Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-13-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; Nexus 5X
I'm a Sony Reader owner, yet I will only buy Kindle books

I convert all my eBooks to EPUB (ePub, epub, Epub, whatever). My device is a PRS-350, so 'mobi' files aren't an option for me; at least, they cannot stay the way they are.

I only buy from Amazon (specifically the UK store) because it's the only real guarantee I have of quality. I've yet to come across another store selling eBooks that offers a decent preview/sample of the book in question. B&N is out of the question for me because of geo-restrictions, and Kobo's preview is a terrible HTML mess. Smashwords I'm excluding because I'm explictly focused here on 'commerical' books - the kind of books that shift thousands.

If I want to read George R. R. Martin's latest, where am I going to go? Well, the Kindle store of course! Nowhere else will show me the goods, as it were, before I pay for 'em. I've declined buying a few books now from Amazon because of poor formatting, and I'm glad I was able to avoid such typographical tragedies. I'd love to buy from somewhere else, but until there are others offering samples, I simply refuse to buy something I cannot see - especially when most 'terms and conditions' state that 'all sales are final'.

eBooks, in their current form, are different from say, DVDs, or CDs. If I bought a DVD from a website, I wouldn't expect it to stutter every few frames, or have the colours invert every chapter or so. So why should I have to put up with garbled characters and poor sentence spacing? I can return the DVD, but not the eBook?

What about distance selling regulations (UK law)? Are eBooks covered under DSRs? Should they be? I jolly well think they should!

What are your thoughts? Should I take the gamble and spend my money elsewhere? Part of the trouble though, is that Amazon are generally cheaper than anywhere else, and when the price is negligible, I'd still rather endure the hassle of stripping the DRM from the file, and converting, if it means I can preview it before buying!

Last edited by Arrghus; 08-13-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I think you have things worked out okay. As long as Amazon doesn't come up with some sort of uncrackable DRM (unlikely), you're good to go. I don't buy and convert myself, but as long as I was sure it would work I wouldn't have any qualms about doing it.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Amazon.com will allow ebook returns for up to 7 days you are unhappy with the quality (or for any other reason). I assume Amazon.uk is the same but I don't know.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #4
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; Nexus 5X
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
Amazon.com will allow ebook returns for up to 7 days you are unhappy with the quality (or for any other reason). I assume Amazon.uk is the same but I don't know.
It's better than no returns full stop (which is what a lot of sites say is the case)!
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #5
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrghus View Post
It's better than no returns full stop (which is what a lot of sites say is the case)!
Yes, yes it is.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:43 AM   #6
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I had no problem getting a refund from Waterstone's for a badly-formatted ePub book. Have you ruled them out?

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I returned an ebook to Whitcoull's with success. I've never tried with Amazon or Kobo, but then, I haven't yet had reason to.

Easily, hands down, the worst "formatted" ebook I have bought is Penguin's First Rumpole Omnibus which is "riddled" with errors -- at least one OCR-like every page. You know, stuff like "weU" instead of "well". Shocking. But, I enjoyed the stories so I kept it. It made me appreciate, even more, the simple craftsmanship you'll find in some of the (legitimate) reprint houses like Langtail Press.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:10 AM   #8
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Arrghus, you are not alone. As long as Amazon doesn't find that unbreakable DRM and keep offering the cheapest books, I will keep shopping with them.
What I can't stand is an eBook seller offering a book in PDF format. Anything I do with a pdf file does not make it as good as a mobi format book converted to Epub for my reader.
din
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #9
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I'll also occasionally download Kindle books and convert them, usually just the freebies. I'd still rather check a book out at the library for free than pay more than $5 for the ebook, so I don't shop around or compare ebook prices too much.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:16 AM   #10
Vic333
Connoisseur
Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I buy Kindle books often, though I have a Nook, simply because B&N seem to be so slow in getting titles in. Amazon is fast and often cheaper.
Vic333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #11
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Haven't they ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I think you have things worked out okay. As long as Amazon doesn't come up with some sort of uncrackable DRM (unlikely), you're good to go. .
and.........

" Arrghus, you are not alone. As long as Amazon doesn't find that unbreakable DRM .................................... "

I gathered they have find just that - or is this not so ?

Am I again behind the times, and overdue a peek @ Alf's again ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #12
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Since Agency Pricing went live I haven't found a single book that I want that's cheaper at Amazon than at Kobo, B&N or ebooks.com. I've also seen price drops on books hit Kobo and B&N 2 or 3 days before Amazon, so I usually only buy from Amazon if I can't get the book I want anywhere else.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #13
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
My ebook store of choice is the one that offers the ebook at a good price. I have a Nook, but I've bought Kindle versions and had no problem converting them to epub. On a similar note, when I only had a Sony I had bought a few epubs from B&N and stripped DRM.

Victor
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #14
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
the one benefit is that it's effortless to send kindle books to kindle, ipad, or pc, whereas there's an extra step or two with a sony, b&n, reader, etc.
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:57 PM   #15
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
Arrghus, you are not alone. As long as Amazon doesn't find that unbreakable DRM...
I doubt that there's going to be an unbreakable DRM. So, no worries there.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote