Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-28-2014, 09:52 AM   #1
Jwt0001
Jwt0001 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Deleting Phantom Books in iTunes

I hope this is the correct forum. I have had no luck getting an answer in the Apple Support Forums.

I have 580 books appearing in my iTunes library when I go to sync my iPad. However, these books don't really exist! I deleted them, but can't delete them from my sync screen. I have attached a screenshot that shows this.

At one point, I had a weblink that discussed this issue, but can't find it now. Can anyone point me in the correct direction?

My only other thought is to create a new iTunes library and move things over, but that seems way to time consuming for something that should be easy.

Thanks!
Joel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 7.49.43 AM.png
Views:	78
Size:	492.7 KB
ID:	127401  
Jwt0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Are the books in iTunes or iBooks? Also, Is this on a mac or pc?
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:30 PM   #3
Jwt0001

They don't exist anymore. I deleted them, but the listings won't disappear in iTunes when I sync my iPad. They don't appear in iBooks or in my iTunes library anywhere else.

I hope this makes sense.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is the a mac or a pc? The reason that I'm asking is that ebooks were recently moved out of iTunes on the mac and into iBooks on the mac. It still shows up when you sync, but the actual books are in iBooks for the mac. Does you iTunes still have a page of ebooks even when the iPad is not connected? If you are using a pc, then I'm not sure what is going on.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #5
Jwt0001

It's a Mac, sorry.

I know about the split. There are currently no books in my iBooks library on my computer. In theory, there should be no books in my iTunes library for syncing either. The books don't actually exist. If I attempt to sync one, nothing is sent to the iPad, since they don't really exist. I also don't get an error message.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:23 PM   #6
pwalker8
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwt0001 View Post
It's a Mac, sorry.

I know about the split. There are currently no books in my iBooks library on my computer. In theory, there should be no books in my iTunes library for syncing either. The books don't actually exist. If I attempt to sync one, nothing is sent to the iPad, since they don't really exist. I also don't get an error message.
Try resettting your warnings and clear your cache in iTunes and reset your warnings in ibooks. If that doesn't work, try organizing your content in iTunes. Did you move the location of your iTunes library recently?
Old 08-28-2014, 10:57 PM   #7
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
You might have to delete the iBooks app itself on the iPad.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:09 PM   #8
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini
You can delete from your iPad, not itunes. Go into iBooks, choose edit, select all, Delete. Worked for me.

The problem is that every book you ever downloaded will always be available to you in the book store. Until the last ibooks update you were stuck with those being listed. Now, you arent. You're not deleting them from your account, just deleting reference to them on your iPad (and thus, itunes)

Last edited by kyteflyer; 08-29-2014 at 07:11 PM.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #9
Jwt0001

I don't even have iBooks currently installed on my iPad.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:54 AM   #10
pwalker8
Wizard

Not sure what to tell you then. Sorry that I couldn't help.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:24 PM   #11
Jwt0001

No worries. I finally just created a new iTunes library and moved all the other libraries over. I then restored my iPad and the phantom books are now gone.

Clearly some sort of bug, but at least a found a solution.

Thanks all for your suggestions!
Old 09-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #12
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If what was happening was what I think it was.... Then what you could have done was go into iTunes on your computer. Go to purchased. Click on the Books tab. Tap on the little x on the corner of the icon to make it disappear.

The stuff wouldn't be deleted, it would be hidden. Apple doesn't want you to delete anything.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote