Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-04-2013, 05:14 AM   #1
Pode
Pode began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Comics/manga reader with inapp OCR/dictionary ?

I don't really in which subforum I can ask that question, and it's still a general idea, so I suppose it's best to ask it here.

There's now a lot of manga, comics, euro-"bande dessinée" available as a scan or directly through legal online store, in an electronic form, in all languages.

I spent some time to search for it, but I didn't find any comics/manga reader (either on desktop win/lin/mac, or on Mobile iOS/Android/Win/etc.) that provide the possibility to read a page, "select" a word in it, have a quick OCR done on the text, and provide you a definition/translation.
My idea is, for example, to read comics in spanish (as it's not my mother tongue), and quickly highlight/OCR the word I don't know, to help me learn them faster.

I'm a developer, my specialty is Computer Vision (with OpenCV and other frameworks). Printed texts in comic books follow some constraints that make them manageable by an OCR algorithm.

Since I never saw a soft doing that, I though that I need to code one myself, but before that, I really wanted to be sure that no one exist.

Does somebody heard of an app that does that ?
Pode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:18 AM   #2
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
http://www.kanjitomo.net/

This isn't precisely a comics reader and isn't for the language you're interested in, but this might interest you.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2013, 05:27 AM   #3
Pode
Pode began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
@charmian : thanks for the quick answer !
I already heard about kanjitomo (I also lurk on koohii.com's forum ).

I want to perfom something very close to that. In fact, the algorithm itself isn't very hard. The really good part would be an good integration in an app with a good UI/UX !
Pode is offline   Reply With Quote