Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 06:51 AM   #1
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
I'm probably being paranoid but ...

I just searched for some info on an ereader device and it showed me a page from this forum - or so I thought - I then replied to a thread but it asked me for my username and password. Odd I thought as I'm normally logged in automatically. I then looked at the url and noticed it was slightly different - (67.205.70.12) if it's just a numeric version of the url then all's ok but if it's not then someone is asking gathering user names and passwords and then could use them to get email addresses and perhaps log on to other sites (your bank for instance).

Could you check please.

Mike

This was the url I was on
http://67.205.70.12/forums/newreply....ote=1&p=882987. It looks identical to the thread on this forum but it doesn't have the latest posts.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:56 AM   #2
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
http://www.utrace.de/?query=67.205.70.12

(I don't know if that is this site or not, but I think someone did mention once that it is in Canada).

I often get asked to login from a Google search too, not just here either. It's probably due to the extra tracking/spying gunk the links they provide contain.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Thanks for looking - I'll book mark that site as it looks useful. I've changed all my passwords now anyway but I suppose I should do that on a periodic basis anyway.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:17 AM   #4
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Quote:
C:\Users\Milo>ping mobileread.com

Pinging mobileread.com [67.205.70.12] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 67.205.70.12: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=56
Reply from 67.205.70.12: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=56
Reply from 67.205.70.12: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=56
Reply from 67.205.70.12: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 67.205.70.12:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 24ms, Maximum = 34ms, Average = 27ms

a quick ping reveals that IP is one of the ones mobileread.com uses. They probably have a pool of IP addresses mobileread.com resolves to, so bookmarking that IP specifically is pointless.

The reason you're asked to login when you go directly through the website IP address instead of a domain name is because the 'cookie' that 'remembers you' is associated with mobileread.com, not a specific IP.

Last edited by Stinger; 05-14-2010 at 08:21 AM.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote