Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Goodreads integration - 2 Kindles

Is there a fix for this? Mother and daughter both have PW2's with the update already on them. Both devices are registered to the same account. When the daughter connects to Goodreads, it takes her to her mother's account.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
It looks like Amazon assumes One Amazon account = One Goodreads Account.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Did she ask Amazon if there was a way to link it to a different account? Is the goodreads account linked to different Facebook accounts, you could link it that way?
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Did she ask Amazon if there was a way to link it to a different account? Is the goodreads account linked to different Facebook accounts, you could link it that way?
Agreed Kindle support is the best way to find out.

I just contacted them the other day about the Kindle Fire's Goodreads integration being pretty useless. Got a reply back that they were forwarding my suggestions to developers team. I do believe feedback really works as long as it's makes sense.

I talk to two Amazon support people last month on why their MP3 android app did not play by genre when the iOS did. I think I said "Do you not love us Android users the same?" Well last night I got my wish the MP3 app finally plays by Genre with the new update. I waited over a year for this!

This is the third time I had them add or fix something I reported.

So Amazon does listen to you just be polite and helpful in your comments.

I think it's time Amazon adds sub child accounts. FreeTime is not the answer.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i agree Blossom, I too sent in a feedback suggestion regarding additional features to add to GR Integration. I am looking for the ability to change status as well as add/remove to custom shelves. I am hoping what we have so far is just phase 1 and things will improve with later updates.

I was just looking at the settings on Goodreads.com, I am wonder if both mother and daughter set up their goodreads account, if they will link to the separate accounts rather than the same GR account. Please ask them to try that and see if it resolves the issue or not.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
i agree Blossom, I too sent in a feedback suggestion regarding additional features to add to GR Integration. I am looking for the ability to change status as well as add/remove to custom shelves. I am hoping what we have so far is just phase 1 and things will improve with later updates.

I was just looking at the settings on Goodreads.com, I am wonder if both mother and daughter set up their goodreads account, if they will link to the separate accounts rather than the same GR account. Please ask them to try that and see if it resolves the issue or not.
Goodreads on Kindle Fire replaces the normal Goodreads app so it's frustrating. I sideloaded the normal GR app because the other app is useless to me. No Status updates, no Reading progress, no way to add books or search for them. There is only a add Amazon books and even that has no search function so you have scroll through all your books to add them. So that's like 6000 books to look through for me! I was highly disappointed with the lack of function. As I told Support it's useless other than reading your friends updates.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #7
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Goodreads on Kindle Fire replaces the normal Goodreads app so it's frustrating. I sideloaded the normal GR app because the other app is useless to me. No Status updates, no Reading progress, no way to add books or search for them. There is only a add Amazon books and even that has no search function so you have scroll through all your books to add them. So that's like 6000 books to look through for me! I was highly disappointed with the lack of function. As I told Support it's useless other than reading your friends updates.

Same here which is why I do not bother with it on the pw2. I was hoping for the same functionality of the previous GR app at the least. I am actually glad they have not updated the Fire HD yet because I use the app a lot on my Fire and I would hate to lose that.

Between that and the collections fiasco I am very disappointed with this update.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Goodreads allows custom shelves for all users. Simply duplicate the standard shelves into "Mom's" and "Kid's" and then redistribute the book titles.

From Home on the internet site go to Add Shelf and do your own customization. They will be synced to the two Kindles.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:14 AM   #9
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Goodreads allows custom shelves for all users. Simply duplicate the standard shelves into "Mom's" and "Kid's" and then redistribute the book titles.

From Home on the internet site go to Add Shelf and do your own customization. They will be synced to the two Kindles.

That is not an optimal solution, especially if the users already have their own GR accounts, why should they merge the two when they should be handled separately? Once again Amazon did not think this through, and take into account the advanced usage of many readers.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #10
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Copy and Paste

Quote:
That is not an optimal solution, especially if the users already have their own GR accounts, why should they merge the two when they should be handled separately? Once again Amazon did not think this through, and take into account the advanced usage of many readers.
Open THREE Goodreads accounts after setting up a third called "Merged." Then simply copy and paste from the two original accounts to the new one using a PC.

Then simply sign out the one on each Kindle and sign into the new one with the custom shelves.

Naturally, it would be better if Goodreads was updated by Amazon to do this automatically but, if one doesn't want to wait a few years for Amazon to do it, one can work around the problem now.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #11
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Open THREE Goodreads accounts after setting up a third called "Merged." Then simply copy and paste from the two original accounts to the new one using a PC.

Then simply sign out the one on each Kindle and sign into the new one with the custom shelves.

Naturally, it would be better if Goodreads was updated by Amazon to do this automatically but, if one doesn't want to wait a few years for Amazon to do it, one can work around the problem now.
Once again I disagree, why should a user create a new account just to merge the two existing accounts. And let's skip all the problems a merged account creates. For example if both readers participate in the Goodreads annual reading challenge. A merged account would not be able to separately count the books read for each reader. No, a merged account is not a viable solution. And don't get me started on attempting to move my GR account into a separate account, I have entirely too many books, shelves, listopia lists, friends etc... to move to another account.

The ability to have separate GR accounts to go with separate devices would be ideal. No I think the OP should contact Amazon or GR and see how to remove the device from a specific account to move it to another account. Sorry but your solution works only for those users like yourself with a small amount of books and limited shelves on their account. I am sure a large amount of the readers with devices will use the GR integration probably have extensive GR accounts with extensive customization and lots of books. This is an assumption on my part but I am sure my husband with his @100 books would not want to merge his GR account with mine that has over @6000. And don't get me started how I would feel about another user or two fudging with my shelves and books. UGH, I shudder at the thought.

These comments are all based on how I would feel about it, and I am not assuming that I am in the majority or that this is what should be done.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #12
sirmaru
Wizard

Another approach

Quote:
Once again I disagree, why should a user create a new account just to merge the two existing accounts. And let's skip all the problems a merged account creates. For example if both readers participate in the Goodreads annual reading challenge. A merged account would not be able to separately count the books read for each reader. No, a merged account is not a viable solution. And don't get me started on attempting to move my GR account into a separate account, I have entirely too many books, shelves, listopia lists, friends etc... to move to another account.

The ability to have separate GR accounts to go with separate devices would be ideal. No I think the OP should contact Amazon or GR and see how to remove the device from a specific account to move it to another account. Sorry but your solution works only for those users like yourself with a small amount of books and limited shelves on their account. I am sure a large amount of the readers with devices will use the GR integration probably have extensive GR accounts with extensive customization and lots of books. This is an assumption on my part but I am sure my husband with his @100 books would not want to merge his GR account with mine that has over @6000. And don't get me started how I would feel about another user or two fudging with my shelves and books. UGH, I shudder at the thought.

These comments are all based on how I would feel about it, and I am not assuming that I am in the majority or that this is what should be done.

Then the best solution is two Amazon accounts and two Goodreads accounts.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #13
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Then the best solution is two Amazon accounts and two Goodreads accounts.
I agree this works for me, but there are others who are comfortable with one Amazon account, multiple devices and multiple GR accounts.

I find it funny that Amazon encourages users to have more than one device, but their software integration is not designed for users with more than one device. Their software team is not very innovative in this respect. Not only have fallen short in the cloud collections department but now the GR Integration. I wonder if things are the same in relation to Audibles. It probably is since they have that thing to link your Audible account to your Amazon account for the immersive reading. I wonder if it is possible to link more than one Audible account to the same Amazon account. Or link multiple Amazon accounts to the same Audible account, I doubt it though.

EDIT: Nope nevermind, found this on the Audible page:

Quote:
What if I have more than one Audible account?

Currently, you can only link one Audible account with one Amazon account. If you have more than one Audible account you will have to link it to a brand new Amazon account.

Last edited by nynaevelan; 12-08-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #14
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Hubby and I only have one Amazon Account, we always have and wouldn't dream of creating a new account for one of us. We have 4 Kindles, and right now, with over 800 books purchased it's too late to split the account as one of us would lose our books.

Tbh why should we? Amazon allow multiple Kindles per account, so why introduce an upgrade designed to penalise customers who do have multiple Kindles?

We also only have one GR and one Audible account, again these work perfectly for us so I don't see why it should all go horribly wrong now.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #15
sirmaru
Wizard

My wife and I share one Amazon account and one Goodreads account and share four Kindles among them. However, we read mostly the same eBooks with my wife occasionally reading detective stories apart from the history eBooks we both read.

My kids, grandkids and great grandkids only use Apple products and have no Amazon accounts other than one of them who received a Kindle from me as a gift.