Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
shibamistress
Groupie
shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KSO (3G), Nook Color, android apps
KSO wifi connectivity questions on home network

Ok, so I got my brand new KSO wifi today and then went to register it. We had major connectivity issues (so I finally registered through my macbook on Amazon's website instead).

There are a number of problems, and it may be that I'm just too new to sort this out, so bear with me.

First, we had a problem with it not accepting the password for our connection. Part of the issue is my husband has chosen a super long complicated password, which of course, would be easy enough to copy and paste in, but is not easy to type in. For the time being, we changed to an easy password so I get the KSO connected.

Still wouldn't work.

After some googling, I found out that the Kindle cannot connect to wifi networks using "n" unless they are in b or g compatibility mode. So we switched over, and it connected easily.

The problem is we don't want to stay in b or g compatibility mode all the time, as it slows down the connection on everything else. But I guess I have to do this to connect the KSO to our wifi? Is there a way around this?

And will I be able to copy/paste a long password into the wifi connect box? (I haven't figured out how to do this, but it must be possible)

Another question, if I really can't get around the problem with n wifi, would I be better off having the kindle with 3 g? I know I can side load stuff onto the kindle, but really, if I can't use wifi easily at home and have to sideload stuff, I could have just got a sony.

Would I have the same wifi problems with the nook?

Am I going to have to change up our router settings every time I want to connect the KSO?

(And sorry if these sound like obvious questions--I've only had the KSO for a couple of hours, and I usually let my husband deal with the router settings, so I'm not real up to speed on that.
shibamistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:00 AM   #2
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool acces point

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibamistress View Post
After some googling, I found out that the Kindle cannot connect to wifi networks using "n" unless they are in b or g compatibility mode. So we switched over, and it connected easily.

Am I going to have to change up our router settings every time I want to connect the KSO?
nope, just attach a b/g access point somewhere on your network.

here's one
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 02:03 AM   #3
Buscador
Buscador began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 KSO
To more fully answer your question, yes, you will need to change your router settings every time you connect by wi-fi with your current equipment. You have three options I can think of:
1. Do research on the Internet to see which routers will function in both G and N mode simultaneously without significant slowdown (mostly the more expensive ones) and replace your router with one of them.
2. Assuming you have the normal home setup where you have a single "wi-fi router" which also has at least one open Ethernet port (the place where you plug the cable in), you can buy a separate wi-fi access point and set it to G-only mode.
3. Return your Kindle and upgrade to a 3G version.

Option 1 will cost the most. Option 3 will cost only a little more than option 2 and is less hassle, so you may just want to go that route if you don't plan to buy additional Kindles or other devices that don't support N.
Buscador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
shibamistress
Groupie
shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the answers. I'm mulling over returning it for the 3g option...in some ways that is the easiest. Or I can just deal with switching over the router when I want to connect. I imagine most of the time I won't need the wifi on anyway....I seem to want it most now, in the beginning, as I'm trying to get samples downloaded, collections arranged, etc.

I do appreciate the answers!

eta: talked it over with my husband, and we decided 3g was the way to go for us, so my new kindle is going back and I ordered the 3g version. Well, it's what I originally wanted anyway, so I guess it all will work out in the end.

Last edited by shibamistress; 06-11-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I think that is the right decision. I certainly wouldn't want to have to rework my router every time I wanted to use wifi.

By the way, thanks for posting this thread. I was looking to upgrade but have a "n" router. I'll go with the 3G when I upgrade and save myself the hassle thanks to this thread!
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
BTW, 3G is a lot slower than WiFi.

If all you intend to do online from the Kindle is download ebooks you've either purchased from Amazon using another computer or emailed to your Kindle's address from a computer, the speed difference will matter very little.

If you intend to browse the ebook store, Amazon's or one of the free ones like PG or Manybooks, from your Kindle you may find WiFi preferable and should really consider "Option #2", adding a second WiFi access point. You'll still have the same "long password security issue", but you only have to successfully type it in once.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
shibamistress
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
BTW, 3G is a lot slower than WiFi.

If all you intend to do online from the Kindle is download ebooks you've either purchased from Amazon using another computer or emailed to your Kindle's address from a computer, the speed difference will matter very little.

If you intend to browse the ebook store, Amazon's or one of the free ones like PG or Manybooks, from your Kindle you may find WiFi preferable and should really consider "Option #2", adding a second WiFi access point. You'll still have the same "long password security issue", but you only have to successfully type it in once.
Also good to know. I probably will mostly be doing the first, and downloading chapter samples, so I suspect most of the time I won't care that it will be slower. Part of the frustration for me with having to change router settings was simply a luxury, really--I wanted to be able to be connected on impulse, esp. for those book samples! If I want to do more, I can go ahead and do the router change, but at least I won't HAVE to do it everytime (esp. since I actually have to have my husband do it, as I don't really understand his rather complicated set up).

So this seems like the easiest solution. and glad this thread helped someone else too!
Old 06-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #8
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
This got me scared and I looked up my modem/router. I thought we bought a N but apparently it's a G so we wont have any issues.

Is there that big of a difference between a G and a N?
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:29 AM   #9
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
Speed on N-compatible devices. N- Devices have more speed than G compatible devices.

N speed up to: up to 288.8M on 2.4G band (this the world wide deployed) and up to 600M on 5G band (rarely used , because end devices must 5G radios on it.)

G speed up to 54.4M on 2.4G Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
This got me scared and I looked up my modem/router. I thought we bought a N but apparently it's a G so we wont have any issues.

Is there that big of a difference between a G and a N?
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:40 AM   #10
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydive View Post
Speed on N-compatible devices. N- Devices have more speed than G compatible devices.

N speed up to: up to 288.8M on 2.4G band (this the world wide deployed) and up to 600M on 5G band (rarely used , because end devices must 5G radios on it.)

G speed up to 54.4M on 2.4G Band

Can you dumb that down and repeat all that? Lol went over my head.

Trying to figure out if it's worth upgrading my modem.

ETA: I Googled and think I got it lol.

Last edited by odiakkoh; 06-12-2011 at 01:24 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:52 PM   #11
shibamistress
Groupie

I can't explain how it works--though thanks for the explanation above, which does give me a vague idea of the difference. Roughly 4x faster?

But what I can say is that what got my husband all riled up: apparently, when you set the router, it works at the lower speed if you set it to handle things that require g. So when we had it set that way for my Kindle, our connection speed was quite a bit slower. Very noticeably slower, actually. I found it frustrating how slow pages were loading. Of course, if you don't have an n-capable router in the first place, you probably wouldn't notice it.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #12
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Compatibility mode should allow things that connect in g-mode to work at g-speeds, and things that connect in n-mode to work at n-speeds, I think.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #13
shibamistress
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Compatibility mode should allow things that connect in g-mode to work at g-speeds, and things that connect in n-mode to work at n-speeds, I think.
I t was just what my husband told me, as he deals with the router, so I don't have a definitive answer here. But I'll tell you everything sure was slowed down til we changed back to our original router settings.

on the other hand, we have comcast, and it often slows down inexplicably or goes out entirely, so who knows? could have been a coincidence. My husband is far from right all the time!
Old 06-13-2011, 10:43 PM   #14
odiakkoh
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibamistress View Post
I t was just what my husband told me, as he deals with the router, so I don't have a definitive answer here. But I'll tell you everything sure was slowed down til we changed back to our original router settings.

on the other hand, we have comcast, and it often slows down inexplicably or goes out entirely, so who knows? could have been a coincidence. My husband is far from right all the time!
Eww Comcast. The worst 6 months of my life was when we had them.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:30 PM   #15
shibamistress
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
Eww Comcast. The worst 6 months of my life was when we had them.
I have many, many stories of their incompetence, but I won't regale with you all that (though my favorite is how they said they were going to have a to dig a trench to get a line out to us until another comcast guy came out and noticed we already had a line connected to our house, which of course we'd been telling them all along).

But anyway, they pretty much suck, but QWEST was other option, and they are even worse.