Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a smartphone-sized eInk device?
No, that is a silly idea. 107 56.02%
It depends. I need to see more specifics. 52 27.23%
Yes, my Kindle/Sony/Nook/iPad is too bulky to take everywhere 20 10.47%
Yes, but I'd like a touch screen with that. 12 6.28%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Would you be interested in a palm-sized eInk reader?

Folks read on iPhones and Blackberries and iPod Touches. Would an e-Ink device of similar be form factor be of interest to you?

I'm picturing a device where the screen has a very thin bezel, with navigation controls along the edges, or along the short sides. A screen roughly 9x6.5cm, give or take.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I meant to add another option like "my iPhone (or whatever) is good enough for that". Just vote 'No' if that's the case.
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
It would depend but it's not likely. Even with tri-focals, I probably wouldn't be able to see anything.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'm with Lady Fitzgerald on visibility. But perhaps a little fold-out lens over the screen ....?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
A good idea, but not with eInk

I used to read a lot with my Treo and before that on my Palm E2. I think with that sized device, you need a backlit screen. Why? Auto scroll!

Auto scroll makes reading on this sized device possible, reading a book one page at a time means many many MANY page advance button presses. Your finger will get very tired. With auto scroll, you set it up, and start to read.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I used to read a lot with my Treo and before that on my Palm E2. I think with that sized device, you need a backlit screen. Why? Auto scroll!

Auto scroll makes reading on this sized device possible, reading a book one page at a time means many many MANY page advance button presses. Your finger will get very tired. With auto scroll, you set it up, and start to read.
I can't speak for anyone else but auto scroll would drive me up the wall! Interesting idea, though.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:33 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I can't speak for anyone else but auto scroll would drive me up the wall! Interesting idea, though.
I agree. Personally I don't like scrolling to read for any decent length of time.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Personally I'd just use a smartphone, iPod Touch or something.

But I think there's a little room at the bottom for a smaller eink device than exists now, maybe not shrinking the screen so much but the rest of it - so it would be comfortable to hold in one hand with thumb on one edge and fingers on the other. E.g. take the 5" screen of Sony Pocket edition and shrink the case down as much as possible (say a 1/4" bezel). 4 buttons along the edge your fingers rest on for navigation, configurable for left or right-handedness (matching current orientation or manually set). Sell it for $120 or so...
Old 06-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #9
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I would. Even I had had to go a bit bigger than palm size I would like a nook that is the size of the Jetbook or Sony Pocket reader.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:43 PM   #10
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Personally I'd just use a smartphone, iPod Touch or something.

But I think there's a little room at the bottom for a smaller eink device than exists now, maybe not shrinking the screen so much but the rest of it - so it would be comfortable to hold in one hand with thumb on one edge and fingers on the other. E.g. take the 5" screen of Sony Pocket edition and shrink the case down as much as possible (say a 1/4" bezel). 4 buttons along the edge your fingers rest on for navigation, configurable for left or right-handedness (matching current orientation or manually set). Sell it for $120 or so...
Except for the $120 you're describing the PB360.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:51 PM   #11
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
No. Kindle etc. are a fine size for novel reading for me. It only leaves the house for out of town trips, and it takes up little room in a backpack, briefcase etc.

My only additional e-reading interest is a big screen, LCD tablet for letter sized PDF reading and marking up etc.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 06-18-2010 at 02:35 PM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:32 PM   #12
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I do a lot of reading on my phone. I just got a new HTC EVO with a 4.3" screen, and it is just about the perfect size for portable reading. Since I always have my phone with me, I can’t really see carrying another device unless I’m going to be out for longer than my phone battery will last. But then I’d prolly just carry a charger, and plug the EVO in.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:08 PM   #13
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post

I agree. I still read on my Palm T/X on occassion. Auto scroll is a great feature. It takes a little getting used to, but easier than turning the page.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:07 PM   #14
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Folks read on iPhones and Blackberries and iPod Touches.
The latest iPhone is glass on both sides. I immediately thought that, if it's glass anyway, why not make it a screen, which led to the notion of it being an e-paper mode one.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:31 PM   #15
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Opps, wrong thread! Sorry

Last edited by wodin; 06-22-2010 at 12:00 AM.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote