Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-08-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Motorola Xoom & side-loading epub files

I am seriously considering a Xoom when they are released here in early April. I seem to be unable to find any information on e-pub readers and the possibility of side-loading any of my many existing epub books onto it.

Does anybody out there who has one have any pointers / ideas for me?

Thanks in advance
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
You should just be able to copy the ePub files into a suitable folder with the Xoom linked to your PC by a USB lead, and import or read them in apps like Aldiko. It works fine on my Android phone.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 07:57 AM   #3
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Its an andriod device their is no side loading needed just connect to the pc transfer the epubs into it just like you would do on your sony Actually if you use dropbox don't even need to connect to the PC just download the files you want. I would recommend coolreader for reading epubs to me is the best reader opensource and free
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks both of you.

I've never used an Android device before and, for some reason, I'd got it into my head that it wasn't that easy. You've put my mind at rest

Roll on first week of April (current anticipated release date in the UK).
Old 03-08-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Thanks both of you.

I've never used an Android device before and, for some reason, I'd got it into my head that it wasn't that easy. You've put my mind at rest

Roll on first week of April (current anticipated release date in the UK).
You lucky SOB's Hopefully the US rollout of the wifi only xoom's wont be too far behind. Staples here in America (a computer and office supply chain) is the latest rumor from Droid-Life.com that will carry the wifi only.

This will be my tablet of choice. I was going to wait for Samsungs Galaxy revamped but with their trackrecord on updates, I'll pass.

I couldn't help myself and went back to Verizon yesterday just to play. And now that I know more about how to get around, it's even more impressive.

Good luck to you
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #6
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab, and load epub files using DropBox. I just upload my books from anywhere to a DropBox folder called "Books" (you can use any name or just the root directory) then read them with Aldiko which can directly access my DropBox folder on the SGT.

Both DropBox and Aldiko are free downloads from the Android Market, but you do need to establish a free DropBox account.

I see no reason that it should not work the same on the Xoom.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
You lucky SOB's Hopefully the US rollout of the wifi only xoom's wont be too far behind. Staples here in America (a computer and office supply chain) is the latest rumor from Droid-Life.com that will carry the wifi only.
Thanks! The wifi only and 3g versions are released at the same time here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab, and load epub files using DropBox. I just upload my books from anywhere to a DropBox folder called "Books" (you can use any name or just the root directory) then read them with Aldiko which can directly access my DropBox folder on the SGT.

Both DropBox and Aldiko are free downloads from the Android Market, but you do need to establish a free DropBox account.

I see no reason that it should not work the same on the Xoom.
Thanks wodin - I'll have to look into that way of doing it.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
You can also transfer files wirelessly over your home network between Xoom and computer. This function is included in the free and excellent app, ES File Explorer. It is very simple to set up and quite handy. I highly recommend this app if only for the file exploration alone. :-) It includes several themes other than the "winter" theme displayed on the screenshots.

Have a look: http://www.estrongs.com/en/products/file-explorer.html

Sent from my Xoom!
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #9
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
You can also transfer files wirelessly over your home network between Xoom and computer. This function is included in the free and excellent app, ES File Explorer. It is very simple to set up and quite handy. I highly recommend this app if only for the file exploration alone. :-) It includes several themes other than the "winter" theme displayed on the screenshots.

Have a look: http://www.estrongs.com/en/products/file-explorer.html

Sent from my Xoom!
does the Xoom support DLNA? If so you will be able to do that without an app as well, assuming your computer also supports it, which most newer oned do, well excep you know who
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
You should just be able to copy the ePub files into a suitable folder with the Xoom linked to your PC by a USB lead, and import or read them in apps like Aldiko. It works fine on my Android phone.

Graham
Yes, this. They load, and display quite well in Aldiko -- but it has to 'import' them into it's database etc.

FBReader works fine (not as fancy as others) and you can just drag and drop.

The Google Books app does not allow for loading your own epubs

Kindle and Nook apps work great. With Nook you can supposedly sideload.

I use Calibre to work with my DroidX but until support is available I'm not using it yet for the Xoom.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:23 AM   #11
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Thanks all.

Lots of stuff for me to look at and explore