Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-06-2011, 12:35 AM   #1
glorfybe
glorfybe began at the beginning.

Device: entourage pocket edge
Arm V5te is not our friend

Hi all, first post so be gentle The first thing I did was install Ermine and root!

Thanks to the forum I now have my pocket edge up and running the market and generally running much better and a much more useable device.

I've seen a few post asking why the performance of our device is poor with games etc, although it is a 1.2 Ghz device. The reason is that the Marvell PXA 168 is based off of arm 5vte archetecture - I haven't been able to find a post clearly stating this, so I'm sorry if it is clearly stated and I'm missing it.

This means that several of my favorite apps plain just won't work, because they have been compiled for arm V6 and v7 (cortex). For instance, PowerAmp will not work (it is clearly stated Arm v5 is the reason why on their forum) so my paid for version is no good to me So there is no chance of getting full flash working. If you install Mobo Player it will clearly state that it is downloading the Arm v5te library.

In fact, performance in some respects is worse that my 600 Mhz Arm 6 phone - which plays Angry Birds far more smoothly. I have added the Chains3D driver which at least makes it playable.

Another tweak I have done is changed the Device Storage Device to SD card, which moves the library to SD and basically ignores the internal memory. I did edit vold to swap them over, and then decided that for the extra 3GB gained I'd rather just move everything to SD. A lot of apps do not like that internal partition.

For the first few days of ownership battery life was abysmal and it was running extremely hot. This was due to a media wake lock stopping it from hibernating. I'm not sure what I did to fix this, it may be as simple as opening the music app and lettting it finish - although I did kill the process, take out the SD card and reinsert it as well - since then, battery life much better, device cooler and hibernating properly.

Now my pocket edge is running how I want it, I'm very happy, and for the money I paid it is an absolute bargain and suits my particular needs much better than any ipad or HP touchpad or even the Nook Color (which I previously owned)
glorfybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:40 AM   #2
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Welcome to the forum glorfybe.

Before you do much more with your PE have a good read of the other threads in the forum. There is one about the hazards of using chainfire and the WSOD.

As long as you realise that Ermine is a beta release and messing with system files can brick your PE you should be OK with what you are doing.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
glorfybe

Thanks for the warning and the welcome. I've had my nook color on Cm7 since it was released and this is my fourth android device - I've not left one stock yet.

I'm findind that the pocket edge with all its minus points is far better for my needs than any tablet and far more flexible than a kindle etc.

Thanks to the wealth of information out there i'm lucky enough to get through my issues without to much bother
Old 09-07-2011, 12:03 AM   #4
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Welcome (again!) glorfybe! Interesting first post!

My favorite part, of course, is the part that says you are enjoying your PE!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:10 AM   #5
garyhgaryh
Zealot
garyhgaryh began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Welcome! How did you get the android marketplace to work.

I bought a touchpad, but love the pocket edge due to size and the eink display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorfybe View Post
Hi all, first post so be gentle The first thing I did was install Ermine and root!

Thanks to the forum I now have my pocket edge up and running the market and generally running much better and a much more useable device.

I've seen a few post asking why the performance of our device is poor with games etc, although it is a 1.2 Ghz device. The reason is that the Marvell PXA 168 is based off of arm 5vte archetecture - I haven't been able to find a post clearly stating this, so I'm sorry if it is clearly stated and I'm missing it.

This means that several of my favorite apps plain just won't work, because they have been compiled for arm V6 and v7 (cortex). For instance, PowerAmp will not work (it is clearly stated Arm v5 is the reason why on their forum) so my paid for version is no good to me So there is no chance of getting full flash working. If you install Mobo Player it will clearly state that it is downloading the Arm v5te library.

In fact, performance in some respects is worse that my 600 Mhz Arm 6 phone - which plays Angry Birds far more smoothly. I have added the Chains3D driver which at least makes it playable.

Another tweak I have done is changed the Device Storage Device to SD card, which moves the library to SD and basically ignores the internal memory. I did edit vold to swap them over, and then decided that for the extra 3GB gained I'd rather just move everything to SD. A lot of apps do not like that internal partition.

For the first few days of ownership battery life was abysmal and it was running extremely hot. This was due to a media wake lock stopping it from hibernating. I'm not sure what I did to fix this, it may be as simple as opening the music app and lettting it finish - although I did kill the process, take out the SD card and reinsert it as well - since then, battery life much better, device cooler and hibernating properly.

Now my pocket edge is running how I want it, I'm very happy, and for the money I paid it is an absolute bargain and suits my particular needs much better than any ipad or HP touchpad or even the Nook Color (which I previously owned)
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:57 AM   #6
glorfybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
Welcome! How did you get the android marketplace to work.

I bought a touchpad, but love the pocket edge due to size and the eink display.
Unfortunately it was the method that relies on root access, titanium backup and having an android phone with working market on it. I'm sure there must be a better method but unfortunately I'm not clever enough to work it out.

slideMe is a good alternative if you can't get Market access.

Thanks for the welcome,I wish I could have got a Touchpad for a good price, but I think my pocketedge is a better fit for anyway!
Old 09-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
glorfybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Welcome (again!) glorfybe! Interesting first post!

My favorite part, of course, is the part that says you are enjoying your PE!
Thanks for the welcome!

Why would I buy a different bookreader when this one is still available? If it had a better cpu it would be unbeatable.

As it is, I have e-ink for top class book reading. I have lcd for night time reading and for a bit of light browsing - even sounds pretty good through headphones. It satisfies all my gadget cravings!
Old 09-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
LOL - sounds like many people who own the eDGe are bargain hunters. I also have an HP Touchpad (must confess, I love the damn thing).
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote