Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
bazmi
Enthusiast
bazmi began at the beginning.

Device: irex dr 1000s, sony prs 700, 505, iliad BE. N800, SL6000, SL3200...
multiple page turns when pressing flipbar

am having a problem when reading books. quite often the page advances by 5 upon every press of the flipbar. have tried raising the long keypress duration to 2 second but still the same problem.

is this a known problem or something specific to my iliad?
bazmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:01 PM   #2
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
I don't thik there is anything you can do to solve this problem. I would suggest contact iRex support.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2009, 01:46 AM   #3
bazmi
Enthusiast
bazmi began at the beginning.

Device: irex dr 1000s, sony prs 700, 505, iliad BE. N800, SL6000, SL3200...
thanks. i will.
bazmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
It's a known issue. Usually it only happens sporadically though. Happening "quite often" is a little unusual. It's happened on mine a couple of times, but it hasn't done it to me in a long time.

I've seen several different theories about what causes the problem, but nothing official from iRex about it. Some people have said that tightening the screws on the back of the case helped solve the problem. That would be something easy to try on your own. Just don't over tighten them.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I've had the same issue for some time, too, but only sporadically. It helps a lot if I press the flipbar all the way over and then 'help' it back to middle position by not letting go immediately.

I also tried just a few days ago to make a number of 'long' turns in row - sort of like an exercise, because I don't use the long flip often - that seemed to help, too.

And just to muddle the waters even more. I didn't use the device between Christmas and start of February, and I remember it was nad before Christmas. When I started using it again, the problem had almost disappered. Sort of liek the rest period had helped.

It hasn't been annoying me enough to bother contact iRex. Tightening the screw sounds like it might be worth a try, since I guess it's a contact somewhere that's not working 100% well or something.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
DesiLinguist
Computational Linguist
DesiLinguist doesn't litterDesiLinguist doesn't litter

Device: iLiad BE, iPhone, Kindle DX
I have been having this issue once in a while as well and when it happens, it's a brief annoyance. Ea, I will try your idea of "helping" the flipbar back to the middle position and see if that helps when I have this issue.

Although I love my iLiad, I do wish that they had either:

(1) Used buttons like the Kindle
(2) Provided a user-controlled setting for how long to hold the flipbar for the 5-page turn

Ah, Well
DesiLinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #7
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiLinguist View Post
(2) Provided a user-controlled setting for how long to hold the flipbar for the 5-page turn

Ah, Well
In user settings, on page 2, you can change between some predefined settings for how many seconds to hold it, but I think it's 2 sec. max.

Last edited by Ea; 02-23-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #8
DesiLinguist
Computational Linguist

I have already set that to two seconds but unless I am mistaken, I don't think that particular setting affects the flipbar. It's only for the long button presses etc. Am I mistaken?
Old 02-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #9
Ea
Wizard

You're right, it only says 'keys', so I don't know. I just assumed the flipbar was a 'key' as well. Perhaps there's something in the manual...

Added in edit:
No, it doesn't look like there's anything in the manual. It doesn't state specifically taht the flipbar is a 'key', but doesn't seem to assume either. i think you're right, DesiLinguist.

Last edited by Ea; 02-23-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:36 AM   #10
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
I got the same problem here. I open a ticket to iRex and they answer me to press the flip-bar using a 'strong' pressure. I have to admit that in this way it (seems to?) works better that before. But it's silly to me there is not a option to toggle the 5-page jump. I never use it, and it creates only problems.
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:51 AM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
There's probably a way to disable that feature in the code, now that they've open sourced most of it.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:38 PM   #12
DesiLinguist
Computational Linguist

Well, I changed the flipbar setting so that a flip to the right takes me forward instead of the default left. That makes things better for me at least because for some reason that flip is less prone to accidental "elongations".

I agree with Shaggy's comment though. I am already using jharker's full screen ipdf as my default ipdf reader. Is the source code for this version available so that I can try and make the modification on my own since no one else seems to have done it yet?
Old 02-24-2009, 09:00 PM   #13
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
This is generally accepted to be a problem with the fitting of the flip bar. You should be able to fix this by tightening the torx screws on the back, or change the flip bar direction.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:43 AM   #14
Ea
Wizard

I've tried earlier changing direction of the flipbar. It works, but only temporarily, because ofter some time, it's the same issue, just in the other direction.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:53 AM   #15
DesiLinguist
Computational Linguist

Please see my other thread where I request and (even outline how) that we simply strip out the 5-page turn out of the community ipdf version. I don't think the Mobipocket reader on iLiad is open-source, so we are out of luck there but I mostly read PDFs and this would be very useful for me.