Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #421
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Hyphenation "emulation" in AZW3 (which IS possible)

The latest firmware for Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle Touch and Kindle PaperWhite added the support for the new AZW3/mobi8 format. ePub format is not actually handled by Amazon devices but the latest mobi version handles many of the ePub features and an ePub converted to mobi8 with calibre looks very similar to the original.

However there's an important missing feature on kindles: hyphenation. Actually there's an hack (by Ixtab) for Kindle Touch an Kindle Paperwhite which adds hyphenation support for the older mobi format, but it cannot work for AZW3/mobi8.

The weird thing is that hyphens can already be handled by the new kindle format. If you manually insert the ­ HTML entity (soft hyphen) between the syllables in an ePub book and convert it to AZW3 they're correctly rendered on the screeen. And it won't affect indexing and searching. Here is a post with a sample. Yes, it's definitely not elegant and files will be larger but at the moment it's the only option to have hyphenation on this format (and more in general, on un-hacked e-ink Kindles).

It would then be nice to have a plugin (or to modify an existing one) to add/remove this sort of "hyphenation emulation" to ePubs before conversion to mobi8/azw3.

Last edited by pirl8; 01-02-2013 at 10:36 AM.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #422
Martin Hollander
Martin Hollander began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Extract Pubdate

Kiwidude,

Is it possible for you to create a plugin based on Extract ISBN that extracts the original year of publication?

Most books contain, within the first few pages, the copyright symbol or the word Copyright. The first occurrence of four adjacent digits after the copyright symbol or word should be the year of first publication. It would be nice if this year could be extracted and used to set the pubdate metadata field (with month and day both set to 1).

Examples:
Copyright © 2003 by Belfry Holdings, Inc.
Copyright © 1991 by John Grisham
Copyright by John Doe 1988
© by Jane Doe, 1999

I want to use this original publication year to get my books sorted by author and then by original publication year, because I like to read books from an author in the order they were published, which is most likely the order in which they were written. So I organise by author, then by publication year, then by series number or title.

Could you please let me know if this is possible for you?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Martin Hollander; 01-13-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Martin Hollander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #423
tarisea
Zealot
tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iphone
A NEW IDEA FOR A PLUGIN

I have a column titled Release Date. Whenever there is a book I’m particularly interested in that has yet to be released I’ll put an empty book in and put its release date in that column. Then I try to remember to check that column every once in the while. Once I’ve purchased the book I take the release date out and add the book into the blank entry.

Somewhere in here is a couple of ideas for a plugin.

1. The first idea is a plugin that based on the date in that column (or a date that is entered some other way) turns the row red when that date arrives and keeps it red until you let it know (somehow) that the book has been purchased. It would be nice to have the icon on the toolbar change color to let you know that a new book has been released.

2. The second idea for a plugin would be would allow you to enter a list of authors and each time caliber is started up the plugin would reach out to Barnes and Noble or Amazon or both and let you know if a new book has been set for release. The user can then select from the list interested/not interested and then the plugin would let you know when that book has actually been released. Again in addition to the popup list it would be great if the icon on the toolbar would change color when there were new books set for release until the user selected interested/not interested, and also when the book was released until the user indicated the book had been purchased.

I'm not a programmer. I have no idea how any of this would be accomplished. But I really like the idea of Calibre working with me for new books.

Thanks
tarisea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #424
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarisea View Post
I'm not a programmer. I have no idea how any of this would be accomplished. But I really like the idea of Calibre working with me for new books.
I can't speak to the programming of a plugin, but until something in calibre is available you might want to investigate FictFact because this site does exactly what you're referring to. Whenever a book by an author or series I read is announced or about to be released FictFact sends me an email informing of this info. I received notification today that a book of one of the series I had read is about to be released.

Quote:
The following book(s) are out this week in your favorite series!

Haunted Moon Haunted Moon
#13 in Sisters of the Moon - Otherworld
By Yasmine Galenorn
Publish Date:1/29/2013 - Coming Soon!
PRE-ORDER FROM AMAZON
Quite a nice little service.

Last week FictFact informed me of the latest book by Kim Harrison being released and two series I read announced new books to be published further down the road.

Quote:
The following book(s) are out this week in your favorite series!

Ever After Ever After
#18 in Rachel Morgan / The Hollows
By Kim Harrison
Publish Date:1/22/2013 - Coming Soon!
PRE-ORDER FROM AMAZON

The following book(s) were added to the series you are following!

Kitty in the Underworld
#12 in Kitty Norville
By Carrie Vaughn
VIEW BOOK

Inferno: A Novel
#4 in Robert Langdon
By Dan Brown
VIEW BOOK
Good Reading.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #425
tarisea
Zealot
tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iphone
Thank you for the recommendation. This website is great but it only tracks series. An author like John Grisham who (other than Theodore Boone) doesn't do series is lost here.
tarisea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #426
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
I put the release date in the remarks column and use a custom column GetBook (yes/no). Then via a saved search I periodicially run and check the date. Not elegant put I rarely purchase books when released, rather wait for the price to decrease; hopefully...
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:13 PM   #427
DedTV
Enthusiast
DedTV began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505; Galaxy Tab 7
A few quick ideas

A few plug ins I'd like to see.

- A Metadata plug in for Shelfari. I know they don't have an API so it'd have to be done via scraping which isn't ideal for users and can be an outright PITA for the developer if the site changes. But it's a very good source of well maintained, and very comprehensive metadata and cover images that I find myself using more and more often to verify and correct metadata I get from other places. So a metadata plug in for Calibre using it would be excellent.

- A Sync/support plugin for Google's My Library. I switched over to using Google from Goodreads (for various reasons that aren't important). However it was reluctant due to the Goodreads Sync plug in's excellence. I would love to see a similar plugin for Google.
DedTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #428
TheGreatNi
TheGreatNi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Well, recently I tried to convince Kovid to use the attached picture for RTF files instead of the current one. I thought it was more accurate. If you want to change it, go into:
\Calibre\resources\images\mimetypes
Then copy over the image attached and replace the old one.
Attached Files
File Type: zip rtf.zip (9.1 KB, 377 views)
TheGreatNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #429
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatNi View Post
Well, recently I tried to convince Kovid to use the attached picture for RTF files instead of the current one. I thought it was more accurate. If you want to change it, go into:
\Calibre\resources\images\mimetypes
Then copy over the image attached and replace the old one.
From the Calibre manual http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cust...ates-et-cetera

Quote:
You should not change the files in this resources folder, as your changes will get overwritten the next time you update calibre. Instead, go to Preferences->Advanced->Miscellaneous and click Open calibre configuration directory. In this configuration directory, create a sub-folder called resources and place the files you want to override in it. Place the files in the appropriate sub folders, for example place images in resources/images, etc. calibre will automatically use your custom file in preference to the built-in one the next time it is started.

For example, if you wanted to change the icon for the Remove books action, you would first look in the built-in resources folder and see that the relevant file is resources/images/trash.png. Assuming you have an alternate icon in PNG format called mytrash.png you would save it in the configuration directory as resources/images/trash.png. All the icons used by the calibre user interface are in resources/images and its sub-folders.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:57 AM   #430
SauliusP.
Plugin developer
SauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirl8 View Post
It would then be nice to have a plugin (or to modify an existing one) to add/remove this sort of "hyphenation emulation" to ePubs before conversion to mobi8/azw3.
There is a need to extend Calibre's architecture here, I believe. Conversion is done with two types of plugins: InputFormatPlugin, which reads input file (EPUB in your example) and creates intermediate OEB book and OutputFormatPlugin, which out of OEB creates desired output book, e.g. AZW3. Problem is that there is no "Intermedate" plugin, which could modify OEB before conversion. If there was such a thing, it would be damn nice to add various "modifiers". One of them could be hyphenator. I could implement it, if there was a possibility like this, because I wouldn't like to create a GUI plugin for this type of work.

Will read Calibre's manual on plugins and raise an idea. In my native language words are much longer than in English and I am crazy about this soft-hyphenation myself.
SauliusP. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:56 AM   #431
SauliusP.
Plugin developer
SauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SauliusP. View Post
Will read Calibre's manual on plugins and raise an idea. In my native language words are much longer than in English and I am crazy about this soft-hyphenation myself.
Kovid was kind as always to explain how to implement something like that in a form of GUI Plugin. So I am taking this one. Will employ Open Office hyphenation dictionaries to do the job.

"Hyphen This" plugin is starting [****. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .]
SauliusP. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #432
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SauliusP. View Post
"Hyphen This" plugin is starting
Wow! This sounds REALLY great.
Thank you.
Fell free to use me as a tester!!!
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #433
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Hollander View Post
Kiwidude,

Is it possible for you to create a plugin based on Extract ISBN that extracts the original year of publication?

Most books contain, within the first few pages, the copyright symbol or the word Copyright. The first occurrence of four adjacent digits after the copyright symbol or word should be the year of first publication. It would be nice if this year could be extracted and used to set the pubdate metadata field (with month and day both set to 1).

Examples:
Copyright © 2003 by Belfry Holdings, Inc.
Copyright © 1991 by John Grisham
Copyright by John Doe 1988
© by Jane Doe, 1999

I want to use this original publication year to get my books sorted by author and then by original publication year, because I like to read books from an author in the order they were published, which is most likely the order in which they were written. So I organise by author, then by publication year, then by series number or title.

Could you please let me know if this is possible for you?

Thanks in advance.
I'd second this. It's a fun idea. I'd love to get all my books updated with the publication date. We a

I did recently find a setting in Calibre's metadata gathering preferences that helps, something to the effect of "use original publication date when possible". With that setting activated, I seem to get the original publication date more often than in the past, though it's not perfect.

Last edited by usuallee; 03-15-2013 at 01:59 PM.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #434
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
Highlight, Annotate and Sync from iDevice / iPad ?

I know iBooks does highlight and provide basic notes / annotation abilities for ePub.

I'd like to be able to sync/ maintain them -
crashnburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #435
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
Highlight, Annotate and Sync from iDevice / iPad ?

I know iBooks does highlight and provide basic notes / annotation abilities for ePub.

I'd like to be able to sync/ maintain them -
The Annotations plugin fetches highlights and notes from Marvin, an ios ePub reader.
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chatbot, epub fix, epub-fix, google books, metadata calibre title, pdf, pdf and calibre, plugin development