Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
readmorenow
readmorenow has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Bebook
Kindle books in epub format??

Hi everybody longtime lurker, first time poster.

Just noticed something interesting while searching the Australian catalog of the kindle book store.

All the Jim Butchers books that are available have "(epub)" next to them, for example "Captain's Fury (epub) (Kindle Edition)".

Is it a mistake or is Amazon gonna start changing to epub in the near future.

edit: i don't have a kindle so can't purchase any of the books to check if they are in the epub format.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Safari.png
Views:	521
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	38072  

Last edited by readmorenow; 10-26-2009 at 09:42 AM. Reason: more info
readmorenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I looked for myself and none of the books had that epub thing next to them. May have just been a mistake for some odd reason
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
I see the "(epub)" if I change my location to Australia (like the OP). Actually, I see it in all locations but the US and UK.

Curious...

Last edited by tlrowley; 10-26-2009 at 10:10 AM.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
I would also like to know what this means. Can somebody in Australia purchase one of those books and let us know what it is.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Interesting. I wonder if it means they were converted to Kindle from ePub (though I'm not sure why they would have to identify that if it's true).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 10:36 AM   #6
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
I would also like to know what this means. Can somebody in Australia purchase one of those books and let us know what it is.
I am sure that one of our friends from down under can purchase a book for the test
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:43 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Can somebody in Australia purchase one of those books and let us know what it is.
Or just download the sample and see what the filename extension is.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:59 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Sorry it took me so long.

I switched my country to Oz, and saw the ebooks labeled epub. When I switched back, they were not labeled epub. I bought one while an Australian and it was an ordinary AZW.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:57 AM   #9
Adamastorx
Connoisseur
Adamastorx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
I saw it too

I'm in Spain and I saw, for instance, "Eclipse" by Stephenie Meyer in epub format. I don't have my Kindle yet, but I've downloaded the sample and got this file: eclipse-epub.azw.
Adamastorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:54 AM   #10
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamastorx View Post
I'm in Spain and I saw, for instance, "Eclipse" by Stephenie Meyer in epub format. I don't have my Kindle yet, but I've downloaded the sample and got this file: eclipse-epub.azw.
Would this mean that the epub version was licensed/copyrighted/whatever for Spain and Amazon converted it to .azw to sell to its new international customers? And would need publisher approval?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:29 PM   #11
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It does not make sense. The format of the source used for generating Kindle mobi/azw is not (or should not be) relevant. So, why have this weird tag "epub" if it is not epub? A way to mislead folks who have heard about epub but do not have a clue what it is? Just a search anchor for those searching for epub editions?

Last edited by osnova; 10-27-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:19 PM   #12
Adamastorx
Connoisseur
Adamastorx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
Quote:
It does not make sense. The format of the source used for generating Kindle mobi/azw is not (or should not be) relevant. So, why have this weird tag "epub" if it is not epub? A way to mislead folks who have heard about epub but do not have a clue what it is? Just a search anchor for those searching for epub editions?
No, it doesn't. Maybe they're planning to open to new formats or... I don't know, it seems to me that all this "go international" move is rushed and there's a big deal of improvisation and it's strange coming from a big company like Amazon...
Adamastorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:33 AM   #13
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Or maybe there was an epub edition already available - and instead of Amazon scanning it in themselves into hideous Topaz format - they finally learned how to convert epub to mobi? Dare to dream!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:07 PM   #14
veeboo
veeboo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Just read on another thread that epub=european publication!
veeboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #15
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeboo View Post
Just read on another thread that epub=european publication!
ROFL. This is hilarious.