Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2014, 09:58 PM   #16
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
...one handed, I use my thumb to swipe about 5cm up from the bottom of the screen. Swipe in from the edge pages forward, swipe from the interior towards the edge pages back..
This is also how I do it on the Aura HD. I switch hands fairly frequently to avoid hand numbness, so it works for me with either hand. It does take some finesse, and my skill improved over a period of weeks.

I just got the H20, and I noticed right away it will be easier to hold, with the textured back, so I expect less fumbling.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:36 PM   #17
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
My guess is that if you like to page backwards and forwards a lot no option other than swiping is going to work well for you. I go forwards 99% of the time so the fact that I have to reach to get to a go back area doesn't bother me.
I usually use my other hand to reach over to the tight edge of the screen as is to page back, as I normally use mode 3 (left 2/3 is page forwards). But swipe still works from any side of the screen to go back, so I'm giving mode 4 a try.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:25 AM   #18
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
you guys should be grateful you are not stuck with the kobo for android app - that has no options at all. its left = back, right = forward, take it or leave it. Kindle on tablets is equally bad.

with my aura HD I read one handed in bed, lying on my back propped up on a pillow/back support . So I hold it near the top with my left hand, & bottom of device rests on me. so I configure it for left tap= next page.

Last edited by cybmole; 10-21-2014 at 08:28 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:08 AM   #19
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I find the easiest swipe for page turns in a vertical up or down to turn page forward or back. This is much easier than horizontal swipes for me. I don't see this happening on Kobo now that vertical swipe changes light intensity.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:27 AM   #20
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
it would not be hard to offer a full customization gestures menu- some android epub reader apps already do- so if you want to swipe sideways for brightness, up down for page turn, some other spot/some other direction for font size then you can.

maybe their focus groups tell them that 99% of customers are not interested - maybe they don't do focus groups because they already know what's good for us... who knows?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #21
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Problem with focus groups is you only know about what you have experienced. I knew trying to find book I wanted to read in large library was hard to find except with search because trying to use slider to get close to correct library page when only page numbers were shown as I used the slider. Page turn tap areas I never settled on options because I often change hand holding reader so I use swipes or taps as needed. Maybe new tap areas option will be better. As always have to adapt to how different companies interface or controls works. This is true for cars, motorcycles, tractors, bicycles, phones, cameras, guns, saws, welders, computers ...... well everything I use. Call this progress, lock into product, patents, it is just reality of life.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote