Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #571
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I have read more new authors this year than I have in the past 5 years combined, maybe even 10 years, because of it. Many of those were short stories and many of them were free, but I have purchased several other stories by the authors I have really liked and will continue to do so.
I'm here, too. I've read more new authors and new books this year than at least the last two years. I have some favorites I have to re-read every year (or few months, lol) but this is the first time I've had so much NEW. Fun!
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:29 AM   #572
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Woohoo! 10,000 pages (estimated) and 30 books read.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 09:05 PM   #573
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Woohoo! 10,000 pages (estimated) and 30 books read.
Congrats!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:46 AM   #574
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
If I am going to read 100 books this year, how many books would I have to have read by now?

Since June is the middle of the year then by June I should have read 50 books. Each month for the next half of the year I should read 50/6 or 8.333 books. Since its now the end of september, three months after june I should have read 25 additional books or 75 books if I am going to read the 100 books. I am quite a bit behind that at this point.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:01 AM   #575
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
If I am going to read 100 books this year, how many books would I have to have read by now?

Since June is the middle of the year then by June I should have read 50 books. Each month for the next half of the year I should read 50/6 or 8.333 books. Since its now the end of september, three months after june I should have read 25 additional books or 75 books if I am going to read the 100 books. I am quite a bit behind that at this point.
Whether you make the arbitrary target of 100 books this year or not doesn't really matter, IMO. What's important is the extra enjoyment that comes from having kept track of your reading, so you can look back and see which books you really liked at the time, and compare that to which books you can easily remember after a while. The best books work both ways, but I do find that some books are enjoyable, but instantly forgotten, while others I might not enjoy so much at the time, but will stay with me.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2011, 10:10 AM   #576
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:

Well, I'm further behind than you, but I still think I'll hit 100. Thirteen weeks till the end of the year, a rate of three books a week--doable, unless I get bogged down or decide to read some epic.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:36 AM   #577
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I obviously won't hit anywhere near 100, so I'm already thinking about what to read next year.
Finishing the Dresden Files, as well as, reading the Honor Harrington and Black Dagger Brotherhood series are on the top of my list.

As for this year, I'm hoping to finish the Rachel Morgan/Hollows series and the Anne of Green Gables series. I've decided to read Dr. Moreau for this month's book club selecton and the SciFi choice for next month. I'll have to wait and see on December though.

I certainly have no shortage of books, I just need to better organize my time.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #578
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
If you do read the Honor Harrington novels start out at webscriptions.net you can get the first two: On Basilisk Station and Honor the Queen for $0, although you will be charged $5 each for the remainder, not a problem in my opinion. I am currently on volume five and i am hagining on ever word.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #579
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
If you do read the Honor Harrington novels start out at webscriptions.net you can get the first two: On Basilisk Station and Honor the Queen for $0, although you will be charged $5 each for the remainder, not a problem in my opinion. I am currently on volume five and i am hagining on ever word.
Oh, I have all of the books and anthologies already. Thanks.
My hubby buys all of them in hard cover, and Baen started adding discs with all or most of the books on it. So far, I've only had to buy one anthology online and that was $5.00 on Baen's site.

That is a great tip for any newcomers to the series, so thank you.

I read the first 9 a few years ago. I got burned out in the middle if book 10. This will be my first reading of the anthologies though, and I already have them all set up in chronological order on my Kindle.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:32 AM   #580
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Almost done with the challenge!! I've got about 10 books left to read...I never thought I'd be able to do this...and the amazing thing is if I go back on goodreads and look at teh list, I can actually remember what each of them are about LOL
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:05 AM   #581
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Started book number 40 this week. Back into more serious territory after a bit of a Neil Gaiman festival. Definitely more books and pages than I thought I was capable of reading in a year. This whole forum has just made me really love reading more and more. Thanks to whomever started this silly challenge in the first place and to everyone on MR that makes reading whatever anyone wants to read fun.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #582
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Started book number 40 this week. Back into more serious territory after a bit of a Neil Gaiman festival. Definitely more books and pages than I thought I was capable of reading in a year. This whole forum has just made me really love reading more and more. Thanks to whomever started this silly challenge in the first place and to everyone on MR that makes reading whatever anyone wants to read fun.
Congrats! The Terminator was the person who tried to get us all organized, then the "core group" (including me) spend some time debating how we should do it, but finally in January we settled into it. Some people stayed with the social group here, some of us moved it to our Goodreads Group, others said "I just wanna read, y'all can work it out among yourselves". So, we all ended up doing it in whatever way felt most comfortable to each of us.

My Goodreads link should be in my sig somewhere. I think I'm on book #72, which is surprising because I'm extremely inconsistent. I'd read about a book a day for a few weeks, then get sidetracked by other things and not read more than one over the following two months. I'm still not quite back on track for 100, but I'm just thrilled that I've read that many books this year.

Are you thinking about doing a challenge again next year? (Hard to believe just how close that is!) I, and a few others I think, have decided to do a different challenge for 2012. Since I found myself passing over longer books this year (500+ pages) I've decided that I'm going to focus on total page count next year instead of total books. I think I'll take this year's page count and add 10% for next year's goal.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:20 PM   #583
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
There is a total page count challenge still ongoing for this year. I misplaced the link, but it should be found with a search.

I'm aiming for 50,000 pages. So far I'm at 38,301 and 91 books.

Last edited by Crusader; 10-19-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #584
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Wow. Based on what was discussed regarding "what counts as a book" in this challenge it was around 200 pages to count as a book so short stories and novellas don't count. If you are aiming for 50,000 pages that would come out to 250 books for this year! I am impressed.

I decided to shoot for 20,000 pages since that is the 100 books x 200 pages/book. I wanted to have some form of goal, but I also didn't want to limit myself from reading short stories and long books by just focusing on # of books, so pages was the way to go for me.

For ebooks that are not in print, I have kept track of total locations in each book and for the books that do have pages I get a #locations/page average and use that to calculate how many pages might be in the ebooks only by # locations. I round a couple times in my calc to keep it conservative.

One thing I found is that there is a huge range for locations/page. My range is from 5.75 per page (short story w/ very little formatting) to 31.9 per page (scanned/OCRd book), but most (75%) are between 10 and 20. I am using 17 pages/location as the average.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #585
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
There is no way to get a reliable number of pages for ebooks, and frankly, I don't care. I'm at book #70 at the moment (slightly behind, alas), and while there were some shorter ones most had 250+ pages. The important thing to keep in mind, for me, is that I'm not challenging anybody but myself.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a terminator production