Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
lmronan
lmronan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is it possible to UN embed fonts?

I have created an epub file using Calibre and cleaned up the file with Sigil. I'm now in the validation process using the Threepress validator and have come up with this message: "Your document was created with Adobe InDesign and uses embedded fonts. InDesign does not produce valid ePub output when fonts are embedded." Is there code I can delete at this point or do I need to start over?!
lmronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:14 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can you post the CSS so we can see what the error message actually means?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
lmronan

I don't know much about code which is why I'm using Sigil. My css file is 500 lines long. Most of it seems to be about paragraph styling, this is the first bit that seems to be about the whole doc.
@namespace h "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";
.calibre {
display: block;
font-size: 1em;
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-left: 5pt;
margin-right: 5pt;
margin-top: 0;
page-break-before: always;
text-align: justify
}

I see on the Threepress site I should have something like,
"@font-face {
font-family : MyFont;
font-weight : normal;
font-style: normal;
src : url(MyFont.otf);

but I don't.

I'm very lost.

}
Old 06-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
You say you created it in Calibre. Was Indesign a part of the process at some point? When exporting from InDesign uncheck 'Include Embeddable Fonts'.

As Paul explains in this post Adobe's method of embedding fonts won't pass validation...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...46&postcount=4

Not sure how you'd undo it after generating the epub, but I'm sure it's possible. Need to poke around the file though to figure it out.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 06-03-2010 at 01:34 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ZIP the CSS and attach it. Then we can see exactly what's there.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
lmronan

I don't know how to get the css file out of sigil.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Rename the .epub to .zip and then you can just unzip the CSS file.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:44 PM   #8
lmronan

tried that, already, but I get a .zip.cpgz file???
Old 06-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Have you got hidden file extensions turned on in Windows?
Old 06-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
lmronan

working on a mac, os 10.6.3
Old 06-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #11
lmronan

no love for the mac?
Old 06-03-2010, 06:05 PM   #12
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmronan View Post
I'm now in the validation process using the Threepress validator and have come up with this message: "Your document was created with Adobe InDesign and uses embedded fonts. InDesign does not produce valid ePub output when fonts are embedded." Is there code I can delete at this point or do I need to start over?!
There's a "Fonts" folder in the Book Browser. Expand it and then delete the embedded fonts. Then find the @font-face CSS code that included those fonts and delete that too.

No need to any unzipping at all.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:52 AM   #13
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Quote:
There's a "Fonts" folder in the Book Browser. Expand it and then delete the embedded fonts. Then find the @font-face CSS code that included those fonts and delete that too.
tip: calibre embeds the @font-face css code in every xhtml file instead of the css file
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:10 AM   #14
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catire View Post
tip: calibre embeds the @font-face css code in every xhtml file instead of the css file
A global search&replace should take care of that.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:26 AM   #15
paulpeer
Zealot
paulpeer is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, Sony PRS-505, EPUBreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmronan View Post
tried that, already, but I get a .zip.cpgz file???
As Valloric said, you don't have to unzip it at all. But for your information, if you ever want to unzip an ePub on the Mac: open a terminal window and type: unzip title.epub
paulpeer is offline   Reply With Quote