Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #1
jeffneedle
jeffneedle began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Removing DRM from Kindle Fire books

Hello. I own both a Kindle Fire and a Vizio Tablet. The Vizio reads ebook format and has a link directly to the Barnes and Noble site where I also have an account.

I want to convert a free book I've downloaded in Kindle format to a format readable on the Vizio tablet. I'm using Calibre right now. Calibre tells me that I can't convert the book since there is DRM protection.

Can someone tell me how to remove the DRM protection? I'll be converting only free books, and only for my own use. I'm using Ubuntu Linux 10.04.

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
I believe this topic is not permitted on this forum, regardless of whether the book was free or what "fair use" rights you have.

That said, it is possible to remove drm from Kindle books using Calbre, you just need a plugin and you need to have access to the account from which the Kindle book was downloaded originally. Google around for "remove DRM kindle calibre plugin" and I'm sure you'll find the instructions.
Advert
Old 02-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Can't you put the Kindle app on the Vizio tablet and read the Amazon book that way?
Old 02-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
jeffneedle

Theoretically, yes. But I've downloaded the Kindle book to my Vizio download area, and the Amazon app is looking for books in a location that I'm not aware of. I'm betting I can play around with it a little more and figure out how to do it.

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I don't know if DRM can be removed from Kinde Fire ebook files. The usual approach is to download the same titles to Kindle for PC (or Kindle for Mac), because their DRM can be removed. See Apprentice Alf's Blog for more about DRM.
Advert
Old 02-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
jeffneedle

Now there's a great idea! Can install Kindle for PC on my Linux system with the Wine compatibility layer, and then manipulate them from there. Thanks!
Old 02-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffneedle View Post
Theoretically, yes. But I've downloaded the Kindle book to my Vizio download area, and the Amazon app is looking for books in a location that I'm not aware of. I'm betting I can play around with it a little more and figure out how to do it.

Thanks.
Put the files in the Kindle folder.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I solved DRM problems by buying a Tablet!
Old 02-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Now there's a great idea! Can install Kindle for PC on my Linux system with the Wine compatibility layer, and then manipulate them from there. Thanks!
Certainly possible. But the Wine approach with K4PC may not be as straightforward as you hope... and it's certainly not for the faint of heart.

(Yes K4PC installs and runs fine under WINE... but that's just a teency portion of what you're trying to accomplish)
Old 02-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Moderator Notice

Discussions of how to remove DRM, the best ways to do it, where to download tools, etc., are not permitted on MobileRead.

There are websites and blogs around that do provide this sort of information, but direct links to those sites are also not permitted.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread