Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Owners of the Kobo Mini: What Are Your Impressions?

I know it's not really necessary, considering I already have three ereaders and am expecting a fourth on Christmas, but I've kind of completely fallen in love with the Kobo Mini and I'm wondering: for those of you who own it, what are your impressions of it? Is it slow, what fonts does it have, how responsive is the touch screen? Since a major part of my reason for wanting it have to do with it's 5 inch screen - is it appreciably smaller than the average 6 inch ereader, or do you not really notice it that much?
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
I wouldn't call it slow at all, except for some sideloaded books it responds fast and well for a reader of it's size. I enjoy it because it's easy to carry around and is virtually pocket sized. There are many fonts, though it lacks the font I favorited on my Vox, I've found a comparable one so I now have something comfortable to read and bring with me that isn't quite as small as my cell or as big as the Vox.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
sneakyspider
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Portability is a definitely a big part of what drew me to this ereader. I'm glad to hear it has a broad font selection - the right font is definitely a crucial part of my reading experience; I'm sure I'll be able to find one on there to suit me.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
I'm sure I'll be able to find one on there to suit me.
You can add your own fonts if you want to try something not on it. The pre-loaded fonts can be "tuned" (made thicker/thinner etc) whereas the sideloaded fonts can't. Sideloaded fonts tend to be a little thinner than the pre-loaded ones so you may have to try a few before you find one you like.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:44 AM   #5
amazauc
amazauc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
I use public transportation and even the smallest kindle was barely small enough. Picked up the Kmini and am reading more than ever.

I converted some azw/mobi to epub and loaded them. I noticed the fonts on these epubs don't respond to the font change instructions. They stay the same size. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

The free books I got from Kobo's site look fine and can be changed in size.

One small beef I have is it seems to freeze up and I have to power it down and back up again. This may be it going into sleep mode after 5 minutes.

Regardless whether its a glitch with my unit or I'm not up to speed on its operation, I love it. I keep the same book going on my Kindle and Kobo and switch to the Kindle when I read at home.

May pick up another Kobo mini as a backup since I know I'll miss it if goes out on me. I guess I could just go out and buy another at that time.

I had the hardest time finding a black one but a local Christian book store had them.
amazauc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
I've Not Had The Problem You're having With The converted Mobi Files. I Wonder If It didn't Convert properly for you.

The freezing problem I have with the side loaded books. I let it sit and it'll change pages in about a minute.

(On phone so sorry about some of the typing glitches and quick response)
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
amazauc
amazauc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesslynne View Post
I've Not Had The Problem You're having With The converted Mobi Files. I Wonder If It didn't Convert properly for you.

The freezing problem I have with the side loaded books. I let it sit and it'll change pages in about a minute.

(On phone so sorry about some of the typing glitches and quick response)
That pretty much describes the freezing I experienced. I'm used to quick responses so I thought it was frozen. I noticed sometimes it would "catch up" and begin changing pages or going to the home screen if I tapped the middle.

I never waited a full minute without tapping it more than once. I'll just be more patient.

I thought a small screen would be harder to read with, but its actually better!

I focus more on each paragraph's content and sometimes reread it before going on to glean more understanding. When I switch to the kindle I don't pause much and keep zipping along.

Really enjoying the mini. I bet anything one of the next versions of the Kindle will be a copycat of the Kobo Mini. I'd buy it so I won't have to convert that many books over.
amazauc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #8
hecq
hecq began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I love my mini. The size is perfect (fits in my jeans backpocket), the screen is not too small for reading (they are ebooks anyway so they will adapt to whatever your “page” size is, I dont understand all the hatred for sub-6" readers) and sideloaded books work just fine if you are careful to get quality releases and handle them properly in Calibre.
If you can find it for 50$ on sale like I did over Black Friday then you can't go wrong.
hecq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
I currently have a white one, and if you aren't using anything other than (k)epubs and want a small size it works great. Contrast/lightness isn't as nice as the newer screens, esp. obvious with the white bezel (not a good idea since way back with the Sony Librie...)

But finding a black one is like chasing a frickin' unicorn!!

The aforementioned christian bookstore doesn't have any online anymore either (which you find out only after trying to put one in the cart)
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
I have a white one and enjoy it very much. I've read kepubs, epubs, mobi, and PDF files, would not recommend it for PDF. A couple of my mobi files wouldn't work, but it seems to be the exception, not the norm.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:50 AM   #11
sneakyspider

Quote:
But finding a black one is like chasing a frickin' unicorn!!
There's one here on the best buy website. It's sold out at the moment, but that might be because of the recent sale.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kobo+-+M...&skuId=6640579
Old 12-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #12
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
Thanks, checked that one regularly since they put it up at the Mini's release, it seems to be always "Sold Out", discounted or regular price, online or store... (no problem with the white one) I think somebody managed to score one in what was probably the only shipment they got so far?!?

Eventually, it will sort itself out and I'm not in any particular hurry, it just seems strange that Kobo seems to have miscalculated the demand so badly (or maybe they decided to prioritize the white since it's the one in all their promo material...)
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:58 PM   #13
AliciaNunz
AliciaNunz began at the beginning.

Device: kobo mini
I recently got my Kobo Mini and I am 95% in love with it. The 5% issue has to do with freezing and the fact that the current book doesn't open to the last page I was reading. It actually opens about 20 pages back!!! I sideload 99.99% of my books so that might be an issue. It has only happened on 3 books so far (the last 3). All the others worked well or opened 1 page back. I'll have to see how it is on my regular loaded books. Aesthetically it is a great reader. Reading on a 5" screen is no problem at all, the fonts are nice and easy to see and it is so portable!!
AliciaNunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:07 AM   #14
sophie1rachel
sophie1rachel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Smile I have never used it

I have never used it ut if you say so I will buy it and take a look at its features. I personally want to go for a Kindle. What Say?
sophie1rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:58 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaNunz View Post
the fact that the current book doesn't open to the last page I was reading. It actually opens about 20 pages back!!! I sideload 99.99% of my books so that might be an issue. It has only happened on 3 books so far (the last 3). All the others worked well or opened 1 page back. I'll have to see how it is on my regular loaded books. Aesthetically it is a great reader.
This is a known bug in the current firmware, though opening 20 pages early is further than I have heard of. The workaround it to set the margins on the device to zero. Open the book, open the font settings and move the margin slider all the way to the left.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote