Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-24-2014, 10:45 AM   #601
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I'm doing okay on my sub-challenges, but it does still seem like there's a long way to go.

I made a spreadsheet to manage my (now) 12 challenges from Worlds Without End, and ended up with a list of 51 books to cover 130 slots, trying to focus on books I already owned, and which covered as many challenges as possible. I have now read 31 of the 51, leaving me with 20 to go, but that's still 4 a month for the next five months, which is still a fairly high speed for me, especially when there are other things I also want to read. I'm going to have fewer constraints next year, for sure.

I'm currently just over half way through the 32nd book, The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter, which at 630 pages is the longest book remaining on my list. I'm hoping to finish it before the end of the month.

My TBR challenge has been wounded by the Hugo packets, but I'm still hopeful. The Hugo packets and my inability to avoid buying more books.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:57 PM   #602
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Down a little, but still well on track to make my original goal, just not the stretch goal of 150 books. I'm at 84 right now. Need to find some nice short ones.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:08 PM   #603
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Durned. I've updated the reading challenge thread, and my end of year projection crept up by 4 (!) pages instead of 400. Oops.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:10 PM   #604
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
...My projection is leveling out after plummeting since January...
Ya, about that whole levelling out thing... Doh! This is the first month where I have missed my goal by a significant percentage (over 15% low).

Overall, I am still ahead of track for the year, but my margin is getting fairly slim. I hope August is better, but I know I have at least a couple days where my reading will be reduced due to other obligations.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:35 PM   #605
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Ya, about that whole levelling out thing... Doh! This is the first month where I have missed my goal by a significant percentage (over 15% low).

Overall, I am still ahead of track for the year, but my margin is getting fairly slim. I hope August is better, but I know I have at least a couple days where my reading will be reduced due to other obligations.
I'm in similar circumstances. I may finish one more book this month, but even so, I will have read only 9 books this month -- and July is a LONG month. I've also read significantly fewer pages this month, so I can't blame long books for the reduction in number completed.

At the beginning of the month, I was 12 books ahead of schedule to complete 150 by the end of the year. I chose to view that as being one month ahead of schedule since I need to average 12.5 books per month. I feel fortunate to have had a bit of a buffer since I didn't manage to get much reading done this month.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:38 AM   #606
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
I'm in similar circumstances. I may finish one more book this month, but even so, I will have read only 9 books this month -- and July is a LONG month. I've also read significantly fewer pages this month, so I can't blame long books for the reduction in number completed.

At the beginning of the month, I was 12 books ahead of schedule to complete 150 by the end of the year. I chose to view that as being one month ahead of schedule since I need to average 12.5 books per month. I feel fortunate to have had a bit of a buffer since I didn't manage to get much reading done this month.
Same here, I have been unwilling to pay the high prices for the harry potter books. Since I joined Kindle Unlimited I have been trying to complete the series, the closed series, now that price no longer makes any difference. I also have a smaller one about an Israeli air pilot, can't seem to recall the name at this point. I have gotten $23 worth of books from the program for $10 thus far. Keeping track for a while to determine if the program is worth while to me.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:23 AM   #607
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I'll never finish all my challenges at World Without End, but doing ok with my goal for 120 books for the year and my age challenge.

Just finished Warrior's Apprentice by Lois Bujold. Her writing really improved from earlier books.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #608
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I'll never finish all my challenges at World Without End, but doing ok with my goal for 120 books for the year and my age challenge.

Just finished Warrior's Apprentice by Lois Bujold. Her writing really improved from earlier books.
I was always considered to be odd going through so many books. I am glad to see here that I am hardly excentric, I am pretty normal in these parts.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:11 AM   #609
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I'm still a little bit ahead in my main challenge of reading 120 books this year (ahead by three books), thanks to a good first half of the year - I've read considerably less since late June due to a more busy social life + the football world cup.

I suspect I'll actually fall behind in September, when I have a trip planned, but will probably manage to catch up again later in the year.

At least I'm doing well with all my sub-challenges other than the "not buying more than 120 ebooks for myself this year" - well, I'm still under 120, but my monthly average is well over 10 so far. Ah well.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:38 AM   #610
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I'm still 1 book ahead of schedule for number of books I've set to read this year, but I'm few hundred pages behind the set goal for number of pages read.
I totally gave up on updating my progress here on MR in the challenge thread. GR just makes it so easier, and I figured that's enough for me.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:25 AM   #611
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I'm two books behind. However, a couple of weeks ago I was about 8 or 9 books behind, so I'm good with that.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #612
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
I totally gave up on updating my progress here on MR in the challenge thread. GR just makes it so easier, and I figured that's enough for me.
Maybe you could link to your GR 2014 page in the list thread then? I enjoy seeing what others are reading and go through the lists a few times a year.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:21 AM   #613
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Hi I'm a new member. I have completed my goal of 100 books on goodreads. I now intend to relax a bit and read for fewer hours per day, a plan that's for me, difficult to pull off as I'm addicted to reading a lot now!
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:24 AM   #614
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Hi I'm a new member. I have completed my goal of 100 books on goodreads. I now intend to relax a bit and read for fewer hours per day, a plan that's for me, difficult to pull off as I'm addicted to reading a lot now!
Congratulations on the 100 books. The first hundred pulls you in. Now you're stuck with a reading habit for life.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:31 AM   #615
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Congratulations on the 100 books. The first hundred pulls you in. Now you're stuck with a reading habit for life.
Thanks pdurrant, it's nice to be here.

EDIT : Your 2014 book total is incredible. Just noticed it.

Last edited by Luffy; 08-20-2014 at 04:33 AM.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote