Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #31
vulcan_girl
Groupie
vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350
It just depends on how much I want to read the book. There are authors/books I buy in hardcover, authors/books I buy in paper, authors/books I only buy in e, and authors who only publish in e. I'm more likely to purchase a more expensive book by someone who is e-only than an ebook by an author who publishes traditionally and in e. If I'm on the fence, that's what the library is for.

Books and reading are my favorite hobbies, so I try not to get into the habit of denying myself something on the basis of price only.
vulcan_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #32
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ned0me View Post
Quote:
And if our book consumption remains as low as it has been, at least let us admit that it is because reading is a less exciting pastime than going to the dogs, the pictures or the pub, and not because books, whether bought or borrowed, are too expensive.
It still has a lot of merit, IMO.
I don't think books are less exciting that the listed activities.
Not even the movies.
(The others are way more boring and have noxious after-effects, to boot. )

At most, the better movies are about as interesting as the better books but in general, the best books are more interesting and exciting than the best movies. And the very best books go places movies just can't go.

(ideas >> audiovisual)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #33
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I won't pay more than the equivalent new paperback, but actually I tend to only buy much cheaper than that.

Having a big TBR does mean that I can wait for the special offers.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #34
lukeismyfather
lukeismyfather began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I don't buy that many books so it is ok. Sometimes it is hard to track the prices.
lukeismyfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #35
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
There's only 1 author that I'm willing to pay as high as $6 for, the rest are between .99c and $4. I love reading but hey, bills need to get paid.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:05 AM   #36
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Thus it has gotten to the point that I refuse to pay it no matter who wrote the book or how good or bad it is. Has anyone else become price sensitive?
Would it make any difference you were buying ebooks that would help your professional career?

Amber
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:26 AM   #37
QofResh
Enthusiast
QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Touch; Android Tablet (Asus TF300); PC App
Hmmm.... Fiction is not so bad really, but a lot of the other books I want, i.e. theology, Bible Commentaries, etc... can be a bit pricey. Speaking of that I wish someone in the know would start one of those Free/Bargain threads for theology books...
QofResh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #38
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by QofResh View Post
Hmmm.... Fiction is not so bad really, but a lot of the other books I want, i.e. theology, Bible Commentaries, etc... can be a bit pricey. Speaking of that I wish someone in the know would start one of those Free/Bargain threads for theology books...
Have you seen the free religious/christian books on ereaderiq.com? Another good free read are the biblical apocrypha:The books that were found in early bibles but which then disappeared.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_apocrypha

Last edited by xendula; 10-05-2012 at 07:54 AM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #39
QofResh
Enthusiast
QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Touch; Android Tablet (Asus TF300); PC App
Xendula,

I have not. Thank you for the tip, and I will be checking them out!

**UPDATE**
So I am not seeing to much by way of scholarly theological works, but I LOVE THE SITE!!! Thank you so much for introducing me to such a great tool!

Last edited by QofResh; 10-05-2012 at 08:34 AM.
QofResh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #40
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Happy to share
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #41
dkperez
Groupie
dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nine
Extremely price sensitive... I too saw the new Lee Child. I PASSED at $15. Same for John Sandford... Until these things get down to a reasonable price - and reasonable for me is a lot less than they want for the paperback - I"ll pass.

There's way too much readable stuff out there to be paying $15.00, or even $10.00 when I go through 100+ books/year.

Oh, and as far as reader price - If I bought a $50,000 car instead of a $25 beater, I'd STILL care about the price of gas and get it where it's most cost effective.
dkperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #42
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
There's only 1 author that I'm willing to pay as high as $6 for, the rest are between .99c and $4. I love reading but hey, bills need to get paid.
Given how long it takes to read a book, it's tremendous value. Compare what books cost per hour of reading, vs. what other forms of entertainment (eg. movies) cost per hour of entertainment.

Pay as high as $6 for? I think nothing of paying $15 for a book I want. If I want it, I buy it, and the price doesn't really matter. For example, I bought this: http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Steal...IOQ/page1.html

(Full disclosure, it's non-agency and I had a generous coupon code to use, but it still cost waaaaay more than $6. )

I'll be reading a typical book for, what, a dozen hours? Maybe more? Dirt cheap, per hour, compared to most other forms of entertainment at almost any price.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #43
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
I've found out that I'm very sensitive to bargains. Today I bought the Wool omnibus from Amazon ($1.99), and they other day I got Boardwalk Empire, even though I won't be able to read these in at least a year (huge TBR list).

So yeah, even though I [try to] do not time-discount hyperbolically, I'm still a sucker for a bargain
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:17 PM   #44
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel1626 View Post
I've found out that I'm very sensitive to bargains. Today I bought the Wool omnibus from Amazon ($1.99), and they other day I got Boardwalk Empire, even though I won't be able to read these in at least a year (huge TBR list).

So yeah, even though I [try to] do not time-discount hyperbolically, I'm still a sucker for a bargain
I should say that while I am happy to pay whatever is asked for an e-book that I want, I *do* wait for a discount code if it's a non-agency book. On Kobo the wait for the next discount code is never very long (thanks to a great thread on that very topic here where people share them), and if discount codes were few and far between then I might not wait for them to buy non-agency content.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:17 AM   #45
Matriarch
Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
I buy what I love, when I can afford it. That means that I'm perfectly happy with pay $21.17 for Isobelle Carmody's The Sending on Kindle. I struggle to think of an author more deserving.
Matriarch is offline   Reply With Quote