Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-05-2012, 01:12 AM   #16
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
How about reading the freebies via the Kindle Cloud Reader? You don't have to install anything, just read it within your browser.
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:25 AM   #17
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
When I had the Amazon Cloud ALL it did was put ALL my Audio files in it! Right oof my computer! Then Scrambled them UGH I ended up deleating It! So I am not sure how that would work....
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:35 AM   #18
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
I'm not talking about the Kindle cloud, just the Kindle Cloud Reader (https://read.amazon.com/)

Click on that link, and you'll have access to all the Kindle books you've bought.
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:02 AM   #19
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Yah, Cloud Reader if you use Amazon.com is fine. Not afaik available for UK or FR.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:49 AM   #20
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Well looks like OP has to have some link to Amazon to get the ebooks...even to move them to calibre.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:50 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Yah, Cloud Reader if you use Amazon.com is fine. Not afaik available for UK or FR.
That's right. Neither the Amazon Cloud nor the Cloud Reader is available outside the US (or perhaps outside "amazon.com", I don't know which).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:31 AM   #22
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I bowed to necessity, but I resent it. It is free, but it takes up space in my computer for (what is essentially) their storefront, makes (yet another) redundant folder for itself in My Documents, communicates without necessarily asking me first, etc., etc.

Don't mind my griping. I had a lousy sleep last night.

I bowed halfway to necessity and just bought a darned kindle when my 'free books' purchased were piling up, and I didn't want to buy a Windows computer (We're Linux folk) for only one purpose, so I split the difference and just bought a Kindle. I was sort of needing to buy a new e-reader anyway, as I wanted to give my T1 to my daughter and happened to have a bit of money to do so. (but not enough for another T1) But not everyone has that occasion to 'just do it' or a close family member to share with.

I didn't want to be stuck reading on their cloud reader app, so I had to make the choice. Turned out my daughter really loves her T1, and the many language dictionaries (she has a massive collection of printed dictionaries), and the little drawing app on it (which I had completely forgotten about as I only ever read books on it), as well as the hundreds of MR, Smashwords, and Gutenberg freebies I had stuck on it for her. Things which I had taken for granted were Golden for her.

Last edited by spindlegirl; 09-05-2012 at 05:56 AM.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:34 AM   #23
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's right. Neither the Amazon Cloud nor the Cloud Reader is available outside the US (or perhaps outside "amazon.com", I don't know which).
The cloud reader is available in Canada. I just don't like it as a reader.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:47 AM   #24
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
You need the Kindle for PC or what even your computer is to recieve Any Amazon eBook! Then you need Calibre to Strip DRM to change the Formate!
Just for the record: calibre does not strip DRM and has no DRM removal capabilities.

Anyone using calibre to strip DRM is doing so with a third-party plugin for calibre that is not written by, supported by, or in any way connected with the calibre developers.

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-05-2012 at 06:10 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:04 AM   #25
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
As I said I have Kindle for PC on my computer. I did not say I use it to read Amazon Titles.
I convert them and use my reader. I do not like to read books on my computer. It is not comfortable. I find my other chairs and my bed much more conducive to comfortable reading.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:17 AM   #26
spindlegirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
As I said I have Kindle for PC on my computer. I did not say I use it to read Amazon Titles.
I convert them and use my reader. I do not like to read books on my computer. It is not comfortable. I find my other chairs and my bed much more conducive to comfortable reading.
Apache
I completely agree. I also found the interface of the cloud reader inferior to all other readers, aside from the fact that I don't like reading on a computer screen (much). Reading a forum is different as it requires a different attention/focus span.

I also like to have my books be well, my books, all in one place to refer to, regardless of where I bought them. To have to log into Kobo, then Sony, then Amazon, then Smashwords, etc, to see if I "already bought the book" is just nonsense. At least with physical books I just glance at my bookshelf.

When I bought my Kindle and set my books free to join the rest of my books on calibre, i was not terribly surprised to find that I had a few dozen duplicates that i had already downloaded for free from other stores that were offering them (Smashwords, etc).

The lure of getting all these freebies eventually hooked me to getting the actual Kindle (and I do feel like i "caved in" in order to get my books), but seriously, I am glad they were freebies. I wouldn't have tolerated this type of nonsense had I paid for a book.

When I pay for something, I expect it to be extractable for just me to read whenever and above all wherever, I please. Not have it glued to my account on a computer.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:53 AM   #27
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Stupid question but if I download Kindle for PC and get all the freebies how do I locate them on my linux system to load them on to calibre? I use linux mint.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:03 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
They'll be in the "My Documents\My Kindle Content" folder in Windows.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:39 AM   #29
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Depends on how you run Kindle for PC on your Linux system -- since they don't, as far as I know, offer a Linux version.

On my Ubuntu 10.04 LTS netbook I run it under Wine -- not easy, but you can set it up with a little effort. In my case the Kindle books are located in

$HOME/Documents/My Kindle Content

Whether you run the Linux version of Calibre or the Windows version under Wine, navigating to the Kindle books is very straight forward.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:26 AM   #30
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Whether you run the Linux version of Calibre or the Windows version under Wine, navigating to the Kindle books is very straight forward.
Those running calibre under Linux and Kindle for PC under Wine should check out recent comments at Alf's blog. It seems there's an updated plugin being tested for exactly that situation.

Thankfully I'm on a Mac and don't have to worry about such things.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote