Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
Kiley
Kiley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Distracting?

I want to ask Nook owners a question - do you find the glare from the glossy white casing distracting while reading? And what about the LCD?

I looked at this thing in-store and I just couldn't convince myself that it's better than the Kindle. The LCD didn't seem intuitive - looking from e-ink to LCD and back again numerous times seemed like a hassle and potentially hard on the eyes.
Kiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
comma
comma began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
i don't find it distracting while reading a book at all,
comma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
ellimak
I spit hot fire
ellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Nook, or as I call him, Sir Nookington
Nope, I never even considered that the casing might be distracting until you mentioned it. The LCD hasn't been a problem either. You can adjust the brightness of the touchscreen as well as the timer for the touchscreen if you have any issues with it. I've used my nook pretty much exclusively for reading since I got it in January (usually at least two hours a day, often much more) and I haven't had any eyestrain issues.

The only problem I had with it was when the right page turn button cracked, but I was sent a replacement within two days of my complaint.
ellimak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
Kindle Addict
kindict
Kindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2, Kobo, iPad, Nook
I didn't find it distracting until you mentioned it either - now I can't stand the thing . Actually once you are immersed in a book, you really don't notice anything but what you are reading. Many people pick up a skin or case that can cover up the frame. I've even seen some people take their case apart and paint it!

As for the LCD display, it is far from distracting, and incredibly useful - especially if you have softrooted your Nook. You can quickly navigate exclusively in the LCD display, then select a book and read on the upper display. Pretty tough to do that on any other eReader (not to mention ePub support).
Kindle Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
There is no glare from the white casing, and the touchscreen navigation works just fine and is not distracting at all.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 04:20 PM   #6
Tinks
Zealot
Tinks doesn't litterTinks doesn't litter

Device: Voyage
You could always buy a matte skin from decalgirl or some other place to change the color.
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:28 PM   #7
Mojoman
Enthusiast
Mojoman began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
The only time I found it distracting was at night using a book light. The light was hard to get adjusted just right so it didn't reflect off the casing. I added a matte skin from Decalgirl and there's no problem now. The LCD display is no problem at all and it doesn't stay on while you are reading.
Mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:11 PM   #8
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiley View Post
I want to ask Nook owners a question - do you find the glare from the glossy white casing distracting while reading? And what about the LCD?
Not at all. I never notice any glare when I'm reading.

Quote:
I looked at this thing in-store and I just couldn't convince myself that it's better than the Kindle. The LCD didn't seem intuitive - looking from e-ink to LCD and back again numerous times seemed like a hassle and potentially hard on the eyes.
I felt that way at first. But I figured that I could always use the page turning buttons instead of swiping the LCD. After a month with the Nook I've realized I LOVE the touchscreen LCD.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:05 PM   #9
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
I used the Nook for a couple of months before getting a black skin on it. While the skin did increase contrast, I didn't have any problem with the device's regular color.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #10
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
No to both your questions. Largely because once you are reading, the LCD screen goes dark. Which means you can use it turn pages with a light finger swipe.

There is some glare/shine from the bezel if you use a booklight, but a case or skin can solve that problem.

Frankly, I found the Kindle 2's wide bezel uncomfortable - it felt like too much white space around the text. I'm glad to see they fixed that with Kindle 3.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #11
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
No issues with either. I had a darker matte skin on my nook, but removed it. I like the case better. As others said, the lcd screen goes dark in a few seconds, so no distraction at all.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #12
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiley View Post

by and large I don't get much of a glare unless i'm in an ultra lightining area such as brightly lit department store. Which I wouldn't be reading there anywho. But if you are one who glares bothers in the slightest you can always buy a skin for it. It being a white bezal does help with it not having to much glare. Just compare it to how much glare a black piano back bezal such as most HDTV's are. White glossy is much much less reflective. But as I said you can always put a skin on it.

I love the lcd screen. I don't find myself looking up and down if you are I think you are thinking too much about it. You have to remember it's only 6.5 inches from the top of the eink screen to the bottom edge of the lcd screen so its in total range of view.

I seemed to find between Prof. reviews, amatuer reviews and user reviews and on different forums that the majority of people are finding that the more they use the screen and get over the learning curve of it's navigation the more people are loving it.
you catch on really fast, faster than any smart phone.

I do love it and could not think of navigating on a Kindle or something else. The Kindle and the likes seems very outdated.

Last edited by boswd; 08-12-2010 at 09:53 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:46 PM   #13
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I haven't found it particularly distracting. Sometimes I do notice a bit of glare, but nothing horrid. I did end up putting my nook in a holster style case that is a bit lighter than my previous BN case, so that has cut any glare issues almost entirely out.

I keep my touchscreen at 10% brightness... which is plenty bright for most indoor reading and also on the 10 second time, so it quickly dims and grows dark when reading. I don't find it distracting at all once it is dark and it mostly stays that way, unless I decide I want to change font size or something.

I really love turning pages with the touchscreen! But of course, with the nook you can choose between swiping and button pushing.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:06 PM   #14
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
The white casing of shiny piano-paint was a concern for me also: admittedly, it is a beauty, but I was also afraid of the reflection it may cause. But after using it for more than a month, I am so happy to tell you that it did not distract me at all when I am reading - I never use a book light, but on other lighting conditions, there is no issue at all.

Touch Screen is also not an issue as it will be de-activated in a few seconds. The only concern about a touch screen is battery drain, not a serious issue, but it does drain battery.

I was never a fan of a touch screen until a couple of days ago when I converted a 9000 page Chinese history book with 200 plus chapters. I cannot even imagine using a Kindle joystick to navigate through 200 chapters - but on the nook, it works like a charm, you can tap the screen using your finger to roll over the chapters very smoothly and quickly (like you would on an iPod touch or iPhone) and select the one and hit go, this is fantastic. Chapter rolling only involves the touch screen, so it is blazing fast and very smooth, however, navigation for functions other than chapter rolling takes both the e-ink screen and the touch screen, which takes some practice - for one thing, the e-ink due to its limitation, does not re-paint fast enough, and you have to look both the e-ink screen on top and the touch screen on the bottom which takes some coordination. Anyway, when inactive, the touch screen will not distract you in anyway, and the finger swipe feature (when it's inactive) and the chapter rolling feature (when it's active) is well worth a touch.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:04 PM   #15
bleugh
Enthusiast
bleugh began at the beginning.

Device: nook
if you're out in the sun then the fine pinpricks of direct glare can get real annoying requiring you to either; re-orient so there's no glare, or move out of the sun!

I'll probably go for a matte finish once I get another surround knocked up
bleugh is offline   Reply With Quote