Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-02-2009, 04:16 AM   #1
Satans Puppet
Enthusiast
Satans Puppet doesn't litterSatans Puppet doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PR(whusit)505
It Arrived... Hooray!

Ahhhh, it arrived yesterday but it wasn’t without trauma let me tell you that…

Basically imagine having your ereader arrive only to discover that the bill payer has not paid the phone bill and you have been cut off, then find out that the phone company has had to cancel the line to reconnect it THUS cutting off your Broadband completely… well I gazed at my Sony Reader with deepest regret but LUCKILY my sister was at home this week and had a mobile dongle so I had to register my ereader to her laptop, hopefully that won’t affect hooking it up to my PC when I get the interweb back in SEVEN DAYS!!!

So my first Three Books?

Twilight Book 2 (If this was a best seller then I am the new Stephen King!!!)
Son Of A Witch
Death’s Daughter – Amber Benson

So I started with Twilight: New Moon last night and although reading a book on a screen seemed a little off at first it soon started to feel fine, I’ve had to zoom in as the text on the original page size was a touch too small but I’m flying through the book despite it being mildly repetitive during the first three chapters. I just wanna go off and read some more… huzzah.

Enjoying it so far but the little voice in the back of my mind is screaming because buying the device made me overdrawn and the extra interweb costs this month are putting me up the so called creek without a paddle…. At least I can read until they come and declare me bankrupt :lol:
Satans Puppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:31 AM   #2
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
congrats on getting your reader! Sorry it was connected with such trauma, but hopefully a few more days of blissful reading will heal your wounds.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2009, 06:22 AM   #3
Satans Puppet
Enthusiast

It's really good although I just spotted today that you can turn the page with some teeny buttons on the right hand side of the device, whereas I was using the page turner on the bottom left oops

Also on the main menu it says 'Continue Reading' but I keep having to bookmark pages because I don't know how to get my current book to appear in that continue reading bit
Old 04-02-2009, 06:53 AM   #4
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Congrats! You will love it I'm sure.

I use both sets of buttons on the left and right -- it just depends on how I'm holding it.

The 'continue reading' selection on the main menu is always the last book you had open. I use the folders to help get to books quickly as well as the bookmarks. I'm sure someone will come along with a better method though!
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:20 AM   #5
Satans Puppet
Enthusiast

Thanks I'll look into that... it doesn't appear to be showing my current book on the main menu though... hmmmmmmmmm suspect
Advert
Old 04-02-2009, 09:25 AM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Find PRSCustomizer in the 505 forum. It allows you to fix the round arrow button to turn pages. And automatically installs a clock on the tiny status bar.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:34 AM   #7
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satans Puppet View Post
LUCKILY my sister was at home this week and had a mobile dongle so I had to register my ereader to her laptop, hopefully that won’t affect hooking it up to my PC when I get the interweb back in SEVEN DAYS!!!
I "think" you can only have one PC registered to your reader
BUT that won't be a problem because you can de-authorize
her laptop then authorize your computer.. it's very simple.

Enjoy your new baby!
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:06 AM   #8
Satans Puppet
Enthusiast

ooo thankyou will do that tonight as she won't be there when I get back from the weekend trip :P
Old 04-02-2009, 12:36 PM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
If you lose your place in the book, you can always use the history to help find your way back. That's bailed me out several times.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:40 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbFabGab View Post
I "think" you can only have one PC registered to your reader
BUT that won't be a problem because you can de-authorize
her laptop then authorize your computer.. it's very simple.
Actually you register devices to your Sony account... not to a Reader. So, the laptop and the Sony will be registered to his/her account. When he gets his PC back online he can add that to the Sony account also, and things will work fine.

You can have up to 6 devices registered to the account.. so the above scenerio will mean 3 devices are registered.

As you say, if the laptop is never going to be used again, you would want to deregister it. But, you have to do it from that device.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:51 PM   #11
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satans Puppet View Post
Also on the main menu it says 'Continue Reading' but I keep having to bookmark pages because I don't know how to get my current book to appear in that continue reading bit
If you do leave your current book to open another book, it will still remember your page (without a bookmark) of every book you've read. So if you are reading X book, and leave on page 135 and start Y book, it will still remember you are on page 135 when you choose X book from the menu later. Once I discovered that, I have to admit, I rarely use bookmarks anymore. The only time it "forgets" where I am is when I have to redownload the book for some reason (rarely happens).
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:25 PM   #12
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
The nice thing about setting bookmarks is that you can easily access where you were in a book with only a couple of button presses. If you press and hold the bookmark button for a few seconds, a complete list of all bookmarks in all books currently loaded on your Reader will pop up. You can then choose the bookmark for the book you want to access.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
The nice thing about setting bookmarks is that you can easily access where you were in a book with only a couple of button presses. If you press and hold the bookmark button for a few seconds, a complete list of all bookmarks in all books currently loaded on your Reader will pop up. You can then choose the bookmark for the book you want to access.

dordale
Hey, I never knew that!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:15 PM   #14
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Hey, I never knew that!
Neither did I... But saying that I usually only have one book on the go at a time so never make use of the boomarks!
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:13 AM   #15
Satans Puppet
Enthusiast

Ahhh useful tips. I'm storming through twilight book 2, my review so far SPOILERS BELOW:

Wahhh my boyfriend left me, I'm so depressed.... Wahhh I'm even more depressed as the days pass... boo hoo... I want Edward, Boo hoo.... I'm like thinkin all suicidal thoughts because my boyfriend left me, boo hoo... but I can't because my mum and dad will miss my sour zombie like funk... boo hoo... oh I'm getting happier... no no... that was just a twinge... I'm still depressed.

How this series ever became a best seller, I will never know.

Have the Anita Blake books been ePUB(ed) up yet?