Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-19-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
ebooker
Banned
ebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: sony prs-650!
any harm from leaving the reader turned on?

IS there any harm to the screen, if you leave your e-ink reader turned on all the time? Just leave it on?

For example in the old CRT screens, you could "burn in" a picture by leaving the screen on all the time on a static image (hence we had screen savers).

Is there any equivalent danger with e-ink? I know the physics is different here, but wondering because sometimes on my sony reader I do see a faint outline of the previous image which remains for a while (it eventually goes away). Wondering if there is any kind of 'burn in' effect, or any other downside, to leaving my reader on (with an image on the screen) 24 hours a day. After all it doesnt consume any battery that way, so why not just leave it on?

Last edited by ebooker; 11-19-2009 at 08:41 PM.
ebooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
I've got a Sony 505. I often leave mine on for extended periods of time. After a while of no page turns it will shut off by itself. I've had my unit for about 2 years and there is no burn-in that I can see from leaving it on. I don't know how the other models fare.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
ebooker
Banned
ebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
After a while of no page turns it will shut off by itself.
my prs600 has the turn-off feature (60 minute delay) but you can disable that in the options. I was going to disable it and then just let it stay on indefinitely. (Like a real book

Does anyone know of any adverse things that might happen (to the screen or otherwise) if I do that?
Old 11-19-2009, 09:06 PM   #4
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebooker View Post
my prs600 has the turn-off feature (60 minute delay) but you can disable that in the options. I was going to disable it and then just let it stay on indefinitely. (Like a real book

Does anyone know of any adverse things that might happen (to the screen or otherwise) if I do that?

Mine works the same way (that's what I meant to say), and I've found no adverse effects from letting it stay on indefinitely, after 2 years of using it that way.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
ebooker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
Mine works the same way (that's what I meant to say), and I've found no adverse effects from letting it stay on indefinitely, after 2 years of using it that way.
cool, thanks!

just like a real book :-D
Advert
Old 11-20-2009, 03:01 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It is entirely normal to leave the Reader turned on. The power switch does not "turn it off" (unless you hold it in for 5 seconds); it just blanks the screen and locks most of the buttons. It only turns off if you select "Shut down" from the menu, or hold in the power switch for longer than 5 seconds.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:10 AM   #7
ebooker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It is entirely normal to leave the Reader turned on. The power switch does not "turn it off" (unless you hold it in for 5 seconds); it just blanks the screen and locks most of the buttons. It only turns off if you select "Shut down" from the menu, or hold in the power switch for longer than 5 seconds.
thats a good point harry, there is a separate shutdown function.

The turnoff switch then mainly blanks screen and locks buttons as you say. One question tho -- on the touchscreen model, does the touchscreen use up any battery if its left on that way?

This is a non-issue on the prs500 series of course (no touchscreen).
Old 11-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
Tony Hoyle
Enthusiast
Tony Hoyle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
I think the touchscreen does use up a little, as I've seen the number of segments on the battery left drop just from leaving the reader in standby for a day. It's not much though.. I don't imagine the batteries in these things is too powerful it's lasting over a week between charges.
Tony Hoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #9
ebooker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Hoyle View Post
I think the touchscreen does use up a little, as I've seen the number of segments on the battery left drop just from leaving the reader in standby for a day. It's not much though.. I don't imagine the batteries in these things is too powerful it's lasting over a week between charges.
well, I guess the question is whether the battery drops a bit each day simply because lithium batteries naturally lose some power if left alone, or wether its from the touchscreen? IF its on standby, presumably the touchscreen wasnt active anyway, so maybe in your case thats just the lithium battery slowly running down on its own as they all do?
Old 11-20-2009, 04:16 PM   #10
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
well, I guess the question is whether the battery drops a bit each day simply because lithium batteries naturally lose some power if left alone, or wether its from the touchscreen?
The self-discharge rate of the battery is so small that it won't even be a consideration on the time scales we are discussing here.

No, it seems pretty clear that Sony has a failure in either the hardware or the software when it comes to the PRS-600. My guess is that it is a software flaw, but I wouldn't expect the issue to ever be resolved. Sony has shown almost no interest in actually supporting their products so far. They make a good product (with respect to the device, the desktop software is a complete nightmare), but they have no interest in investing in their customers.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:09 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
well, I guess the question is whether the battery drops a bit each day simply because lithium batteries naturally lose some power if left alone, or wether its from the touchscreen? IF its on standby, presumably the touchscreen wasnt active anyway, so maybe in your case thats just the lithium battery slowly running down on its own as they all do?
There's no reason to suppose that it's anything to do with the touchscreen. When it's in "standby", the machine is still running; the CPU and memory are still using power, etc. It's not like putting a laptop into "standby" mode where the machine actually switches off; in standby mode, the Reader is still running as normal - it's just that the screen is blank and most buttons are locked.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:41 AM   #12
Loose_Appeal
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish?
Loose_Appeal doesn't litterLoose_Appeal doesn't litter

Device: Current: PRS-650, Previous: Books
I think the greatest harm that might happen is that someone else might enlighten themselves by reading something from your device.
Loose_Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote