Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #346
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
The features don't "disappear" so much as the T1 goes back to running the stock reader. (F'rex, the font selections go back to the default ones.)

That said, I have experimented and found that the no-root installer can be used on a rooted T1, and that doing so means that the changes survive a reboot.
That sounds encouraging for rooted users Something extra, and vital, included in the non-root install procedure, it seems.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:53 PM   #347
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
I'm really enjoying the customization features provided by Morkl's EbookReader -- I was kinda missing PRS+, but with Morkl's tweaks, it's pretty much a non-issue now.

Morkl!

I'm curious, though -- in the reader.xml file, I understand that the <fontSizeTableEpub> is for epubs, and while I haven't tried it, I assume the <fontSizeTablePdf> is for PDFs.

Does anyone know what the other size tables are for?

<fontSizeTable> ??
<fontSizeTableText> ??
<fontSizeTableXmdf> ??
<fontSizeTableDotbook> ??
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #348
HANZ
HANZ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Just to provide my input. I did a fresh installation of the June reader on an unrooted PRS-T1, and after a reboot it is still there.

That clock is just so awesome. Thanks again Morkl.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #349
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pssquirrel View Post
I'm really enjoying the customization features provided by Morkl's EbookReader -- I was kinda missing PRS+, but with Morkl's tweaks, it's pretty much a non-issue now.

Morkl!

I'm curious, though -- in the reader.xml file, I understand that the <fontSizeTableEpub> is for epubs, and while I haven't tried it, I assume the <fontSizeTablePdf> is for PDFs.

<fontSizeTable> ??
<fontSizeTableText> ??
<fontSizeTableXmdf> ??
I asked a similar question back in January in the other Morkl thread. This was the response.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #350
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, as always, jackie_w for being so very helpful!

Curious - did you end up deleting the sections you weren't using, and if so, did it have any ill effects?
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #351
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Morkl!

<fontSizeTable> ??
<fontSizeTableText> ??
<fontSizeTableXmdf> ??
And have a read of this post for what the numbers mean...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=76
Old 07-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #352
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Curious - did you end up deleting the sections you weren't using, and if so, did it have any ill effects?
I just left the different sets of numbers alone. I figured it would not make much of an issue to just leave them and chances are, if somethings going to go wrong,t hat would be it.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #353
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaCat View Post
I was on of the others who expressed an interest in this, only just found my way here. I'll give a look around and see if I'm up to doing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I can give you a hand if you like. I've already installed the modified reader on an unrooted T1. I have one other T1 to install the latest version on.
Quote:
I'd like to take you up on that offer, I've stayed up way to late the last couple nights trying to finish the last two books in the ST Vanguard series only to have a cat insert himself between me and my reader and announce (loudly) time for bed and kitty snax!
Many thanks to Jon for talking me through installing the June Reader Update! I love having the little clock down in the corner and the darker Charis font is very comfortable to read when I'm only using the light from my Sony cover.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #354
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Quote:
I'd like to take you up on that offer, I've stayed up way to late the last couple nights trying to finish the last two books in the ST Vanguard series only to have a cat insert himself between me and my reader and announce (loudly) time for bed and kitty snax!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
I get an angry puppy, 2 teenagers, and a husband!

Question, are we not allowed to post specific instructions in here, now that we're in the right part of the forum and correct thread?

I really want that clock, and battery level would be great too... *sighs*
You've got me beat by a mile!

It wasn't very hard at all once JSWolf guided me through it. Having the clock is awesome!
Old 07-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #355
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Blue2u, do you need help installing the modified reader app? Let me know and I'll give you help on doing so.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #356
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Yes, I deleted all the size sections except <fontSizeTableEpub>, just in case I edited one of the other sections by mistake. I never read TXT files on the reader but I thought changing the PDF section may have unwanted consequences for the following reason.

I'm quite happy to be told I'm wrong but I think font-size 2 in the PDF section, which has a value of 170, may be a "special" value (i.e. hard-coded into the app) which determines whether a PDF displays in "normal" or "reflow" mode. I think the 170 refers to "normal", which may mean that if you remove it you'll always get "reflow" and things like images and special formating may disappear, whichever font-size you choose on the reader.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #357
pssquirrel
ebooknut

Thanks! I was thinking about fiddling with the other settings, but now I think I'll either delete them or ignore them since I really only read epubs on my reader. (And my main reason for deleting would be my penchant for clean code :-)
Old 07-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #358
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Blue2u, do you need help installing the modified reader app? Let me know and I'll give you help on doing so.
I see Marciacat is enjoying hers, and I am very tempted. You are so kind to offer!

My free time is so sporadic, is there not some way to post a tutorial-type instruction here? Maybe I don't understand the guidelines well enough, but it would be easiest for me [and then possibly others?] to just have a walkthrough posted right here if it's not breaking any rules? Or is it too specific or involved? I am still so hesitant to mess up my T1, and with time contraints as well, maybe I'll just wait. I see on the previous page alone that users recently have tried to add it and it didn't work [camperbc, randbrittan], and I think I will just leave it alone until there's more specific instructions. Or wait and see what the new "T2" may offer!

But thank you again JSWolf.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #359
dmiller
Enthusiast
dmiller began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I have installed the June modified reader and like its potential, but don't know very much about CSS, and I haven't found any instructions about how to modify them in this thread. If it is not too difficult, it would be really helpful if someone could post samples of what they have substituted for Fonts A-F. Users like me could then modify the examples without too much difficulty.

Also, where does one put custom fonts? I'm guessing a Fonts folder in the Reader folder. Is that correct?

(I should add that the clock and, as always, the delayed screen-refresh are nice.)
Old 07-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #360
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller View Post
Also, where does one put custom fonts? I'm guessing a Fonts folder in the Reader folder. Is that correct?
You can put them wherever you want but the css files you create need to code the path to the fonts correctly.

The sample css files provided in the download assume you're going to put them in [READER Drive:]\reader\fonts (in Windows parlance) Please note, all paths, filenames, extensions are case-sensitive, i.e a directory called reader\fonts is not the same as reader\Fonts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller View Post
... but don't know very much about CSS, and I haven't found any instructions about how to modify them in this thread. If it is not too difficult, it would be really helpful if someone could post samples of what they have substituted for Fonts A-F. Users like me could then modify the examples without too much difficulty.
The reason you may not be have found specific instructions here is that the css required to do this kind of thing has been swirling around for every Sony model since the PRS505. Hence it's scattered all over the forums in various different threads and possibly not easily found. You can look at Morkl's sample files (default.css, a.css, b.css, etc) to get an idea, but if you can wait I'll post some worked examples with explanatory notes. It will take me a little while, but should be later today.
Closed Thread