Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
iljajj
iljajj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iljajj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iljajj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iljajj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iljajj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iljajj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iljajj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iljajj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iljajj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iljajj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iljajj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo
HELP! Disk locked on Kobo Glo

Hi, just bought a Kobo Glo after having used the Touch for some time. However, after putting a bunch of books on the device, its flash drive now appears to be locked. There's no way I can put anything on or delete any books; even a factory reset won't work. Does anyone have any suggestions (is there a way to access the factory reset through the hardware?)? I'd be grateful for some hints.

Apple Disk Utility gives this analysis (but can't repair anything):

Verifying volume “KOBOeReader”
Checking file system** /dev/disk1
** Phase 1 - Preparing FAT
** Phase 2 - Checking Directories
/.kobo/KoboReader.sqlite-journal starts with cross-linked cluster (125834)
Truncate? no
/.kobo/KoboReader.sqlite-journal: Cluster chain starting at 125834 is cross-linked at cluster 125834
Truncate? no
size of /.kobo/KoboReader.sqlite-journal is 4640, should at most be 0
Truncate? no
/.kobo/Kobo/Analytics.conf starts with free cluster
Truncate? no
/.kobo/Kobo/Analytics.conf: Cluster chain starting at 125668 ends with cluster marked free
Truncate? no
size of /.kobo/Kobo/Analytics.conf is 173885, should at most be 4096
Truncate? no
** Phase 3 - Checking for Orphan Clusters
Found orphan cluster(s)
Fix? no
Found 47 orphaned clusters
Free space in FSInfo block (259239) not correct (259238)
Fix? no
2584 files, 1036952 KiB free (259238 clusters)
iljajj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by iljajj View Post
Hi, just bought a Kobo Glo after having used the Touch for some time. However, after putting a bunch of books on the device, its flash drive now appears to be locked. There's no way I can put anything on or delete any books; even a factory reset won't work. Does anyone have any suggestions (is there a way to access the factory reset through the hardware?)? I'd be grateful for some hints.
Try the following, thanks to Mrs_Often at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=194206&page=2

- Slide the On/off slider for enough seconds to be sure the device is off
- Press and hold down the light button
- Slide the on/off slider once as if you were switching it on, whilst still holding the light button

That should give you disco white flashing led light and restoring screen. You can let the light button go.
tkavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2013, 01:25 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
That looks like the file system is corrupt. And it appears the Mac tools can't repair it. If you have a Windows PC, connect to it and see if it can repair the driver. But, I think doing the factory reset that tkavan suggests is going to be needed. You can do this from the settings menu on the device if it is still running OK.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:55 AM   #4
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Ouch! Cross-linked clusters is bad news, definitely a corrupt file system. You might be able to fix it via a Windows PC, otherwise return your Glo and show the shop the details that you posted here so they can see that the memory is corrupt. They should replace the unit.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:49 AM   #5
iljajj
iljajj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iljajj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iljajj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iljajj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iljajj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iljajj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iljajj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iljajj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iljajj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iljajj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iljajj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Thanks people, was afraid it might be something like that. I tried the hardware reset, but although initially it seemed to be working the unit is clearly unable to write to the drive. So back it goes in return for a different specimen of same. Which, I hope, does work properly.

Update:
tried dosfsck under Ubuntu but no sigar.

Last edited by iljajj; 02-27-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Advert
Old 02-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #6
iljajj

Just a follow-up question to solve this issue without having to send the unit back.

I can't write anything TO the flash drive, but I can read off it. Would it help to take all the files (hidden and visible) off, then do a FAT32 format, and then place them all back (provided I can even format the blasted thing, of course)?

Thanks for helping me out.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:42 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The factory reset does a format on the partition. Then it copies the basic files to the partition. If the file system is corrupt after that, it probably means the internal micro SD card is faulty. There has been at least one report of this happening with a new Glo. The person was having weird problems, opened the device and extracted the card and tested it. He found errors so he took it back. Or maybe they just decided to put a new larger card and continue to use it.

Trying a manual format won't harm. If it doesn't work, it will only have cost a little time.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #8
iljajj

Thanks for that. I'll give this a go and if that doesn't work, I shall have to exchange it for a new (and hopefully better) Glo.

Point is, apart from this I really like the device, far more than the Paperwhite I had earlier (also faulty ) because it is less restrictive in the formats it uses, the front light is more even and because I like the interface.

Final update: unit returned, new one received. Seems to work better, and light is less blueish, too.

Last edited by iljajj; 03-02-2013 at 05:43 AM.

Tags
flash drive, kobo glo, problems