Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #46
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbo View Post
I afraid this wouldn't work, only black and white screen update is reasonably fast.
Really? That's a pity. I didn't know that.
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #47
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Lumi
@tuxor: Don't know whether the issue is still open, but later on I found out that build creates some configuration files in the build/... subdirectories that were not always updated. So deleting the respective subdirectory solved the issue for me.

Moreover I noticed that dependency handling seems to be a sensitive issue on amd_64 machines... e.g. the libz issue just disappeared in a 32bit Ubuntu lucid environment (without applied patches - which are required for the 64bit lucid).
I'd therefore suggest developing in a 32bit virtual machine (I grabbed the one Nokia offered for N900 development, which I also used for the Iliad )

W.r.t. the from-scratch-against-onyx-scribble discussion: An advantage to modifying that one would be that the extensions would be available for PDF annotations as well (e.g., I dearly miss different colors :P).
But I can also understand why one would rather want to write things from scratch than patch undocumented code .

Cheers!
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #48
por
Groupie
por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: ONYX M96
First of all many thx to peterx for his work on new applications for the M92.

I think an option to save the drawings manually would be very useful instead of the saving every 5 sec because every 5 sec my device freezes for a moment and interrupts the process of sketching (after the freeze the drawings made during the freeze are not displayed correctly).

Thx a million for your efforts again
por is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:09 AM   #49
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Maybe the best would be to make saving the data configurable. The best would be to be able to choose the interval for autosaving + no autosaving option. The second best would be to to switch between two modes - 5 sec autosaving and no autosaving.

If one draws then autosaving every 10-20 sec might be OK. If you write in real time, the saving should be manual or when it seems, there is some spare time.

Also writing could be in queue and done in small batches, when there is time. And imediately stop saving, if pen starts write again.

I know it is more complicated, but it should work satisfactory. Also the saving could be done in its own thread with low priority, if it is possible.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #50
initx
Enthusiast
initx began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Nokia Lumia 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
If I was you I would focus on improving the PDF reader . M92 is not intended for sketching
Negative. I use M92 for sketching. It perfectly replaces any paper.
initx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #51
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Define sketching
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #52
initx
Enthusiast
initx began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Nokia Lumia 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Define sketching
I am working as a strategy expert in the telecom industry. Working on business models, marketing strategy, asset management and similar things. Working mostly in Excel and in PPT.

So what I do with my M92:
- Using as a notepad on meetings (taking notes, drawing graphs etc.)
- Drawing drafts of PPT slides, graphs, graphical models, and discussing it with my colleagues, making notes and corrections on the draft
- Planning a PPT structure: I had been done on paper before, now on the M92. I split the "paper" (screen) to 8 parts (1 vertical and 3 horizontal lines) and draw small slides with the pen - to overview what will be the structure and content of the presentation.
- Recently I discovered how comfortable is to write a text with the pen for a lecture. So now I returned back to the "middle ages" and write the text of my lectures on the M92. And also use the M92 during the lecture to read my notes. Though, I can type blindly on a laptop's keyboard VERY fast. But, writing a lecture is very good on the M92: I have time to think, to say the words out loud before writing, and somehow to return to a very ergonomic and natural way of writing.
- Before joining a meeting, I always transfer the PPT-s of the meeting to the M92, and follow the lecture on the M92. I make notes on the slides with the M92.

All in all, I use my M92 as a productivity tool very heavily. A good OCR would be really great in the future, so that it can fully recognize my handwriting and thus I could minimize typing on a keyboard.
initx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:28 AM   #53
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by initx View Post
I am working as a strategy expert in the telecom industry. Working on business models, marketing strategy, asset management and similar things. Working mostly in Excel and in PPT.

- Drawing drafts of PPT slides, graphs, graphical models, and discussing it with my colleagues, making notes and corrections on the draft
- Planning a PPT structure: I had been done on paper before, now on the M92. I split the "paper" (screen) to 8 parts (1 vertical and 3 horizontal lines) and draw small slides with the pen - to overview what will be the structure and content of the presentation.
- Recently I discovered how comfortable is to write a text with the pen for a lecture. So now I returned back to the "middle ages" and write the text of my lectures on the M92. And also use the M92 during the lecture to read my notes. Though, I can type blindly on a laptop's keyboard VERY fast. But, writing a lecture is very good on the M92: I have time to think, to say the words out loud before writing, and somehow to return to a very ergonomic and natural way of writing.
- Before joining a meeting, I always transfer the PPT-s of the meeting to the M92, and follow the lecture on the M92. I make notes on the slides with the M92.

All in all, I use my M92 as a productivity tool very heavily. A good OCR would be really great in the future, so that it can fully recognize my handwriting and thus I could minimize typing on a keyboard.
If scribbling/sketching is the main application of your workflow: there are much better solutions, including OCR - for which you would need a more powerful cpu.
Organizing the notes/scribbles ist not exactly well development, a lot of workaround necessary ...
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #54
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by initx View Post

I use my Asus Eee Note very similarly. However, I am very impressed with e-ink screens (my Asus has LCD) and I am thinking of buying an M92. Could initx (or anyone else) help me out by answering some questions please:
1. Is it possible to rename the scribble files (not possible on my wife's Boox X60)?
2. Is it possible to search for a scribble file by file name?
2. b. If yes, does the search work with partial filenames, e.g. search for "app" will find the file named "apple"?
3. Is it possible to export the scribbles to a pc?
4. Is it possible to upload scribbles to the web (e.g. upload to Evernote or Google)?
5. If you want to scribble on ppt slides for example, do you need to print them into pdf first, or can it display the ppt natively, and you can scribble on it directly?
6. Any other comments - would you recommend using the M92 as an office tool?

Many thanks in advance!
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #55
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

I know only Onyx Scrible App. There is also one made by M92 user...

Onyx Scrible App
1. No
2. No - (names are fixed, you cannot change the order)
3. Yes, but only the last page (there is tool made by user to convert the multipage scribles)
5. ppt->pdf first.
6. Wait for 1.7 firmware release, many things might change/improve.

There is a workaround. You may make scribles to pdf. Make long blank pdf. You can name it as you like. Have it in folder structure. Searching (even partial - for part of name) is possible (within a folder), and it is possible to sort in alfabetic order, access time, size and type. Scribles are joined to pdf and it can be exported to PC. I didnt try it, but others say it is not possible to print it in Win, in Linux only using XJournal.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:51 AM   #56
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
3. Yes, but only the last page (there is tool made by user to convert the multipage scribles)

I didnt try it, but others say it is not possible to print it in Win, in Linux only using XJournal.
w.r.t. 3: Oh! I believed it were always the _current_ page to be exported... not just the last... that looks like a bug!
If you're referring to another tool but peter-x's SVG export, could you please link it in the software wiki? I'm not aware of it, but it might be nice

w.r.t. printing: I wouldn't dare say it's impossible in Windows - just that I didn't find a tool doing it (I'm willing to believe that the top Adobe product and some other commercial ones will work, but I didn't care to buy them as a Linux user )

Someone might still check (and report) whether xournal works in Windows using Cygwin (somebody reported that the native Win32 binary won't flatten the document either).

Cheers.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:14 AM   #57
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodomo View Post
w.r.t. printing: I wouldn't dare say it's impossible in Windows - just that I didn't find a tool doing it (I'm willing to believe that the top Adobe product and some other commercial ones will work, but I didn't care to buy them as a Linux user )

Someone might still check (and report) whether xournal works in Windows using Cygwin (somebody reported that the native Win32 binary won't flatten the document either).

Cheers.
BTW, Concerning printing I'm wondering if anyone tried installing a virtual pdf printer in Win to first print the merged pdf as a pdf file and then actually print the resulting pdf on a regular printer? I know there are many third party pdf printers around and they can do things, but I don't have Windows installed to check that.
janek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:57 AM   #58
Mono
Mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by janek View Post
BTW, Concerning printing I'm wondering if anyone tried installing a virtual pdf printer in Win to first print the merged pdf as a pdf file and then actually print the resulting pdf on a regular printer?
I just tried. No success. To my opinion, there is no difference printing to virtual pdf printer and normal printer. The application is either able to print it or not.

The best might be, if Onyx tells us which Win app. is able to print it. Freeware would be nice.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:56 AM   #59
kodomo
M92 info archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
I just tried. No success. To my opinion, there is no difference printing to virtual pdf printer and normal printer. The application is either able to print it or not.

The best might be, if Onyx tells us which Win app. is able to print it. Freeware would be nice.
It feels odd to have something non-geeky working in Linux, which doesn't work for Windows... and I almost feel compelled to apologize

If you look for problems 'flattening' annotated PDFs, you'll likely find a few folks mentioning that it should work with the commercial version of
PDFXChange (the free version I tried however does not)...

Last edited by kodomo; 03-28-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #60
Mono
Mono

Thanks! It works in PDFXChange Viewer (free).
http://www.tracker-software.com/prod...xchange-viewer

It is possible to flatten pdf in free version and than print it (or print it to virtual pdf printer, if you want to have it in pdf). If you save flattened pdf, DEMO watermark is inserted. If you print it (to printer or pdf) before saving, there is no watermark.