Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-01-2010, 08:12 AM   #1
Switch
Switch began at the beginning.

Device: None.
Margin question

What do I have to do to convert files like EPUB to PDF, LIT to PDF, and such, to read on my computer. Can I not use Calibre for this? I would like to read on my computer. But the top and bottom margins never work. I've added CSS code, it still doesn't work. What am I supposed to do? Converting to RTF and realigning in Word takes up to 4 hours.
Switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:27 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch View Post
What do I have to do to convert files like EPUB to PDF, LIT to PDF, and such, to read on my computer. Can I not use Calibre for this? I would like to read on my computer. But the top and bottom margins never work. I've added CSS code, it still doesn't work. What am I supposed to do? Converting to RTF and realigning in Word takes up to 4 hours.
Why convert to read on your computer? Calibre has an ebook viewer that can read most all non-drm books. If they are legit drm books it depends on how you bought them. Try Adobe Digital Editions for the ePubs, Microsoft Reader for the LIT, Mobipocket or Kindle4pc depending on how you bought them etc... Of course those readers I just listed work great for non-drm ebooks too.

I'm just saying there is no need to convert to pdf to read on your computer.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2010, 08:29 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I can't answer you quetion, but I have one of my own:

Why not read ePub on your computer using Adobe Digital Editions, or the ePub plug-in to Firefox?

Quote:
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:35 AM   #4
Switch

I do have Digital Editions installed, but the program is buggy sometimes and a pain to use. I prefer PDF because it's more flexible for me. I've used MS's LIT reader, and it's both slow and buggy. I would rather use one program than have a dozen of them installed on my computer.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I would rather use one program than have a dozen of them installed on my computer.
OK, haveing thought about it for a bit, I wonder what CSS you added? What you probably need is

@page {
margin: 5pt;
}

or however much margin you want. I suspect that you've just set top and bottom margins on the html or body element - this won't work. (Well, it does, but it only affects the top of the first page and the bottom of the last page for each html file.)
Advert
Old 05-01-2010, 09:39 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You might want to consider a 3rd party reader on the PC side then? I used to use uBook and found it very good at handling a wide variety of formats.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:55 AM   #7
Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
OK, haveing thought about it for a bit, I wonder what CSS you added? What you probably need is

@page {
margin: 5pt;
}

or however much margin you want. I suspect that you've just set top and bottom margins on the html or body element - this won't work. (Well, it does, but it only affects the top of the first page and the bottom of the last page for each html file.)
In the program's preferences under the conversion area.

Code:
p{ margin:0pt; padding: 0pt}
margin-top:100px;
margin-bottom:100px;
margin-right:150px;
margin-left:150px;
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
You might want to consider a 3rd party reader on the PC side then? I used to use uBook and found it very good at handling a wide variety of formats.
If I wanted to not use PDF, then I'd have done that, but because I made it clear I prefer PDF documents, I see no point in using such a program.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:16 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
In the program's preferences under the conversion area.

Code:
p{ margin:0pt; padding: 0pt}
margin-top:100px;
margin-bottom:100px;
margin-right:150px;
margin-left:150px;
Try

html, body { margin: 0; padding: 0 }
p { margin:0; padding: 0 }
@page{ margin: 100pt 150pt }

(I feel using pixels is always a bit dodgy - you never know what resoluton the renderer is going to be using. 100pt is just under 1.5 inches. Might be OK on a computer screen - enormously too big for any current dedicated reader.)
Old 05-02-2010, 04:51 AM   #9
Switch

No difference.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:18 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
No difference.
Since PDF is your choice try using debug. Set a directory and then after conversion look at the html code produced in that directory, fix the margins and convert the fixed html to PDF.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #11
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I agree about not bothering to convert. One can tell Calibre to use the internal reader only on certain file types. Also, having multiple readers for multiple file types isn't that big of a deal. Just set the file association in your OS to the reader of choice and tell Calibre not to read that file type. That way, when opening a book in Calibre, it will open in the appropriate reader. Like you, most of my e-books will be in PDF (sadly, the pages are scanned images--OCR is too slow and dodgy--so the text will not flow) and I prefer Adobe Acrobat over Calibre's internal reader (not a slight against the reader, just a preference).
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #12
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Yeah, taking proper ebook files and extracting a HTML version should be pretty easy. Then you can take any number of programs/options to convert HTML to PDF. If you don't have Acrobat to cook the PDFs, just open them in a web browser and use a print-to-pdf app (such as PDFCreator).
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote