Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-12-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
abhiroopb
abhiroopb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 3 - Battery Issues

I purchased the Kindle 3 Wi-Fi last Thursday.

Initially, I did not read the instructions and only charged it until the yellow light went out on the device and the green light came on.

I started reading soon after and in about a day the battery was at 25% (the battery indicator showed 25%).

So, yesterday I left it charging for about 4 hours, the battery indicator was full at the time.

I then read for an hour at night and left it. I usually "leave it" and I believe it goes into sleep mode after some time. The wireless is always switched off.

This morning I checked and the battery was at 80%.

Is there any reason why the battery is dropping so quickly? Should I be doing something different?

Thanks!
abhiroopb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
It is most likely indexing. If you put a lot of books on the Kindle it will index for awhile. Give it a couple of days with a complete charging and you should be good.
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
abhiroopb
abhiroopb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks I just read that it may be doing that on another forum. Glad to have confirmation of it!

But, I must say it would be nice if there was a clearer way of telling why the battery was dropping. It's a little strange to see the battery indicator drop for no apparent reason!
abhiroopb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:17 AM   #4
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Please give the unit a full three or four discharge-charge cycles in the next few days ... and then let us know how battery performance is for you!
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:31 AM   #5
Zerodime
Enthusiast
Zerodime began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Hmm have somethign similar.
- checked if it is indexing (it's not)
- WifiOff
- but Screensaver off too
After about 2 days of heavy page-flipping the battery was at about 40%
Especialy when I left the device unattended (so it shows the last page open)
Have to see how it'll work with screensaver on again.
Zerodime is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 07:01 AM   #6
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
You turned the "screensaver" off? How did you do that?
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:52 AM   #7
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I got 8 days out of my first charge, I think I could have got a few more days but I was travelling so I charged it because I didnt want it to die on me whilst away from home. Now on my second charge.

But people are saying it needs a few charges before it reaches it's potential. So far it looks like the second charge will last just as long as the first one did!
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #8
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
Disabling the "screensaver" has no effect on powerdraw. e-ink screens only use power when the image on the screen changes. If an e-ink device is disassembled, the screen will continue to show the last-displayed image!

My battery life isn't as good so far as it was on my K2, but it's also a newer battery that hasn't been discharged/charged as often. Some types of rechargeable batteries have to "calibrate" before they start showing the long life they have in later service. It does seem to be behaving more now that all 300 books I dumped on it on day one are indexed.
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buran View Post
Disabling the "screensaver" has no effect on powerdraw. e-ink screens only use power when the image on the screen changes. If an e-ink device is disassembled, the screen will continue to show the last-displayed image!
I didn't think it was currently possible to alter the screensaver timer as there isn't an easy way to root the Kindle yet. If you've got root access then you can alter the power management configuration. Just curious as to how Zerodime did it.

The screensaver itself doesn't do anything as you said, eInk screens don't draw any power if they're not being updated. It will make the rest of the Kindle go into sleep mode though so the power consumption from that is slightly lower.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:59 PM   #10
CHARLES539
CHARLES539 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3g + wifi
kindle 3 (3g + wifi) battery life

HELLO
I recently bought a kindle 3, charged it and started reading.
I kept track of how many hours Ive read for and was wondering if anyone else has done the same?
I got 52 Hours and 20 Min. off my first charge.

anyone else keeping track?
CHARLES539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:54 AM   #11
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
That's not really true is it, That e-ink uses no power unless updating the screen, How does the Kindle know a certain amount of time has passed and to then change the screen saver ? (Magic) It's a bit of a misconception that they only use power turning pages, After all if that were the case there would be no need for an On\Off button would there ? A truer statement would be that they use more power when turning\refreshing the screen and a little when idling.

Last edited by gargoyle67; 09-26-2010 at 04:58 AM.
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:36 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyle67 View Post
That's not really true is it, That e-ink uses no power unless updating the screen, How does the Kindle know a certain amount of time has passed and to then change the screen saver ? (Magic) It's a bit of a misconception that they only use power turning pages, After all if that were the case there would be no need for an On\Off button would there ? I truer statement would be that they use more power when turning\refreshing the screen and a little when idling.
That's correct; the Kindle is in a "coma" when it's in sleep mode; it's not "dead". It's still doing background stuff like updating the clock, talking to Amazon's servers every so often (if you have 3G enabled), and so on.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:02 AM   #13
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
Please give the unit a full three or four discharge-charge cycles in the next few days ... and then let us know how battery performance is for you!
So you should let it run down completely a few times you mean?

bt
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:18 AM   #14
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
Most LiION batteries will tolerate shallow discharge/recharge cycles, unlike the older NiMH batteries that had a 'memory'.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:45 AM   #15
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
I must be lucky--I bought the k3 wifi over a month ago, left the wifi on all the time, (but it's been mostly in sleep mode) and have only charged it once and it's still at 30%!
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote