Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Request for information - Timothy Zahn

I have book two of the Cobra Alliance series and before I go get book one of this series I would like to ask some questions. First I see that there are two series with the name cobra in the titles: Cobra and Cobra War. Which of these series comes first? I would imagine that Cobra would come before Cobra War. Are any of the Cobra and/or cobra war books available on the baen free library or the fifth imperium? I have checked and I don't think so. Would someone please set the stage for Cobra and Cobra War books.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I haven't read them, but here's some info...

Quote:
The books center around Cobras, elite soldiers augmented with bionic technology. These modifications include built-in weapons, sensory enhancements,effectively unbreakable bones, and their characteristic combat reflexes. These modifications to the human body are invisible to casual inspection, and allow the soldiers to appear as ordinary unarmed civilians, allowing them to be effective resistance leaders. However, most of the cybernetics are permanent, allowing Zahn to examine the position these individuals might fill in a society during peace-time. Their weaponry includes small lasers implanted in the little finger of each hand, an antiarmor laser that runs down the calf muscle of one leg and exits through a lens in the heel of their boot, plus an "arcthrower", a secondary weapon built into the fingertip lasers which delivers a high-voltage pulse that disrupts nearby electronics. In addition, they are armed with a sonic weapon, which can produce sound at frequencies capable of shattering most objects. All of their weaponry is controlled by a "nanocomputer" that is implanted inside their skull. This computer also helps run the visual and auditory enhancers, targeting computer, automated reflexes, etc. Modifications include ceramic laminae over all of their bones (essentially rendering them unbreakable), as well as servomotors at the major joints which augument strength and speed. The design of the nanocomputer renders it impossible to reprogram, and its location makes it next-to-impossible to remove without killing the Cobra.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COBRA_(...fiction_novels)

Cobra Series
1. Cobra (1985)
2. Cobra Strike (1986)
3. Cobra Bargain (1988)

Cobra War Series
1. Cobra Alliance (2009)
2. Cobra Guardian (2011)
3. Cobra Gamble (2012)

Cobra Rebellion Series
(tentative, not released yet)

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/z/timothy-zahn/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Zahn

As far as freebies go there is nothing on the CD's and the only thing in the free library is a short story which I believe takes place in the Cobra universe...
http://baen.com/pawntokingfour.asp
http://www.baenebooks.com/p-1387-fre...ries-2011.aspx

Last edited by AnemicOak; 07-02-2012 at 09:31 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks that shows some of the information that I have been looking for as well as directing me to the right wikipedia page, no wonder wikipedia wasn't coming up with anything. However, I would like to verify what wikipedia is saying with someone that is more familiar with the two series, I have found that frequently wikipedia gives the reading order in publication order rather than the true reading order.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Cobra came well before Cobra War.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard

Ah then I need to read Cobra before Cobra Alliance. I have not seen Cobra or cobra alliance at either the baen free library or the fifth imperium. Would someone in the know verify that I have this information correct or not.

I am not ready to read either cobra or cobra alliance and will not most likely for a few more months as yet. I am still going through the Starfire series, which is turning out to be an excellent series. I could stand a lot less sceen breaks.
Advert
Old 07-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I have found that frequently wikipedia gives the reading order in publication order rather than the true reading order.
Frequently the publication order IS the true reading order... especially for the people who read them as they were being released.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I have not seen Cobra or cobra alliance at either the baen free library or the fifth imperium. Would someone in the know verify that I have this information correct or not.
As I said in my post above there is nothing on the CD's and the only thing in the Free Library is a short story which appears to be related.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Nope, not on the free library, but they sell the first trilogy for a whopping $4

http://www.baenebooks.com/p-74-the-cobra-trilogy.aspx
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #9
jbcohen
Wizard

Oh, I understand Jeremy, its just that a lot of the times I like a second set of eyes to ensure that I did not miss anything.