Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-01-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Optimized for Kindle DX

Anybody else notice that certain books are being tagged with "optimized for Kindle DX"

http://www.amazon.com/Its-Good-Be-Ki.../dp/B000FC0QE8

Quote:
This title has complex layouts and has been optimized for reading on Kindle DX's larger screen, but can still be viewed on other devices.
I wonder if they are actually rescanning these or if they are just adding a tag.
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I'm looking at it on my PC, and I can't see anything unusual about this title.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:56 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I too see nothing special. Also, I don't see that eBook as needing a complex layout.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:57 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I didn't see at first but here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dx optimized.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	30186  
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #5
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I didn't see at first but here it is.
Yeah, sorry about that. Guess I should have pointed it out in the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I too see nothing special. Also, I don't see that eBook as needing a complex layout.
Maybe the pictures were scanned in at a higher resolution that the Kindle DX can take advantage of? That's the only real thing I can think of.

Last edited by Sporadic; 06-01-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:42 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
Maybe the pictures were scanned in at a higher resolution that the Kindle DX can take advantage of? That's the only real thing I can think of.
Not that I can tell.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:47 PM   #7
Sporadic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Not that I can tell.
I mean the pictures in the book (I imagine it has pictures in the middle like most wrestling autobiographies)
Old 06-02-2009, 12:03 AM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
I mean the pictures in the book (I imagine it has pictures in the middle like most wrestling autobiographies)
If there were any high resolution pictures I'd see them when reading the book with MobiDesktop.

This book was in AZW, which is identical to Mobipocket format. Mobi has the option of embedding 3 different resolution images in one tag: "losrc", "src", "hisrc". I can see all 3 with MobiDesktop. None of the images in this book are big enough to need the "hisrc" attribute.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:08 AM   #9
Sporadic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
If there were any high resolution pictures I'd see them when reading the book with MobiDesktop.

This book was in AZW, which is identical to Mobipocket format. Mobi has the option of embedding 3 different resolution images in one tag: "losrc", "src", "hisrc". I can see all 3 with MobiDesktop. None of the images in this book are big enough to need the "hisrc" attribute.
Oh sorry, I didn't know you could view Kindle books on the PC or that you purchased the book.

I wonder what makes this "optimized for Kindle DX" if it isn't the pictures.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:25 AM   #10
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Maybe the person who made the book just put that there without it really meaning anything.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:38 AM   #11
Sporadic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Maybe the person who made the book just put that there without it really meaning anything.
Seems to be an Amazon thing though, the tag shows up when you look at the book listing in the Kindle store (on the device)

There also seems to be more with it

http://www.amazon.com/Batista-Unleashed/dp/B000UZJRYK
Old 06-02-2009, 12:47 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
marketing gimmick?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:37 AM   #13
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Here's another one:

http://www.amazon.com/Magical-Worlds...3920847&sr=1-5
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:02 AM   #14
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Here's a thought: perhaps you actually have to have a Kindle DX registered, so that when you buy it for the DX, you'll get a different file than if you buy it for the Kindle device?
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:06 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is that that is a graphic and there is no way to search for eBooks optimized for the DX. So basically, that tag is useless.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote