Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-07-2008, 02:26 PM   #1
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
A truly pathetic BBC review

Once upon a time the BBC stood for intelligent reporting. Now they just take a potentially fascinating idea and crush it into 2 minutes and 15 seconds of pointless froth.

Three librarians from the British Library review a range of liseuses....

E-books put to the test
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
jljones
Enthusiast
jljones is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad
You could hardly call it a review. And I didn't like the caption saying that they were designed to replace paper books.
The only good point was the range of readers mentioned.
jljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
tazzle
Glyph
tazzle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I think you're failing to understand the point of this piece. It's really an exploration of how many books Simon needs to carry around... which turns out to be "one, maybe two." This brings up a lot of rather complex questions which I hope will be addressed in later programs: When does he need to carry around two? And is one of them a dictionary?

I'm also looking forward to his comparative review of mobile phones in which he will reveal how many people he needs to speak to daily. Just one, maybe two? And his rundown on GPS devices, in which he confesses that four directions seem far too many; he can do very well with just North and... maaaybe West.
tazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:24 PM   #4
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
What a disgrace that is. How much of our licence fee is going to this idiot? And as you say it passes for serious reporting.

Functionality, yes; feel, no!!
That tosser wants his knackers feeling I think.

As somebody said on another thread, the motor car doesn't have the same feel as the horse. I know which I'd prefer - a light slim reader with all my books on it or a pile of paperbacks. And I haven't even got mine yet :-)
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:03 PM   #5
Richard Herley
Author
Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Ned -- none of my licence fee goes to the BBC, because I don't pay it! When I see this sort of rubbish I'm confirmed in the wisdom of our decision, years ago, to dump the TV set.
Richard Herley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:04 PM   #6
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I need my cell phone for pretty much 'one, maybe two' people. Everyone I know uses email except for my mother and my landlady

I have never understood this idea that e-books or print books are an 'either/or' proposition. There are some book genres I enjoy where I do prefer the print version---cookbooks, for example, where it is important to me able to see the whole page at once, and where a nice layout and some pictures goes a long way. But the latest paperback mystery? What about it specifically *needs* to be in paper? And at the rate I go through them, I was getting some from the library, selling others back to the used bookstore as I finished them...e-books for me are more durable because I don't need to get rid of them due to space constraints. And they are cheaper. What I like to do is buy a hot new release on Fictionwise when it is on 100% micropay rebate, and then spend the rebate on half a dozen other books
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:24 PM   #7
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Herley View Post
Ned -- none of my licence fee goes to the BBC, because I don't pay it! When I see this sort of rubbish I'm confirmed in the wisdom of our decision, years ago, to dump the TV set.

I *never* bring this subject up in mixed company, but, ahem, now that you mention it--congratulations on your wise decision to kill your TV. We've lived without a TV in my household for 15+ years. It amazes me that so many people voluntarily invite so much pathology right into their living rooms. And let the kids watch, too!

And before anyone messages me about it--I know--you only watch the educational channel....

Okay. I feel better now.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I don't know who these librarians are, but they did a poor job reviewing the readers. There was no depth to this piece. it just feels like fluff. I know I disagree woth them, but come on now, they don't get it. I don't think they've spend enough time with any of these readers to be able to give a truly accurate review one way or the other. Let's get the guy who hosted this piece to carry around two huge hard covers and then tell me he doesn't want a reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:39 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
It amazes me that so many people voluntarily invite so much pathology right into their living rooms. And let the kids watch, too!
He says while sitting in front of his computer with an internet, the bastion of purity, connection.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:51 PM   #10
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I liked the way he waved the largest of the bunch around as he was summing up - maybe trying to subliminally convince people that they are big, clumsy devices.

Actually, for a moment or two I thought he was going to point out that whilst books could withstand dropping, the readers couldn't, complete with demonstation!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:05 PM   #11
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
He says while sitting in front of his computer with an internet, the bastion of purity, connection.

BOb
What, no smiley? Ouch.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:47 PM   #12
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
That tosser wants his knackers feeling I think.
HarryT, any help here?
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:56 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
HarryT, any help here?
You want a translation?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:11 AM   #14
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Ummm, did one of the Librarians say "When reading in bed, you don't need any lights" ??????

Or did I hear it wrong?
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:37 AM   #15
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Ummm, did one of the Librarians say "When reading in bed, you don't need any lights" ??????

Or did I hear it wrong?
Yes one of them did say that.

But asking those guys to review the readers is like asking my cats what they thought of going vegetarian.

Last edited by Ned; 10-08-2008 at 05:12 AM. Reason: changed wording
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote