Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
jsulak
jsulak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Two-way Instapaper sync for Windows (new app)

Hi everyone,

I'm James Sulak, a programmer (and e-book reader enthusiast) in Houston, Texas, and this is my first post.

Earlier this year, Carlo Zottmann released a little program called Ephemera, which gave Mac users the ability to two-way sync between Instapaper.com and their reading device. I've heard nothing but great things about Ephemera, and I really wanted to use it myself. But I'm a PC, not a Mac.

But that’s nothing a bit of code couldn’t fix. So a few months of weekend hacking later, I'm happy to announce Wordcycler, which brings two-way Instapaper syncing goodness to Windows.

Wordcycler lives in the notification tray. When you connect your reader, it fetches your unread Instapaper items, saves them to the device as single articles, and (if you want) ejects it. When you finish reading an article, delete it from your reader, and it will be archived on Instapaper.com the next time you sync. And any articles that you read and archived on Instapaper.com in the meantime will be deleted from the reader as well. Wordcycler can also download the pre-made all-in-one bundles available from Instapaper.

It supports any device that reads ePub or Mobipocket, and is visible to a PC as a USB drive. I've tested it on Windows XP and 7 against a Kindle 2 and a Sony PRS-500.

If sounds good to you, please check it out and let me know what you think. I'd love to hear your feedback, bug reports, ideas, etc. There's also a video demonstration for those so inclined:

And make sure to thank Carlo for the inspired idea.

(Wordcycler is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Instapaper or Ephemera.)

-James

Last edited by jsulak; 06-30-2010 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Made title clearer.
jsulak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instapaper, syncing, windows