Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #16
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I agree with many of your points. But as far as iOS assured to be current on compatible devices, I don't see it that way. iOS7 will support the iPhone 4, but not all functions will work. The say was true for iOS6. What good is claiming that the iPhone 4 will run iOS7 if not all functions (and their respective APIs) won't work?
True, some iOS7 features will not be supported on older devices due to lack of hardware ability and/or planned obsolescence, etc. You have to decide if your older device would benefit with iOS7. But at least the choice is yours and not up to a cellular carrier or device manufacturer as to whether it can be implemented on your device w/o jailbreaking. Personally I would much prefer iOS6 on an older device than a newer device running the latest Android version.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #17
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
iBooks is not included in the developer preview by the way. Sorry guys.
I'm not surprised by that as it doesn't comes pre-installed. You have to install it on new devices. After all it is an app and not part of the OS.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #18
mattcurtis
Book Lover, Dev of Hyphen
mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone (Hyphen)
Quote:
I cringed when they announced "true" multitasking and autostarting of apps. It has been the selective/intelligent multitasking of iOS that has allowed it to have significantly longer battery life than Android devices. If there is a hit to battery life because of this multitasking and autostarting then I'll simply switch back to Android where I'll suffer the same but at least have an open platform for developing and configuring.
That won't really be a problem if you aren't careless with your multitasking. And, in addition, the hardware will be updated to match.
mattcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #19
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Quote:
I cringed when they announced "true" multitasking and autostarting of apps. It has been the selective/intelligent multitasking of iOS that has allowed it to have significantly longer battery life than Android devices. If there is a hit to battery life because of this multitasking and autostarting then I'll simply switch back to Android where I'll suffer the same but at least have an open platform for developing and configuring.
It's not exactly "true" multitasking, as the OS still handles scheduling and will intelligently batch background requests and wait for opportune times to run apps in the background. I'm sure there will probably be some kind of hit to battery life, but it appears that Apple is doing their best to still put restrictions on multitasking to ensure that battery life won't get decimated.
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #20
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTravers View Post
It's not exactly "true" multitasking, as the OS still handles scheduling and will intelligently batch background requests and wait for opportune times to run apps in the background. I'm sure there will probably be some kind of hit to battery life, but it appears that Apple is doing their best to still put restrictions on multitasking to ensure that battery life won't get decimated.
You wish. What I hope is that they do something about the battery life before release. Currently, it sucks. I am actively terminating *all* apps as I finish with them. I didnt, last night. Had forgotten and left open Stanza (which does nothing to the battery at all), Safari, and mail. Lying on my beside table for 6 hours, mail and safari managed to deplete the battery by 15%. Others are experiencing the same sorts of issues. This multitasking thing is a crock. Its not needed at all.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #21
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
You wish. What I hope is that they do something about the battery life before release. Currently, it sucks. I am actively terminating *all* apps as I finish with them. I didnt, last night. Had forgotten and left open Stanza (which does nothing to the battery at all), Safari, and mail. Lying on my beside table for 6 hours, mail and safari managed to deplete the battery by 15%. Others are experiencing the same sorts of issues. This multitasking thing is a crock. Its not needed at all.
Totally agree! I will add that this applies to ALL smartphones. Before I got my iPhone 5 I had a Motorola Atrix 4G with Android for 2 years. It was much worse than the iPhone at draining, and more unpredictable too. BTW, I've read conflicting reports about "closing" iOS apps by double-pressing the Home button then deleting the app icons that appear. Some say it helps. Others say that is only a holder for icons to make it quicker to switch between apps from within another app and thus does absolutely nothing to conserve battery. As far as I can tell from experience the latter is correct, or so it seems.

The best way to conserve battery is to stop unnecessary "pushes" from apps. The more an app phones home to its mother ship, the more the battery drains. Apple needs to better address this, and from the WWDC it seems that iOS7 will. No idea if it will be effective though. But limit the number of apps that "push" data to your iPhone, limit how often they push, and limit how many apps can use your location. These are battery drainers, and most apps work fine without knowing your precise location. Also limit which apps use the compass, that is another battery drain.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:19 AM   #22
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
You do realize this is beta 1, don't you? It's funny how every year people complain about battery life when the initial beta of the new iOS is released, and every year battery life improves through the betas to the final release. It's a beta. Things will probably get better over the next several months.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #23
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTravers View Post
You do realize this is beta 1, don't you? It's funny how every year people complain about battery life when the initial beta of the new iOS is released, and every year battery life improves through the betas to the final release. It's a beta. Things will probably get better over the next several months.
I'm not really clear on whether @kyteflyer is running iOS7 beta or just referring to iOS in general. Either way there is no reason to get defensive about battery life. iOS and Android both suck at preserving battery life. I do hope iOS7 can get the degree of suckiness down to a more tolerable level, but I'm skeptical as new OSes rarely improve battery life--they usually make it worse.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #24
JTravers
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I'm not really clear on whether @kyteflyer is running iOS7 beta or just referring to iOS in general. Either way there is no reason to get defensive about battery life. iOS and Android both suck at preserving battery life. I do hope iOS7 can get the degree of suckiness down to a more tolerable level, but I'm skeptical as new OSes rarely improve battery life--they usually make it worse.
kyteflyer's referring to the iOS 7 beta.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #25
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I find that iOS6 is very frugal with battery life for background processes. I run a Bluetooth GPS with iPad mapping apps even with the cover closed and they run fine with only miniscule battery power. I have also run a sleep app all night low as a background app and the power barely shows any use. Updating the screen and the backlight are still the major hogs but background process not so much.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:31 AM   #26
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I was running iOS7. I've downgraded. I detest the new "look" and will likely not upgrade unless I absolutely have to. Its because of iOS7 (beta or not... its actually very stable, its just not very nice, IMO) I decided to buy an iPad Mini (just today) before I would not be able to get one that did not come with iOS7 on it. You can never downgrade below the firmware that was installed when you bought. Amazing how my refusal to accept the lower ppi screen in the past has suddenly evaporated. Now, I find it perfectly acceptable. LOL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I find that iOS6 is very frugal with battery life for background processes. I run a Bluetooth GPS with iPad mapping apps even with the cover closed and they run fine with only miniscule battery power. I have also run a sleep app all night low as a background app and the power barely shows any use. Updating the screen and the backlight are still the major hogs but background process not so much.

Dale
Yes, I have never had any battery issues with iOS6, even in its early days. As an example of the differences... on iOS6.1.3 I lost 1% of battery last night, and that was with a few apps "sleeping". The previous night it was 15% on iOS7. That was clearly my mistake for *not* shutting apps down properly. However, it shows how easy it is to forget.

Actually, when I think about it... I think I had more issues with battery life on iOS5, than on 6.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 06-18-2013 at 01:35 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:01 AM   #27
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I still haven't upgraded my "old" (3 - no, wait, 4!!! years) MacBook Pro to Mountain Lion. I've been thinking of doing it lately since I think it would allow better sync options with the iThingies. But maybe I should wait for the next version, if my Mac can bear it. After three years I tend to become reluctant to upgrade to the latest OS as it might bog down an older machine... I guess I need to wait and see what the reviews say.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #28
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
I still haven't upgraded my "old" (3 - no, wait, 4!!! years) MacBook Pro to Mountain Lion. I've been thinking of doing it lately since I think it would allow better sync options with the iThingies. But maybe I should wait for the next version, if my Mac can bear it. After three years I tend to become reluctant to upgrade to the latest OS as it might bog down an older machine... I guess I need to wait and see what the reviews say.
I've got an out-of-Applecare MBP too, 2.66 GHz, mid-2009. It runs 10.8.4 like a dream. Max out your RAM, and you'll be fine.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #29
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Mountain Lion is worth the upgrade, IMO. I ran it happily with 4Gb RAM and a 320GB hard drive. Its happier with more, but 4 is fine. Mavericks... not sure at all. That is, not sure if I will bother upgrading from Mountain Lion. (got 16Gb of RAM winging its way to me at the moment so that will be fun )