4. It loads, but will stop when I enter a word and try to search for the definition.

Has anyone else seen this problem?
I had a little different problem with ColorDict, in that German-English translations were failing. I reloaded and re-indexed the dictionaries and everything seems to be working fine with ColorDict and Nexus 7 KitKat.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:54 AM   #229
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I read that Google removed the Cyanogenmod installer from the Play store for violating TOS.
That hasn't stopped Cyanogenmod from posting an independent link on their official site.

The installer had been taken off Google Play before I posted, which is why I made sure it was still available before hitting Submit Reply.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 12-02-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #230
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Thanks Graham.

Given that I virtually never use the speakers, I've gone ahead and updated. BBC iPlayer seems to work fine, but I don't seem to be able to play embedded video on the BBC website via my preferred browser (Firefox). Having said that, Chrome seems to work fine, so I can live with that - what browser were you using?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Embedded videos on the BBC website and BBC iPlayer are both still working fine on my Nexus 4 which updated to KitKat yesterday.
Graham
OK. So Flash videos embedded on the BBC website seem to have just stopped working for no reason that I can see. Using Chrome. Anybody else have this issue now?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #231
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OK. So Flash videos embedded on the BBC website seem to have just stopped working for no reason that I can see. Using Chrome. Anybody else have this issue now?
I've just checked on both my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 and the embedded videos on the BBC website are still working for me using Chrome.

Graham
Old 12-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #232
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've just checked on both my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 and the embedded videos on the BBC website are still working for me using Chrome.

Graham
What version of Chrome are you using? I'm on 31.0.1650.59
Old 12-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #233
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
What version of Chrome are you using? I'm on 31.0.1650.59
The same.

Is there a specific video story we could test on both?

Edit:

Ah: some of them work, but "Why Football Gets Tough on Flares" doesn't.

Right: if you've got your browser set to Request Desktop Site, then the videos are delivered as Flash, and don't work. If it's not set to Request Desktop Site, the videos are delivered in another format (which can be downloaded as mp4) where this exists. The ones where this other format don't exist don't work.

The "Families Lay Flowers" clip works in mobile view but not in desktop view.

So I think you're right that Flash embedding isn't working. Videos and iPlayer do work, but only where the BBC have offered up an alternative format.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 12-03-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #234
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Hmm...weird.

Thanks.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #235
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Hmm...weird.

Thanks.
See my edits above,

Graham
Old 12-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #236
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
See my edits above,

Graham
That seems to be the case. I unticked the "Request Desktop Site" box and it seemed to work - at least for the one I was looking at at the time and I see exactly the same as you - the flare story doesn't work, the "Family Lay Flowers" one does. Well worked out!

I came across the link below on the xda-developers forum that seems to describe a method of getting Flash to work under KitKat (for Dolphin browser). Given the information you have provided, I think I can live with the way it currently works for the time being, but if anybody does want a more permanent solution and tries the below, let me know how it went.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2548001

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 12-03-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #237
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I haven't had flash working since the 4.3.3 update, the bbc iplayer app works ok for me although I haven't tried to watch it on the actual site for a few years but I can remember it didn't work for me even then just said something about being on an Android device and using the app instead I can remember it annoyed me because it works on my ancient ipod still.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #238
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
That seems to be the case. I unticked the "Request Desktop Site" box and it seemed to work - at least for the one I was looking at at the time and I see exactly the same as you - the flare story doesn't work, the "Family Lay Flowers" one does. Well worked out!

I came across the link below on the xda-developers forum that seems to describe a method of getting Flash to work under KitKat (for Dolphin browser). Given the information you have provided, I think I can live with the way it currently works for the time being, but if anybody does want a more permanent solution and tries the below, let me know how it went.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2548001
I did this a few days ago and posted the link - I guess you missed it. It works fine.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #239
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I did this a few days ago and posted the link - I guess you missed it. It works fine.
Sorry

Still, as you've ascertained it works, better to post it twice than never

Thanks.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #240
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Sorry

Still, as you've ascertained it works, better to post it twice than never

Thanks.
np. I just wish it worked on other browsers too. I have been using Boat browser for tablets - it's way better than it was at first.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote