Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
What languages will Kindle 3 support besides Russian, Greek and CJK?

There is one very important bit of information I haven't seen mentioned here in the Kindle 3 threads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by www.amazon.com
Support for New Characters
Kindle can now display Cyrillic (such as Russian), Japanese, Chinese (Traditional and Simplified), and Korean characters in addition to Latin and Greek scripts.
This is great news for people wanting to read in other than Latin1 languages.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
There is one very important bit of information I haven't seen mentioned here in the Kindle 3 threads.

This is great news for people wanting to read in other than Latin1 languages.
Thanks for posting this, I overlooked this mention. I pre-ordered last night, and this just adds tremendously to my anticipation to get it in my hands.

I'll be working on some Russian/English texts to help revive my moribund Russian reading skills...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
I hope their Cyrillic support is complete (not just Russian). We'll see.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
I hope their Cyrillic support is complete (not just Russian). We'll see.
It's probably more work to not add all Cyrillic. But we'll see. I just need Russian myself...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
Osiyo
Osiyo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Oh man, they finally add Japanese support...now I really hope these updates roll over to the DXG.
Osiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It's probably more work to not add all Cyrillic
Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiyo View Post
Oh man, they finally add Japanese support...now I really hope these updates roll over to the DXG.
Osiyo, I hope that they upgrade the original Kindle 2 and Kindle DX. People have been hacking theirs to support other languages so I think it is technically possible for them to do the upgrade.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
Annya
Annya began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Greek would be nice, so I could buy Greek pals a worthy gift....
Annya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
It has supported Greek for some time. See the original post "in addition to Latin and Greek scripts".
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote