Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-23-2011, 01:09 AM   #1
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Loading after disconnect takes forever

Um, yes, what the thread title says. After loading new books to the 950 with either Calibre or Kobo, I always make sure to eject the reader with the Eject buttons in whichever software I was using at the time. After it's bene ejected/dismounted, then I remove the USB cable. I spend most of my day job telling people why using "safely remove" is vital for not losing your wedding photos, so I'm kind of anal about the eject-thing.

The thing is that every time I do that, it takes several minutes for the loading screen on the 950 (the arrow circle) to go away and the new books become accessible. I get most of my ebooks from Smashwords, but it happens with books from other distributors as well. Once the loading screen goes away, the reader acts perfectly normal again.

But why is it taking it literally minutes to load/recover from being ejected and disconnected? It didn't use to take this long.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:34 AM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
How many books are you loading? A lot or a few? Also have you looked at how much main memory you have left? I like to keep about 10% clear for the best efficiency.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2011, 03:20 AM   #3
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
I might be missing the point here but why do people here keep so many books on their reader?

After all you are only likely to be reading one or two books at any one time. Personally I only ever read one, and then move onto the next.

So I keep all my books in the library on my PC, and a back-up USB disc, and copy the books I currently want to read to the reader as required.

Once I have read a few books I remove them from the reader and copy a few more across. I probably have no more than ten books on my 650 at any one time.

As such my reader is normally ready for use less than 30 seconds after being removed from my PC.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #4
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Because I can.

And I read a lot, and don't always have a clue what I might want to read next.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Because I can.

Good for you... I am in the "I want a pocket library" group as well... if you want faster start after loading then you should take a look at PRS+ which allows you to bypass the complete book scan/rebuild database that happens every time you add a book and disconnect from computer... my 505 and 650 have 25K books on them and no wait after adding/disconnecting, courtesy of PRS+ - Sony Developer forum...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
How many books are you loading? A lot or a few? Also have you looked at how much main memory you have left? I like to keep about 10% clear for the best efficiency.
Usually only a handful, half a dozen or so. The main memory is only 50% full.

Quote:
Because I can.

Yes, and yes. Why would I not want to carry a whole library with me? I keep my whole music collection on my mp3-player as well. Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Good for you... I am in the "I want a pocket library" group as well... if you want faster start after loading then you should take a look at PRS+ which allows you to bypass the complete book scan/rebuild database that happens every time you add a book and disconnect from computer... my 505 and 650 have 25K books on them and no wait after adding/disconnecting, courtesy of PRS+ - Sony Developer forum...
Wait, what? It rebuilds the entire database every time I disconnect from a computer? I suppose that would explain it, though. In theory, that means I can probably fix this just by getting rid of whichever files in the data base are delaying the load, or by fixing up whatever has gone wonky with the file system. Or I can look at PRS+...
Old 07-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #7
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Because I can.
Fair enough, everyone's different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
...Yes, and yes. Why would I not want to carry a whole library with me? I keep my whole music collection on my mp3-player as well. Why not?
I agree with you regarding music, I have a 120Gb iPod which only has about 5Gb free. I probably listen to two or three albums each day, but I don't read two or three books a day.

Also it would appear that the time taken by my iPod to start is not affected by the volume of mp3 files I have stored on it, which apparently is not so with a Sony reader.

Anyway it would seem that PRS+ is the answer to your problem.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
Does anyone know approximately how many books or collections (if you don't have any notes or barely any) before the system starts slowing down? Does it do that database scan when you hit the home button from within a book?
BaenSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:56 PM   #9
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaenSidhe View Post
Does anyone know approximately how many books or collections (if you don't have any notes or barely any) before the system starts slowing down? Does it do that database scan when you hit the home button from within a book?
I have just over 400 books on my 950, the slow downs started around 250 though. Though I'm just one case, and for all I know it might just be a bad file that's causing it.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:41 AM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wonder if you do have a bad file or have corrupted one of the databases. I have 650+ books on my 950 and only 125MB of free space on the internal memory. I just transferred over 13 new books assigned to multiple collections using the Sony Reader Library auto-sync feature. Once I disconnected the USB cable, I timed how long it took to load my home screen. Only 1 minute 35 seconds.

EDIT: By the way, I have 3 periodical series, 26 collections and 205 notes at the moment.

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 07-24-2011 at 01:44 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

For what it's worth, it seems to be pretty consistent on loading times. I just transferred over one book & removed two, and the loading update was 1 minute 34 seconds.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #12
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
Wow. I only have 450 books, 80 collections, and 1.2GB of free space and it takes my device 3-4min to finish doing whatever it does after you unplug it from the computer.

How long does it take you to go to the home screen from within a book? Mine takes around 15 seconds.
BaenSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #13
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Around three minutes is usually what mine takes as well, sometimes longer. Going from book to home screen, takes only a few seconds.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:02 PM   #14
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

After doing some research I discovered that my just above 400 books are organized by my 950 into 450 collections!! Not only that, but when looking through Calibre I discovered over 300 tags, that the poor reader apparently was using to try and sort my books with. Apparently there are Smashwords authors who genuinely believe its a good idea to mar their books with over a dozen fully unique tags... though I can't for hte life of me see why.

So I spent most of today cleaning up the metadata entries, book by book, in my Calibre library. Once that was done I copied my books from the 950 to a folder in the desktop I named "950 backup" since nothing ever goes as planned with computer devices, and then I went to the settings menu and reformatted the internal memory, then connected the reader to my computer and sent my whole Calibre library to the reader again. That done, I shut down Calibre and sync'ed my Kobo desktop app, so those books went back on the reader again as well.

Time from disconnect to loading was about two minutes, which is a huge improvement from before. And now I only have seven collections!
Old 07-31-2011, 09:07 PM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

450 collections! Yikes! I find that when you fetch metadata in calibre it adds lots of tags too and so I've turned off downloading tags.