Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #16
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
Looks like you'll be able to sideload apps, and Blossom said in another thread that Mantano will work (plus you have all those reader apps in the Amazon app store). It's too bad the stock app is an afterthought.

B&N "special" colors? I love it.
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #17
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
No, Jack. Seems the iPad app for any bookstore is always better than Android. *sigh*
You're hard to please.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 02:02 PM   #18
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Yuck!

This is friendly banter here. Have you used Sepia in other apps? I'm curious as to whether or not you have something to compare it to.
No, just with the Kindle app. But I've set Kindle on my phone, my PC and my TouchPad all up with the sepia background. It just feels more restful to me.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #19
jswinden
Nameless Being

At least one of the 3rd party apps for Android/iOS uses black text with the sepia background. I can't remember which app though. I find that is quite readable. However the light brown text with the sepia background used by the Fire is brutal on my eyes!

EDIT: Moon+ Android app uses black text with a sepia background for one of the themes.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-16-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:07 PM   #20
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
At least one of the 3rd party apps for Android/iOS uses black text with the sepia background. I can't remember which app though. I find that is quite readable. However the light brown text with the sepia background used by the Fire is brutal on my eyes!
Same here Jack. It's the light brown text that's bothersome. I can work with the yellowish background if it had black text. In fact, if you look at the Welcome Letter (on the Fire) with the Sepia background you'll notice the text is black. It looks really nice. Wish we could get that for books.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 02:13 PM   #21
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

EDIT: Moon+ Android app uses black text with a sepia background for one of the themes.
Mantano as well. The NOOK app. It's pretty common, so I was surprised with the Kindle's look.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #22
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
My God! Amazon owns Stanza now, why aren't they stealing Stanza's backgrounds and options to make their own reader better.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:24 PM   #23
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Mantano as well. The NOOK app. It's pretty common, so I was surprised with the Kindle's look.
There is no brightness bar on the Fire Reader like the standard app had. It's so bright it's like looking at a headlight.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #24
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
There is no brightness bar on the Fire Reader like the standard app had. It's so bright it's like looking at a headlight.
This isn't true, Blossom. Tap the gear in the upper right corner. You get a dropdown that has brightness on it.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:49 PM   #25
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
This isn't true, Blossom. Tap the gear in the upper right corner. You get a dropdown that has brightness on it.
She's referring to brightness that's app specific. You may want it very dim when reading, but when you exit the reader app, everything else is dim as well with the current setup. Not a good thing. The Kindle Android app and many others have the brightness setting within the app itself for this reason. The NOOKcolor didn't at first, but they eventually included it. Perhaps we'll see the same.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #26
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
She's referring to brightness that's app specific. You may want it very dim when reading, but when you exit the reader app, everything else is dim as well with the current setup. Not a good thing. The Kindle Android app and many others have the brightness setting within the app itself for this reason. The NOOKcolor didn't at first, but they eventually included it. Perhaps we'll see the same.
Yep. I can't use Reader app because they removed this. The black theme I see my face in, the Sepia is too washed out and the White is too bright. Good thing I got Mantano! however I love how Topaz books look on the Fire. They look readable!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #27
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
My God! Amazon owns Stanza now, why aren't they stealing Stanza's backgrounds and options to make their own reader better.
Years ago they bought out MobileRead and used their eBook format to create mobi for Kindles. As I recall, the MobileRead books were much better formatted. I used to read them on a Palm PDA. Amazon apparently stripped out a lot formatting.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #28
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Yep. I can't use Reader app because they removed this. The black theme I see my face in, the Sepia is too washed out and the White is too bright. Good thing I got Mantano! however I love how Topaz books look on the Fire. They look readable!
Once you get Screen filter set up the way you like see if that helps. Let us know. It worked for me.

Last night I turned the Fire backlight down as far as it would go without Screen Filter. While reading I turned out all the lights and the Fire lit up the room! Way to bright. Screen Filter took care of that issue though.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #29
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Years ago they bought out MobileRead and used their eBook format to create mobi for Kindles. As I recall, the MobileRead books were much better formatted. I used to read them on a Palm PDA. Amazon apparently stripped out a lot formatting.
I think you mean MobiPocket. MobileRead is this web site.

Quote:
Moon and Mantano have good brightness settings withing the app.

How good do these apps look on the Kindle Fire?

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 11-16-2011 at 04:04 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #30
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I think you mean MobiPocket.=X=
Yep! I'm sleep deprived because my Kindle Fire kept me up too late last night.