Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-19-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
JollyRoger
Zealot
JollyRoger is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Multiple authors on one book won't sort

I have many books written by one author, with the collaboration of another.
For instance, I have 11 Douglas Adams books, 5 of which he co authored with someone else.
What I can't get Kindle collection plugin to do is to add all of the Douglas Adams books, including those with a co author, to one folder.
I can do it manually but I've got hundreds of books and it's taking ages.
Anyone got any suggestions?
JollyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Yeah I have a suggestion - go use another product. Seriously. Because you have been given the answer on no less than four times on your original thread for this. Don't open new threads just because you don't like the answer.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
JollyRoger
Zealot

Sorry for the confusion, the answer was given to me for how to keep serials of books together, not multiple authors.
I have serials kept together now, and in one of my last posts I had stated I was now having to manual sort multiple authors. One respondent said I should not have to do that, however there has been no answer as to how to have Calibre do it automatically.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
JollyRoger
Zealot

Sorry you're right, I had forgotten one of those posts, and not seen the last one. If you check post #15 in that thread you'll see that I stated it didn't work properly, so I was hoping for another suggestion.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That was exactly what I gave you the answer for four times - as early as post #10 in that thread. You have to edit your author sort field, if you are creating collections based on author sort.

So either:
- suck it up and live with multiple author based collections on your Kindle,
- suck it up and do this one-off exercise of editing author sorts for the subset of authors which do have multiple authors. It takes a second or two per book, it isn't that onerous. Even the largest book collections should be done in a couple of hours.
- post on meme's Kindle collections thread requesting a new feature to treat collaborative authors separately.
- don't create author based collections. You can create collections based on a custom column containing whatever you like. However that is still going to involve "effort" and even more complication which you seem to be wanting to avoid.

There is no magic solution.
Advert
Old 07-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
JollyRoger
Zealot

As I said in post #15, I did the author sort precisely as you suggested, and it didn't work. I clearly said that to you.
So,
-read properly before you have a go at others
-if you suggest something, the user tries it and it doesn't work, suck it up, it's not life threatening
-someone is clearly wanting answers that you feel you have given to your best, suck it up, clearly that answer hasn't worked

I do appreciate all the time you've taken, I don't appreciate you taking it out on me because there's no answer for what I want to achieve.

Relax and live longer.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

You have the best answer I can give you. Good luck to whoever else tries to help.

Last edited by kiwidude; 07-19-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
JollyRoger
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
You have the best answer I can give you. Good luck to whoever else tries to help.
And I appreciate the help you gave, but do you have to finish with an insult? Yo did your best and it did help, but I have outstanding issues. Why does that annoy you?
Anyway, it's 159 days til Xmas, happy holidays everyone!
Old 07-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

There was no insult in that post. Any antagonism in my previous posts was based around how all of your recent posts have been repeatedly complaining about how much effort it all is. All you said in your post #15 was that "you recall trying that" and then proceeded to talk about issues with sorting in the calibre library view, which bears little relation to how books get displayed on a Kindle collection. You did not state anywhere that you had *actually* (since sending to the Kindle) tried editing an author sort, sending the book again, regenerating the collections with the Kindle plugin, restarting the Kindle and looking at what you had now. Instead my reading of all your subsequent posts is just how much effort it all is, *not* that the steps don't actually work for you.

If you do those steps, you will get the collections you want. There is nothing more I can say about it.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #10
JollyRoger
Zealot

Kiwidude, lets leave it? You want to be right? OK You're right. You want me to be lazy and wrong? OK I'm lazy and wrong. You feel better now?