Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-09-2010, 02:07 PM   #106
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Any hints at CES as to which "major consumer electronics manufacturer" is making the Skiff that Rupert Murdoch was talking about?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:26 PM   #107
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
It appears that the next 3 to 9 months will birth a multitude of new tablets/ebook readers so wouldn't it best for a dedicated reader to just sit and wait a bit? I know that's a tough order and one device won't be right for everyone but I think a 9 month wait is the best choice for me at present.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:30 PM   #108
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, but asking to not take photo of a device is generally not a good sign...
please, explain why and what possible negative connotations protecting their design might have?

And, of course you make that comment while being aware they might not have permission to show the device because of on going negotiations with component mfg's, right? The design might still be awaiting final patent approval or any number of reasons they are not able to let the media show the device...heck, it could be as simply as the they have not settled on the final case design. There might even be an issue of infringement in the case design, we don't know and, basically, it does not matter since the thing will not be out for months yet.

No matter, as with the Que, I am not as thrilled with it as I was from my initial impression from the announcement and mock-up images. Anything so tied into a publisher like Hearst is pretty scary, even more so for people scared off of Amazon & the Kindle...Hearst was founded by a guy who could give a flip about honesty and the idea of privacy. I doubt their corporate culture is any different today that is was 70yrs+ ago.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:45 AM   #109
elewton
elewton began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Eee... Hearst corporation AND Rupert Murdoch.

Read the EULA to make sure you get to keep your soul.
elewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:19 AM   #110
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
please, explain why and what possible negative connotations protecting their design might have?
The protection will exist only if there is nowhere pictures of the device. But you are wrong all the line: they already posted photos/picture of their futur device on their own website. So the design is not a secret.

Quote:
And, of course you make that comment while being aware they might not have permission to show the device because of on going negotiations with component mfg's, right?
A device is generaly not transparent, you don't see any component inside. And I never heard of component manufacturer who doesn't let you take photo of your device just because you use their components inside..

Quote:
The design might still be awaiting final patent approval or any number of reasons they are not able to let the media show the device...heck, it could be as simply as the they have not settled on the final case design.
Nope, like I already said, there are picture of the device on the Skiff website, so this is not a secret design.

Quote:
There might even be an issue of infringement in the case design, we don't know and, basically, it does not matter since the thing will not be out for months yet.
Of course, that why there are photo of it on the Skiff website.
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #111
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
I believe the press was asked to not take photos or videos not because any secrecy over the skiff reader, which is viewable from the press photos, but because they also showed off a color prototype, which they do want to keep secret for now. I haven't read from anyone who wrote about the demo mention anything about the look of the skiff reader so I can only assume it looks the same as the press photos.

As for why not reveal the color prototype, it may not represent the final technologies in the end product, they don't want to take the focus from the monochrome reader, or the setup may just be as ugly as hell. I did see a photo of the reader that comes with the dev kit and that is very ugly, so I can only imagine the gasps the demo audience expelled at the sight of the color monstrosity.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:34 AM   #112
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
If the Skiff doesn't use a glass plate (which the Que does, I just read on another thread), it will have something in its advantage. But only if you can read the standard book formats (epub in the least).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:10 PM   #113
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Skiff: resistive touch screen?

In this article, it mentions:

Quote:
http://www.computerworld.com.au/arti...iff_e-readers/
The Que, which will start selling in April in two versions that cost US$649 or $799, uses capacitive touch, while the Skiff, with no announced release date or price, uses resistive touch.
If the skiff's resistive touch is like the sony's, then I may have to take the skiff off my list. I was just at a Sony store to check out the PRS-900. Previously, I was very disappointed in the PRS-600 where the text looked fuzzy and the screen was dark compared to the PRS-300. The PRS-900 is exactly the same quality as the PRS-600.

Anyone have more information about the skiff's touch screen and how it compares to the sony prs-600/900? The tech spec on the skiff site mentions that it works with both finger and stylus, so it's likely it's NOT capacitive.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:30 AM   #114
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewton View Post
Eee... Hearst corporation AND Rupert Murdoch.

Read the EULA to make sure you get to keep your soul.
hahahaha...right on!!
Old 01-17-2010, 12:37 AM   #115
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
The protection will exist only if there is nowhere pictures of the device. But you are wrong all the line: they already posted photos/picture of their futur device on their own website. So the design is not a secret.

A device is generaly not transparent, you don't see any component inside. And I never heard of component manufacturer who doesn't let you take photo of your device just because you use their components inside..

Nope, like I already said, there are picture of the device on the Skiff website, so this is not a secret design.

Of course, that why there are photo of it on the Skiff website.
As usual you make assumptions which have no toe hold in reality. What is on the Skiff site maybe be a JPG file but the contain no EXIF data and simply because the file type is EXIF in no way implies it's a real unadulterated photo or even anything more than a rendering saved as a JPG...nor is there any guarantee it will be what the final production unit looks like.

maybe you are related to BobbyB? one can only wonder...