Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Should We Be Able To Resell Our Ebooks? (First Sale Rights)
Yes 93 73.23%
No 34 26.77%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Ebook Reselling -Yea or Nay-

Greetings,

I've been thinking about first sale rights of ebooks lately.

Laws are written to serve us, when they no longer do, it is time to discard those laws.

To make a long story short, do you think it's ok for someone, to resell ebooks they've purchased to another, as long as the sale deletes the original copy from the sellers device?

Last edited by Giggleton; 03-12-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Greetings,

I've been thinking about first sale rights of ebooks lately.

Laws are written to serve us, when they no longer do, it is time to discard those laws.

To make a long story short, do you think it's ok for someone, to resell ebooks they've purchased to another, as long as the sale deletes the original copy from the sellers device?

How do you confirm that?
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
Here in the UK charity shops do a roaring trade in donated books, this is a market that they are due to lose completely in the 'new' digital age as we no longer buy/hold/own even the copy we have paid for. Under licensing agreements we are simply paying for the right to read the book, not to have a product. Makes you wonder why ebooks are so expensive if we are simply renting them doesn't it?
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I would never buy a used copy, because I really like that new-ebook smell.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHARKAVY View Post
How do you confirm that?
The system would delete the ebook from the device when it is sold.

We will never be able to confirm that the seller did not place some kind of intermediary device between their device and the purchasers device, allowing the seller to retain the book after it is sold.

The fact that the capability to retain a sold copy exists does not mean that we should abandon millennia old notions of property.

I am currently capable of printing out exact copies of mass market paperbacks from my home, does this mean that your store bought paperbacks should not have first sale rights as well?

Old 03-12-2011, 10:50 PM   #6
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
I am currently capable of printing out exact copies of mass market paperbacks from my home
I am skeptical of this.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:55 AM   #7
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Not really sure how to respond to this as my answer is conditional.

I believe (or at least strongly suspect) that technological constraints will eventually force the ebook publishing market to adopt the licensing model model used by software (as they are half-heartedly trying to do now). If that push develops, and I expect it will, then the response is Nay - no reselling (the idea of a "second-hand" digital object is almost a contradiction in terms).

However if some means is found to sell a "copy" of a work in an electronic equivalent form of a book (can't see it happening, but I'm no oracle), then my answer would be yea.

At the moment ebook publishing seems to be positioned half-way between the two systems, trying to sell as if selling a book but trying to license as if software; trying to have their cake and eat it too. Of course part of their problem will be educating a very broad mix of consumers, whichever approach they take.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:11 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
No.

Not because I'm opposed to the selling of an ebook, but because the system that ensured only one incarnation of that file existed at any given time would be a nightmare of hellish proportions that would make the current DRM schemes seem like rainbows and lollipops by comparison.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:41 AM   #9
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
I agree that it may be hard, but certainly not impossible to ensure that only one copy of a book is used.

How about, and this is just off the top of my head, a card or chip is posted to the buyers address with a copy of the book, or a release key as well as the download? Not hard to implement, and not expensive. Certainly cheaper than printing and delivery a paper book. This key/card/code could then be sold in in the future (or indeed passed on to charity, friends, co-workers). In the event of this being a release key it could also be time bombed for only x amount of downloads (a little like Harper Collins are offering as a solution to library lending)
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:52 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
How about, and this is just off the top of my head, a card or chip is posted to the buyers address with a copy of the book, or a release key as well as the download? Not hard to implement, and not expensive.
I think I just died a little bit on the inside.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:01 AM   #11
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

a simple license transfer feature by the store, content provider or publisher would be the best option to enable reselling of ebooks.

In it's simplest terms all that would need be done is for the person selling the book be given the ability to transfer ownership of the license to another account, within the same store/website. No sharing of accounts etc would be needed. I also would completely agree there should be a limit to the number of transfers per license should be part of the deal.

Publishers have zero motivation to add this ability because they have buffaloed the public to ignore that ebooks grant access to the much coveted used book buyers segment of the market. That is if the prices are competitive with used prices plus a small amount for the convenience of ebooks.

As it sits currently on the Kindle it is OK to resell your content with the reader to which it was downloaded or sent via Whispernet. At least that was the last time I read about it. Even then there was doubt it was OK unless the seller made sure to delete the titles from their account. But deleting them from an account means the titles are no longer tracked as the copies don't belong to any Amazon account.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:05 AM   #12
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid View Post
a simple license transfer feature by the store, content provider or publisher would be the best option to enable reselling of ebooks.

In it's simplest terms all that would need be done is for the person selling the book be given the ability to transfer ownership of the license to another account, within the same store/website. No sharing of accounts etc would be needed. I also would completely agree there should be a limit to the number of transfers per license should be part of the deal.

Publishers have zero motivation to add this ability because they have buffaloed the public to ignore that ebooks grant access to the much coveted used book buyers segment of the market. That is if the prices are competitive with used prices plus a small amount for the convenience of ebooks.

As it sits currently on the Kindle it is OK to resell your content with the reader to which it was downloaded or sent via Whispernet. At least that was the last time I read about it. Even then there was doubt it was OK unless the seller made sure to delete the titles from their account. But deleting them from an account means the titles are no longer tracked as the copies don't belong to any Amazon account.
I'm pretty sure Amazon reversed their policy on that. Actually I'm not sure it was ever an official policy that it was okay. I did send Amazon an email for clarification about a year ago and received back a canned response saying that if I sold a Kindle all books should be removed from it.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #13
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I'm pretty sure Amazon reversed their policy on that. Actually I'm not sure it was ever an official policy that it was okay. I did send Amazon an email for clarification about a year ago and received back a canned response saying that if I sold a Kindle all books should be removed from it.
that seems right but I wasn't 100% sure so I hedged, thanks!!
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #14
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
I don't see anything ethically wrong with selling a "used" ebook, but what would be the point? My used paperbacks never fetched much, and my main motivation in selling them was to clear out space for new ones. With ebooks that's no longer a consideration.

I suppose that if the Agency 5 (now 6) continue to jack up prices, I might become interested in the idea of *buying* used ebooks...but I agree with DiapDealer about the nightmare that would ensue if the process were regulated via DRM.

Last edited by wayrad; 03-13-2011 at 09:40 AM. Reason: typo
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:57 AM   #15
Giggleton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
I don't see anything ethically wrong with selling a "used" ebook, but what would be the point? My used paperbacks never fetched much, and my main motivation in selling them was to clear out space for new ones. With ebooks that's no longer a consideration.

I suppose that if the Agency 5 (now 6) continue to jack up prices, I might become interested in the idea of *buying* used ebooks...but I agree with DiapDealer about the nightmare that would ensue if the process were regulated via DRM.
I am interested in selling my ebooks at a price of zero.