Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
RobLikesBrunch
RobLikesBrunch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Problems with my Kindle

So it arrived today, and it has two hardware problems:

1. The volume rocker doesn't "rock". It only makes a "clicky" feel for the - side. On the + side it doesn't move down whatsoever and you just have to apply pressure to get it to change.

2. The micro usb plug barely stays in and you have to push it up to get it to charge.

Not huge issues (I'm never going to use it for audio, and I only have to charge it once every two weeks as wireless isn't available here), and I'm not going to return it..especially because I live in Europe...but it seems somewhat ridiculous for a $359 device.
RobLikesBrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
RobLikesBrunch

Update: I just unplugged it and the charging light is still on.

What?
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

When you experience weird behavior with the charging light, please first try power off the device (slide the power slider to the other end for 5 sec). and then power on by slide it one more time (just a quick one).

Please make sure you are using the cable that came with Kindle 2 and the charging adapter from Kindle 2.

If you still experience the usb connectivity/charging issue, please contact (email or call) Amazon customer support.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
RobLikesBrunch

The power is now working normally, actually. I tried several restarts before, but this one seemed to do it...

But still..damn volume rocker >: (
Old 03-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Can you describe how would you like to see the physical volume switch evolve?

Also, make sure you send your feedback to kindle2-feedback@amazon.com

thanks.
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
RobLikesBrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmoy View Post
Can you describe how would you like to see the physical volume switch evolve?

Also, make sure you send your feedback to kindle2-feedback@amazon.com

thanks.
As I described before, it's defective. The "+" part of the rocker doesn't depress whatsoever. It's stuck.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Report it to Kindle Support. They will send you a new Kindle, more than likely.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #8
stevenmoy
Zealot

Just got back to my desk to try mine, the + does rock. Please contact Amazon regarding a replacement.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:55 PM   #9
stevenmoy
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLikesBrunch View Post
As I described before, it's defective. The "+" part of the rocker doesn't depress whatsoever. It's stuck.
I want to clarify that the kindle2-feedback [at] amazon.com address is usually for feedback. Since your situation seems to require a device replacement, you want to get ahold of Amazon Customer Support instead.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #10
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Guys!

Didn't you see? He's in Europe, not going to contact customer support, not going to use the device to listen to music.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #11
moxy789
moxy789 began at the beginning.

I have the exact same problem with the volume rocker. If you change your mind, Amazon will readily replace your Kindle 2 if you cite this issue. I just got off the phone with Customer Service and they are sending me a replacement overnight.
moxy789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #12
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I'm seeing more and more posts about defective Kindles, they need to beef up the quality control where ever they are building these babies. Do we know where they are assembled? China probably
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #13
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
Yeah, I'm thinking maybe it's good I didn't preorder the K2 and I'll just sit back for a bit and wait for the bugs to get worked out.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote