Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #376
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
I'm using the modified homescreen on a non-rooted T1 mainly for the "Recently Read" option. I've customized the launch icons for screens 1 & 2 back to the defaults with a couple of tweaks. I'd like to take advantage of the third screen by loading one or two apps. Is it possible on a non-rooted T1 to load additional APKs, perhaps with a variation of the script that Morkl uses to load the modified home screen and modified reader? I've searched and searched for any instructions, but haven't found anything for un-rooted T1's.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #377
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Magnificent post Jackie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
General notes:
  1. I'm not 100% sure of my facts here but I believe if you are going to customise any fonts you need to create all 7 css files and put references to all 7 (default + 6 others) in the reader.xml file. I don't know if there are dire consequences if you list less/more than 7 in the reader.xml file. If someone knows different, I'll update this post.
To quote from Morkl's readme:
Quote:
Number of custom styles should always be 6 (+ a "default" style that is imported before any style specific ones); expect nasal daemons otherwise.
I'm not game to try other than 6, but Morkl's warning is good enough for me .

Cheers,
Simon.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #378
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
I'm not game to try other than 6, but Morkl's warning is good enough for me
Me, too! I thought I'd read a warning somewhere but couldn't remember where or who. I'll edit the post to be more definite.

Thanks, snarkophilus
Old 07-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #379
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does the default CSS override the CSS or does the CSS override the default CSS. This is in the modified reader app.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #380
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does the default CSS override the CSS or does the CSS override the default CSS. This is in the modified reader app.
From what I see, I'd say epub's own css overlaid by Morkl default.css which in turn is overlaid by Morkl selected 1-of-6 named css...

... I say overlaid, rather than overridden, because anything in the epub css which is not mentioned in the Morkl css files should remain in force, as would be expected from the normal cascading manner of css.

e.g. if your <h1> headings are specifically styled as bold, sans-serif and centered in the raw epub. They should still display as bold, sans-serif and centered in the Morkl reader app, unless your default.css or 1-6 named css contains a specific override for h1.

Edit: I'm quite happy to be proved wrong

Last edited by jackie_w; 07-18-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #381
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
From what I see, I'd say epub's own css overlaid by Morkl default.css which in turn is overlaid by Morkl selected 1-of-6 named css...

... I say overlaid, rather than overridden, because anything in the epub css which is not mentioned in the Morkl css files should remain in force, as would be expected from the normal cascading manner of css.

e.g. if your <h1> headings are specifically styled as bold, sans-serif and centered in the raw epub. They should still display as bold, sans-serif and centered in the Morkl reader app, unless your default.css or 1-6 named css contains a specific override for h1.

Edit: I'm quite happy to be proved wrong
Thanks. It is good to know that the modified reader's CSS is the overriding CSS. I'll have to play around a bit with the default CSS to change a few things here and there to work better without modifying the ePub.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:29 AM   #382
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
I wish there was a way to edit the books while you read it... but I still not stumbled into an android epub editor.. imagine..you read a book and there is something wrong..and you can edit that mistake while reading in stead of marking it and do it with your computer with sigil the next day... keep on dreaming.. ( for sure there is no DRM on my books.. ) if that could be implemented in the start screen I would pay big money for it
Or just a sigil look a like android editor would be a heaven..

You must root the device for your start screen ?? ( just to be shure that I don't have a bricked one when I don't ? )

Last edited by Nick_1964; 07-19-2012 at 03:40 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #383
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
You must root the device for your start screen ?? ( just to be shure that I don't have a bricked one when I don't ? )
No, you don't have to root to load the modified home screen, but the value is a little limited if you don't: you get "Recently read" instead of "Recently added" and you can customize all the shortcut buttons on page 1 and 2 (and get 4 more on page 3).
Old 07-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #384
Rheingold
Rheingold began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1
Hi all,

first I have to thank for the superb reader modifications and I use Morkls reader without problems on a non rooted T1.
But for any case I wonder what I have to do, when I want to go back to the original reader? Just delete the akp in the updates/system/app folder or must I do a restore flash or something else?
Old 07-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #385
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheingold View Post
Hi all,

first I have to thank for the superb reader modifications and I use Morkls reader without problems on a non rooted T1.
But for any case I wonder what I have to do, when I want to go back to the original reader? Just delete the akp in the updates/system/app folder or must I do a restore flash or something else?
The latter, I think.

I have a never-rooted PRST1 and have had reason to use Boroda/Porkupan's "Rescue Set 1.0.04.12210" occasionally. It's on the Russian ebook site in a thread called PRS-T1 - Root, Russification and applications for Android (boroda) which translates well enough into English with Google Translate.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #386
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The latter, I think.

I have a never-rooted PRST1 and have had reason to use Boroda/Porkupan's "Rescue Set 1.0.04.12210" occasionally. It's on the Russian ebook site in a thread called PRS-T1 - Root, Russification and applications for Android (boroda) which translates well enough into English with Google Translate.
Would you mind please posting clear (in English) directions to use the Rescue Set? Thanks.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #387
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

My wi-fi connection is down at the moment, so having to use phone. Not easy to type instructions this way. Will do it when connection back.

In short it's pretty much same as installing Morkl reader app on unrooted T1, but takes a bit longer to run. Need to fully charge before starting.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #388
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
My wi-fi connection is down at the moment, so having to use phone. Not easy to type instructions this way. Will do it when connection back.

In short it's pretty much same as installing Morkl reader app on unrooted T1, but takes a bit longer to run. Need to fully charge before starting.
Easy is good. I can wait for the directions. Thanks. I have no need to do this. But it will be good to be able to know how to do it in case.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #389
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheingold View Post
You may be able to get away with just removing the APK file. This is what you do to remove unwanted system apps as described in our PRS T1 rooting wiki. Be sure and let us know if that works if you try it

You should also be able to remove the modified reader without reflashing or anything drastic if you can get to the Android system settings. Note that the normal "Settings" you see on the reader is the Sony application settings, not the Android system settings. You can use Morkl's home screen mod to get to the system settings (I'm not sure if there's a way of doing this from the stock home screen). Here's the steps based on using Morkl's home screen:
  1. Make sure you have app_syssettings as one of the entries in your homemod/homemod.xml file on your reader. Easiest to probably to change the app_setting to app_syssetting on line 15 of the default homemod.xml
  2. Select: System Settings
  3. Select the com.android.settings entry if you get a choice here
  4. Select: Applications
  5. Select: Manage Applications
  6. Select: Downloaded
  7. Scroll down to "Reader"
  8. Select: Uninstall updates

Please note that I haven't fully tested the above - I didn't actually do the final step as I didn't want remove the modified Reader .

The above steps should also work to remove Morkl's home screen mod as well by choosing "Home" in the applications list. Again, untested...

Cheers,
Simon.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #390
hwlester
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
You may be able to get away with just removing the APK file. This is what you do to remove unwanted system apps as described in our PRS T1 rooting wiki. Be sure and let us know if that works if you try it

You should also be able to remove the modified reader without reflashing or anything drastic if you can get to the Android system settings. Note that the normal "Settings" you see on the reader is the Sony application settings, not the Android system settings. You can use Morkl's home screen mod to get to the system settings (I'm not sure if there's a way of doing this from the stock home screen). Here's the steps based on using Morkl's home screen:
  1. Make sure you have app_syssettings as one of the entries in your homemod/homemod.xml file on your reader. Easiest to probably to change the app_setting to app_syssetting on line 15 of the default homemod.xml
  2. Select: System Settings
  3. Select the com.android.settings entry if you get a choice here
  4. Select: Applications
  5. Select: Manage Applications
  6. Select: Downloaded
  7. Scroll down to "Reader"
  8. Select: Uninstall updates

Please note that I haven't fully tested the above - I didn't actually do the final step as I didn't want remove the modified Reader .

The above steps should also work to remove Morkl's home screen mod as well by choosing "Home" in the applications list. Again, untested...

Cheers,
Simon.
Thank you for this explanation. I "customized" mine mostly back to the standard home screens and removed "app_syssettings" in favor of "app_settings". I didn't realize that System Settings was the Android settings menu. I've just added System Settings back and it answers one question I had about how to remove apps without rooting (and may answer how to add apps without rooting).
Closed Thread