Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 04-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #16
MikeGolf
Connoisseur
MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire
If the cord is loose or there is a power surge, the system would think that you plugged it in while the power was off. In essence it would power itself back on.
MikeGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #17
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGolf View Post
If the cord is loose or there is a power surge, the system would think that you plugged it in while the power was off. In essence it would power itself back on.
Well, I just put it to bed for the night when I got the low battery beep. It is plugged in and it is OFF. I am sure. I'll report back in the morning.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:08 AM   #18
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It did not turn itself on this time. Still off but fully charged when I checked it in the middle of the night.

I suppose it's possible that we had a power surge the other night, or that the cat jerked the cord. (There is a lot of play in the connection of this charger. It is definitely a poor fit.) In any case, no mysteries to solve today.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #19
jsh1120
Connoisseur
jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
I suppose it's possible that we had a power surge the other night, or that the cat jerked the cord. (There is a lot of play in the connection of this charger. It is definitely a poor fit.) In any case, no mysteries to solve today.
Ahh...a cat. Had you mentioned a cat it would have been no mystery at all. Their purpose in life is to create mysteries for humans.
jsh1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #20
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
Ahh...a cat. Had you mentioned a cat it would have been no mystery at all. Their purpose in life is to create mysteries for humans.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #21
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire, K2
Trying the method listed by jsh1120 because my battery life has been abysmal since the 6.3 update. Don't tell me it's my imagination, when it's on I'm horrified by the countdown second by second. It's driving me nuts and I might be calling Amazon and asking for a replacement. It's absolutely dreadful.
beej231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #22
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Well, I tried this method with no luck. With BABM I literally watch the charge drop by 1/second. I'm going to fiddle a little longer and contact Amazon. I remember that prior to 6.3 (which I was soooo anxious to have) I was actually quite please with battery life. Very irritating.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #23
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
One thing about Li-Po batteries (and some others)

Once the device turns off due to low battery Leave It Off
Then charge it fully. If you try to squeeze out more time you
discharge it to far and cause permanent damage to the battery.
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:16 AM   #24
jsh1120
Connoisseur
jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by beej231 View Post
Well, I tried this method with no luck. With BABM I literally watch the charge drop by 1/second. I'm going to fiddle a little longer and contact Amazon. I remember that prior to 6.3 (which I was soooo anxious to have) I was actually quite please with battery life. Very irritating.
Sorry to hear you're still having problems. This may be a stupid question, but have you confirmed that the battery will only last for a few minutes before draining completely from a full charge? (That's what your comment above would suggest.) If so, you clearly have a bad battery and not simply a problem with the battery monitor.

What does the BABM indicate is the source of the battery discharge?

Last edited by jsh1120; 04-27-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #25
beej231
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
Sorry to hear you're still having problems. This may be a stupid question, but have you confirmed that the battery will only last for a few minutes before draining completely from a full charge? (That's what your comment above would suggest.) If so, you clearly have a bad battery and not simply a problem with the battery monitor.

What does the BABM indicate is the source of the battery discharge?
I have not kept it on long enough to see if the charge runs out in a few hours but will do. I just uninstalled BABM because I found that the best thing for me is to not be looking at that number all the time.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #26
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
BABM Screen Time

Quote:
I have not kept it on long enough to see if the charge runs out in a few hours but will do. I just uninstalled BABM because I found that the best thing for me is to not be looking at that number all the time.
If you go to the main BABM Table, you will see a number called "Screen" time. Note that number before you do a full charge. That is the actual hours and minutes the last full charge lasted.

Mine is usually 5:30 (hours:minutes) or near to that amount. When I go to a Bible Study, I sometimes get only 4:49 since I am constantly using touches to change Bible verse locations in my Tecarta Bibles. I leave WiFi on all the time and charge between 10% and 20% remaining charge. I have noticed WiFi uses much less juice compared to Screen since the 6.3 upgrade. WiFi use used to match Screen use but now its only 80% of screen use.

That Screen time number has not varied substantially after the installation of firmware version 6.3 from before it.

Make sure your BABM Preferences say to measure from last full charge.

If you are getting a lot less battery time, then your battery may be defective and you should call Amazon CS for a replacement.

Last edited by sirmaru; 04-27-2012 at 07:29 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #27
jsh1120
Connoisseur

Quote:
I have a feeling you may be on the right track, especially if you've been extrapolating overall battery use from a short time sample. i.e. It has used 10% of the battery in 10 minutes so that means the battery will only last for 100 minutes.

The discharge rate is simply not linear and its non-linear character is exaggerated if the discharge profile is faulty.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #28
InjuredSongfest
InjuredSongfest began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen, rooted)
Since this thread is still the first result listed on a Google search for "Kindle Fire battery fix", I'm going to assume there are still folks out there who are experiencing similar problems and looking for a solution, especially those who own a first generation KF which has fallen out of the warranty period.

After MANY attempts to fix the issue using the steps provided by the OP, I eventually gave up. Months later, I returned to my no-longer-under-warranty KF with an idea to approach the problem from a different angle; I would attempt physically open up the device and see what I could find.

Right away, I could see the battery's connector cable had loosened on one end. I re-seated the connector, snapped the cover back on, plugged it in, and left it to sit.

VOILA! The problem was solved... or so it seemed. It worked flawlessly until the next day when that little question mark over the battery indicator returned and the device shut off as soon as the charging cable was removed.

I immediately opened it back up and found that the battery itself had slipped away from the motherboard, disconnecting itself. Two minutes, a pair of scissors, and some foam-rubber sticky-grips later, it was FINALLY FIXED (hopefully for good this time).

I would not recommend anyone attempt this while their KF is under warranty, but otherwise there are plenty of great guides out there on how to remove the rear cover. Make sure you know what you're doing, then have at it!

Hope this helps
InjuredSongfest is offline   Reply With Quote